IU - UCONN Pre-Game, Tuesday Night

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so their losses are to St. Joseph's and to Xavier in 2OTs.  they also beat Florida.  i will be happy if we win this game.  

I would also like to point out the Huskies beat Buffalo...Buffalo beat an undefeated DePaul team on the road.

I'll say basically the same thing I said before Wisconsin, and it's been my concern with this team all along, do we have enough offensive firepower and playmakers to beat good teams when we're not getting to the line 30 times? While I beleive the offense has been much improved this season in terms of ball and people movement, and even shooting, I'm not sure that travels well when we're not getting all the whistles. 

We saw against Wisconsin that we started taking bad, rushed shots, and IU doesn't have the playmakers to win that way. Play good, strong D, pound it inside to TJD and Smith and then let our guards read/react off that, draw fouls, create open shots, etc., and we should be good. But, all of that begins with defense and rebounding. 

I feel a lot better about this game than I did the UW game.  Sometimes it is when you play the team than who you are playing.  For the FSU game I saw where they were coming off two games in two days and both were physical and hard fought games.  Also they had to travel and play us two days later.  For UW they were coming off 3 straight road games and played terribly so you knew at home they would be ready to play.  Also I looked at their stats at home and they were averaging about 78 points a game and shooting well.  For tonight's game I think we will come out and play hard because of how bad we played Saturday.

IU 76

UCONN 68

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I feel a lot better about this game than I did the UW game.  Sometimes it is when you play the team than who you are playing.  For the FSU game I saw where they were coming off two games in two days and both were physical and hard fought games.  Also they had to travel and play us two days later.  For UW they were coming off 3 straight road games and played terribly so you knew at home they would be ready to play.  Also I looked at their stats at home and they were averaging about 78 points a game and shooting well.  For tonight's game I think we will come out and play hard because of how bad we played Saturday.

IU 76

UCONN 68

IU ran into a buzz saw at Wisconsin..it was a perfect storm...they had lost 3 in a row,hadn't shot well,lost to teams that maybe they shouldnt have...then they get to play on their own floor back home and to top it off..against Indiana...it was a receipe for disaster...plus we laid an egg....good teams bounce back...tonight will determine alot about this team

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I know it's very early in the season, but I feel like this game will make or break our season. The players, coaches, and fans NEED this win. 

I'm not in that camp at all. Would be nice yes. Should we win? Probably....but it's not ledge and evaluate the whole program if we lose. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not in that camp at all. Would be nice yes. Should we win? Probably....but it's not ledge and evaluate the whole program if we lose. 

I agree. I hate the idea of one game, and especially a non-con late MSG game, being a make or break season game. 

On the flip side, it's an important game, including for the team's confidence. Don't start a losing streak, even 2 games, after getting embarrassed at Wisconsin. Come back hard and win. That's what I want/hope to see. If we lose will I think that's the end? No, I would be disappointed. We can win this game. It's not going to be easy and it's by no means guaranteed. but man I want to see our team bring it.

I'm hoping to see Green in the starting lineup. Love to see Rob get 20 minutes off the bench. Finally a game with a big plodding center for Brunk and Davis to go against. I feel this team needs to win here and am hoping we see more of the team that played FSU and less of the team that played vs WI

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I agree. I hate the idea of one game, and especially a non-con late MSG game, being a make or break season game. 

On the flip side, it's an important game, including for the team's confidence. Don't start a losing streak, even 2 games, after getting embarrassed at Wisconsin. Come back hard and win. That's what I want/hope to see. If we lose will I think that's the end? No, I would be disappointed. We can win this game. It's not going to be easy and it's by no means guaranteed. but man I want to see our team bring it.

All day long and I didn't mean it as a shot to Zion but to me it's important to get the win only in the sense that we didn't show up Saturday. Played with zero toughness. But I'm finally getting a very comfortable feeling with Archie.....this team, future recruits,etc....I was very nervous last Spring. After the recruiting haul and type of players we have now and coming in I'm finally in the matter of time camp. 

6 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I didn't take it as a shot at all. No big deal. My original statement was just trying to say how big of a game this one is, even though it's very early on. Let's get this W!

I love Archie and this team btw. I'm completely on board, I just want to win this damn game and have some fun moving forward this season. I just think a W here will be a huge confidence boost for both the players and coaches. 

And not to mention..... Recruiting. Especially on a nationally televised game on ESPN.

Let's go Hoosiers! Make us (me) Proud!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to tell Archie how to coach, as I'm not even remotely qualified to do so...but I will make a couple of observations:

Brunk is slow. Has some decent moves on occasion in the post, but I've been under-whelmed with him so far. I think he definitely fills a role on the team, and he  has had some productive minutes. IMO he should not start, unless he's going up against an opponent that has the same abilities/deficiencies as he does.

Al is a good (not great) shooter. But I don't think he's a point guard by any stretch, and shouldn't play the part. Armaan, while inexperienced, can grow into that spot much quicker than Al (IMO)

I agree with others that Devonte should start, but not at point guard. Not because he can't handle the ball. He just appears to have a harder time of letting it go, than if he's playing the 2. Archie may think differently, as he sees the team every day. We see it once-twice a week.

Archie knows what's best. I just have a hard time understanding some of it.

Hope we kick some serious butt tonite. We have the talent. Do we have the will?

Go Hoosiers!!

1 hour ago, rico said:

It is a resume building game...for both teams.

This! We have 3 big out of conference games. (I’m assuming ND is a win). FSU a top 25 ACC team (tourney team). Arkansas an SEC team (bubble team). UCONN who is another bubble team in a solid AAC multi bid conference. Win all 3 and we should have an excellent chance to make tourney with even a middle conference finish ( I expect 7 BIG bids min). 

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Not feeling good about this one. No take charge leader on this team and I have yet to see any mental toughness. Archie and the team will need to have their you know what together or it could get ugly fast.

UConn by 10.

And for the record I would give anything to have an impressive win.

We would have one if Devonte was given freedom to express himself and play with his heart and not fully confined to a rigid system. He's got the talent and skill to pull a Kemba Walker and catch absolute fire for 6 games. 

He's a defensive spark too. One of the best in the nation at forcing turnovers.

I honestly think this game is tailor made for an easy 10 point win. 

The data that they've churned out is pretty abysmal really. Average tempo, don't shoot many three's or shoot particularly well, they're under 40% on two,  their assist rate is pedestrian, they seem prone to fouling.

Hunter, Smith, and Franklin a whopping 11/57 on three which at a whopping 19% which literally can only go up. 

Coming off of an humiliating loss so its a motivation game.

Devonte is a New York kid who plays his best in big games and in big moments. He could easily have a 30 point outburst.

I'm definitely slapping a big bet here with high confidence.

Archived