IU - UCONN Pre-Game, Tuesday Night

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even after Saturday's loss I still have a good feeling that we will win out the rest of the December games.  It is one game and I think or at least hope we can learn from that game and move on.  I picked us to win at UW but was not very confident with that pick but I am confident in these next 4 games.

I think this is an important game.  We need to bounce back and not let the seed get planted in this team's mind of "here we go again" with another loss.  Winning can become a habit, but so can losing, like during the 1-12 stretch last year.  We need to right the ship before it gets too far off course, and I think we will.  

It is bad that the biggest reason I want IU to win Tuesday is so I don't have to read a bunch of "fire Archie" posts/threads? I mean, yeah, I want IU to win because it's good for the team and it helps with NCAA resume, etc., but ultimately I just don't want to have to read the 'every game is a referendum on Archie' posts. I'm not necessarily saying they're wrong, I'd just prefer we be talking about quality wins, long terms health of the program, seeding, being ranked, etc. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It is bad that the biggest reason I want IU to win Tuesday is so I don't have to read a bunch of "fire Archie" posts/threads? I mean, yeah, I want IU to win because it's good for the team and it helps with NCAA resume, etc., but ultimately I just don't want to have to read the 'every game is a referendum on Archie' posts. I'm not necessarily saying they're wrong, I'd just prefer we be talking about quality wins, long terms health of the program, seeding, being ranked, etc. 

Desiring something positive that has the side effect of shutting idiots up is never wrong. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Amen to that because it will happen after every loss.  I wish people could make judgment from the whole body of work instead of one game.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

When I always see these fire the coach post my first reaction who would you hire.  Just looking at the college basketball landscape I just don't see any top coaches out there that would be available.  Also I don't see any up and coming mid majors out there that is tearing it up and we just went that route with Archie.  I hate the argument is that you don't stay with the coach just because there is not a good replacement.  To me if you keep changing coaches every few years you will never get out of that cycle.  Unless we can have our Nick Saban  there is no need to even think about coaching changes.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Desiring something positive that has the side effect of shutting idiots up is never wrong. 

Not everyone who criticizes IU or its coach is an idiot.  There are some very well informed and fact based arguments by some intelligent people.  Please try to not lump everyone into the same boat. Not saying every criticism post is well thought out or intelligent, just they all aren't.  Just like not every positive post is a sunshine up the @ss pumping,  blindly following the leadership like a lemming post.  Just my 2 cents though.  I am usually wrong so take it for what its worth

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not everyone who criticizes IU or its coach is an idiot.  There are some very well informed and fact based arguments by some intelligent people.  Please try to not lump everyone into the same boat. Not saying every criticism post is well thought out or intelligent, just they all aren't.  Just like not every positive post is a sunshine up the @ss pumping,  blindly following the leadership like a lemming post.  Just my 2 cents though.  I am usually wrong so take it for what its worth

You are wrong.

😁

I am usually wrong so take it for what its worth

So am I.  Just ask my wife. 

Not everyone who criticizes IU or its coach is an idiot.  There are some very well informed and fact based arguments by some intelligent people.  Please try to not lump everyone into the same boat. Not saying every criticism post is well thought out or intelligent, just they all aren't.  Just like not every positive post is a sunshine up the @ss pumping,  blindly following the leadership like a lemming post.  Just my 2 cents though.

Absolutely 100% agree.......if the criticism is based on neutral logic.  The "idiots" comment was meant to be limited to those people who only seem to speak up after a loss, and their only suggestions involve radical change ("Fire everyone! They suck! We need better!") that they hope will lead to immediate success. 

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

So am I.  Just ask my wife. 

Absolutely 100% agree.......if the criticism is based on neutral logic.  The "idiots" comment was meant to be limited to those people who only seem to speak up after a loss, and their only suggestions involve radical change ("Fire everyone! They suck! We need better!") that they hope will lead to immediate success. 

The one thing I hate hearing is us positive people are just accepting mediocrity, like we have any influence on what happens in the athletic office.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When I always see these fire the coach post my first reaction who would you hire.  Just looking at the college basketball landscape I just don't see any top coaches out there that would be available.  Also I don't see any up and coming mid majors out there that is tearing it up and we just went that route with Archie.  I hate the argument is that you don't stay with the coach just because there is not a good replacement.  To me if you keep changing coaches every few years you will never get out of that cycle.  Unless we can have our Nick Saban  there is no need to even think about coaching changes.

img24491616.jpg

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The one thing I hate hearing is us positive people are just accepting mediocrity, like we have any influence on what happens in the athletic office.

I don't even mind that.  That's a matter of opinion.  People are entitled to individual opinions. 

What I can't stand is when said individuals can't offer a logical progression of actions that they'd recommend or that back up their opinion.  It's always:
"Fire him and throw the bank at Coach X". 
"Well what if Coach X says no?"
"Uhhhhh......"

I can even buy it if that person says "I expect better results than this in year 3, because Coach Y and Coach A have done it".  Ok, fine.  That's a semi logical pattern of thought.  I might personally believe that 5 years is a more realistic timeline, because more than 2 coaches have had success in that timeline vs 3 years, but at least we're debating something that has a factual basis, not just a knee-jerk reaction.

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Dayton seems to be doing well this year. I don't know who their coach is, but surely if you can win there, you can win at IU. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't even mind that.  That's a matter of opinion.  People are entitled to individual opinions. 

What I can't stand is when said individuals can't offer a logical progression of actions that they'd recommend or that back up their opinion.  It's always:
"Fire him and throw the bank at Coach X". 
"Well what if Coach X says no?"
"Uhhhhh......"

I can even buy it if that person says "I expect better results than this in year 3, because Coach Y and Coach A have done it".  Ok, fine.  That's a semi logical pattern of thought.  I might personally believe that 5 years is a more realistic timeline, because more than 2 coaches have had success in that timeline vs 3 years, but at least we're debating something that has a factual basis, not just a knee-jerk reaction.

The thing is with those people they won't listen to you when you say coach A and B took 3 to 4 years before they turned their program around and became a great coach,

Archived