IU - UCONN Pre-Game, Tuesday Night

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

But honestly if the coaches wife factored into our admins hiring decision then it's no wonder we've been down for so long.

12 years, 7 NCAA, 1 Final Four, 1 Sweet 16....

Why exactly is Marshall so good? Because of one random final four run? 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This guys wife and him wouldn't last 5 minutes in Bloomington. Great coach but his wife is a handful....would never, never ever want that pairing at IU. 

Edit-We have the guy anyway. Talking about replacement to me is either another thread or just plain silly. 

By the way his team that he has had control of for how many years? Is doing worse than IU right now! Please somebody justify the hiring of him and his wife!

And please spare us the "He could recruit better at IU because it's IU! That line ran out years ago!

I would just like to see us play with some heart in this one. It seemed that everyone, including Archie based on his demeanor during the game, seemed resigned to the fact we couldn’t win at Wisconsin. If we can’t find a leader on the floor, he needs to do it during the game. Just didn’t see as much fire as he had in the FSU game

1 minute ago, iufaninand said:

I would just like to see us play with some heart in this one. It seemed that everyone, including Archie based on his demeanor during the game, seemed resigned to the fact we couldn’t win at Wisconsin. If we can’t find a leader on the floor, he needs to do it during the game. Just didn’t see as much fire as he had in the FSU game

Completely disagree about Archie! Every game he comes out with the same complaints and even more so as we do!

24 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Instead of talking about some other team’s coach, does anyone have any info on UConn?

They are based in Storrs, Connecticut.

Their nickname is the Huskies.

Famous alumni include Rip Hamilton and Ray Allen.

They have won 4 national titles.

And (you knew it was coming)....Calhoun's health is the word.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Or no wonder why said coach isn’t getting a big school job. See I can go both ways with it. Let’s be real...Marshall isn’t nearly as hot a commodity as he was 4-5 years ago. He is sheltered at WSU...he is not the answer.

That's the thing the other one isn't seeing. If he's such a great coach why has he decided to be stuck. Wouldn't touch that package one bit....and it's very obvious about 50 programs think the same. 

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

It is bad that the biggest reason I want IU to win Tuesday is so I don't have to read a bunch of "fire Archie" posts/threads? I mean, yeah, I want IU to win because it's good for the team and it helps with NCAA resume, etc., but ultimately I just don't want to have to read the 'every game is a referendum on Archie' posts. I'm not necessarily saying they're wrong, I'd just prefer we be talking about quality wins, long terms health of the program, seeding, being ranked, etc. 

See what you started!?!?!      ;)

54 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Instead of talking about some other team’s coach, does anyone have any info on UConn?

UCONN hired Dan Hurley last year after he took Rhode Island to the second round in back-to-back years in 2016 and 2017.  The coaching staffs should be very familiar with each other in this game.  Archie was 6-3 against Hurley when they were both coaching in the A10 from 2012-2017.

This should be a game perfectly made for Archie and I'll be surprised if don't easily win this one. You guys wanted some info on Uconn? They don't shoot many three's and they don't make them at a high clip either. 

I'm not a fan of Archie's system at all, in fact I hate it but I'm willing to give him another year. Here we are again doing the exact same things without any adjustments at all. We're 320th in 3pa and 333rd in 3pt point distribution while having one of the best shooters in the country in Devonte. Combined with Al/Damezi the three are shooting 37/81 at 46%. Meanwhile Jerome, Franklin, and Justin are shooting 11/54 at 20%. It's just silly. Big game for Archie tomorrow. 

You have one of the most dynamic players in the country in DG and you're not releasing him. I just don't understand it. 

This will be an interesting revival of what had become a snug rivalry between Rhode Island and Dayton when Hurley and CAM coached at respective schools.  They know each other’s style.  Two factors will make this a tight game.  IU aiming to find equilibrium after getting whacked, and coaching against an old conference rival who knows how you strategize.  

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Love that we get invited to these events, love the big stage of NYC/MSG,etc....but these 9pm plus tips can hit the bricks. 

I know on TV it says 9PM but there is no way it will start at that time.  It will be 9:30 at the earliest because the first game won't be over until 9

UConn fan here. I went to the last matchup in 2013. Great game! Just reading the comments on this post about UConn not being good. They are actually really good this year and next year will be great again. Hurley has really turned things around. They play 10 players and can wear teams down. Offensively they move the ball much better thus year and have more people that can score the ball. If their guards Vital and Gilbert move the ball and do not take bad shots they can play with anyone outside the top 5. They play so many players usually 2-3 of them will have it going. Weakness is at the 5. Carlton can easily score 20 points. But he can just as easily get into foul trouble and turn the ball over. But, I think  you guys will be surprised how much better UConn is under Hurley than Ollie. 

20 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
I asked Todd Leary on the radio yesterday how Coach Knight handled that 106-56 loss to Minnesota in 1994...

Bob Knight, the ultimate micro-analyst and disciplinarian, and how did he handle a loss like that.....he didn't.  He just moved on.  Nothing positive to glean from a trip to the woodshed like that. 

Some losses you take lessons from.  Some you just put in the rearview mirror.  The true art of coaching is knowing when to do which. 

56 minutes ago, Rdm203 said:

UConn fan here. I went to the last matchup in 2013. Great game! Just reading the comments on this post about UConn not being good. They are actually really good this year and next year will be great again. Hurley has really turned things around. They play 10 players and can wear teams down. Offensively they move the ball much better thus year and have more people that can score the ball. If their guards Vital and Gilbert move the ball and do not take bad shots they can play with anyone outside the top 5. They play so many players usually 2-3 of them will have it going. Weakness is at the 5. Carlton can easily score 20 points. But he can just as easily get into foul trouble and turn the ball over. But, I think  you guys will be surprised how much better UConn is under Hurley than Ollie. 

Welcome to the game thread here. 

Just because there are some posts that say UCONN isn't that good doesn't mean that is the overall sentiment here. Most think this will be a close game. Two coaches who have history and experience against each other, game at MSG / neutral floor that favors UCONN, and IU still not at full strength.

We haven't had our starting point for most of the year, only recently got Green back, and a key wing player in Hunter missed all of last season with a serious medical condition and has a ways to go to get his game back. Just looking at our games this season does not paint a full picture of IU, we're still working our way into a full squad.

3 hours ago, Rdm203 said:

Welcome and thank you for the takes.

Most around here welcome opposing fans viewpoints.

Archived