Thoughts from a B1G ASSISTANT COACH

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess a better question I could have asked is how far are you willing for the program to go to win

90% of the time, I'll drive 5-10MPH over.
Maybe 9% of the time, I'll drive 15-20MPH over.  I don't do it too often, as it does bear higher risk, so I save those times for when I'm in a hurry.
I generally don't push it further past that unless I have a justified reason.

14 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

90% of the time, I'll drive 5-10MPH over.
Maybe 9% of the time, I'll drive 15-20MPH over.  I don't do it too often, as it does bear higher risk, so I save those times for when I'm in a hurry.
I generally don't push it further past that unless I have a justified reason.

So you are saying you are willing to bend r break the rules until you get caught

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you are saying you are willing to bend r break the rules until you get caught

I'm willing to root for a team that finds ways to use the rules to their advantage. I'm willing to root for a program where compliance and the admin helps the coaching staff find ways to navigate the rules, instead of just running from them as they look to "bust" the coaching staff. 

It's the same thing in business. I'm in marketing in the health/wellness space which is highly regulated by the FTC in terms of claims we can make, etc. I've worked with legal/compliance teams that basically shut down everything we wanted to do and I've worked with legal teams that would work with us to find solutions. The latter would sit down with me face-to-face and go over an ad, a script, a video, etc., and work with me to find ways to accomplish what I was trying to do with the claims, while staying within the rules. The former would basically squash entire ads, concepts, etc.

Needless to say, the company was much more successful with the compliance team that would work with us. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm willing to root for a team that finds ways to use the rules to their advantage. I'm willing to root for a program where compliance and the admin helps the coaching staff find ways to navigate the rules, instead of just running from them as they look to "bust" the coaching staff. 

It's the same thing in business. I'm in marketing in the health/wellness space which is highly regulated by the FTC in terms of claims we can make, etc. I've worked with legal/compliance teams that basically shut down everything we wanted to do and I've worked with legal teams that would work with us to find solutions. The latter would sit down with me face-to-face and go over an ad, a script, a video, etc., and work with me to find ways to accomplish what I was trying to do with the claims, while staying within the rules. The former would basically squash entire ads, concepts, etc.

Needless to say, the company was much more successful with the compliance team that would work with us. 

And as a respectful rebuttal, I would say that this thread has made me like/root for Archie even more.

14 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

And as a respectful rebuttal, I would say that this thread has made me like/root for Archie even more.

Just checking to make sure, have I come off as someone not rooting for or liking Archie? I'm a pretty big Archie supporter on here. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

A) If you're telling me you drive exactly the speed limit and no more 100% of the time, you'd do well in an MLB congressional steroid hearing.

B) I'm telling you two things in this analogy. One, most of the time, going 5-10 over is keeping up with the flow of traffic. Two, risk and frequency are balanced. The actions taken frequently are minimal risk (both in terms of being caught and in terms of punishment), but are also relatively low reward. Actions that bear moderate rewards also carry higher risk, so I don't take those actions as often. I'm not willing to bear the consequences of high risk actions.

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A) If you're telling me you drive exactly the speed limit and no more 100% of the time, you'd do well in an MLB congressional steroid hearing.

I never exceed the speed limit.  That said, I'm usually naked when I'm driving, so I can't afford to get pulled over.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yep but that does not explain to me what would be considered a gray area to the NCAA.  I just know I don't want us to be part of the investigation around the shoe companies where they are brokering kids to your school.

Too many pages to keep up but isn’t most of this a mute point. In a couple years all the kids will get paid to play...hopefully Indiana doesn’t get in the way of that or for sure other schools will benefit. The administration needs to get out in front of this and help the program and kids find good deals and work with them to make sure they are marketed in the Indy area and with our alumni. No reason given those circumstances we shouldn’t keep every top Indiana HS kid from there on out. I may not agree 100% with the paying kids but it doesn’t matter...rules are changing and we need to get out in the front and be proactive not reactive. That will be our best chance to turn things around.

9 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hammer meet nail.  If you dont think other coaches use that against us, we are in complete denial.

So going back to your original post, instead of saying coaches hope Archie stays around, what they are really saying is they hope IU's compliance department stays around? 

God I hope the big bucks alumni backers read this thread and insist on changes! After all, are the same people around that reported what? 17 extra phone calls?

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Entrepreneurship (Starting and operating your own business as an independent contractor)

Law (Representing one's self in court)

Financial Management (Safe transportation of large amounts of $1 bills. )

Medicine (What penicillin can and can't treat)

Dressing For Success (How clear heels are the ultimate universal accessory)

Oh , come on? Safe sex education, of course!

7 hours ago, Maedhros said:

It's perhaps telling of Archie's lack of success at Indiana that so many narratives keep forming to explain why he hasn't gotten us there yet. This is one such example. Make no mistake, Thad Matta was fired for performance. OSU had dropped from 2nd to 5th, 6th, 7th and 10th place in the B1G since 2013. His last team finished 17-15 overall, 7-11 in the Big Ten, and failed to make the NIT. The year before, when Indiana was winning the Big Ten, OSU was a three seed in the NIT. Recruiting had also dried up; the incoming 2017 class only had one commit, legacy Kaleb Wesson, and he had pledged two years prior. The entire five-man 2015 class was gone from campus. Matta's health was a consideration to be sure, and led the AD to doubt Matta would be able to right the ship, but make no mistake, the program was definitely headed in the wrong direction.

2017 was the first year Brendan Quinn ran the Unofficial Big Ten Media Poll. Ohio St was selected 11th, two spots behind Indiana; they finished the year 15-3 and 2nd in the conference. If Archie had a year like that in his first season he'd be hailed as a conquering hero. His supporters rightly praise him for finishing 9-9 that season and 6th in the conference, ahead of what was projected. How strange, then, that I keep hearing how Holtmann's even greater accomplishments are a product of the situation he inherited.

This.

Don’t want to derail the thread (very interesting thread starter by the way) but I have also been surprised to read all the posts saying Holtman inherited a much better situation. OSU’s trajectory in Matta’s last years was negative. Over the weekend I googled the 2017-2018 BT predictions and every publication had OSU behind IU and in forums when posters mentioned OSU they said they would suck. OSU came off a season in which they did not even make the NIT and then Lyle left, Braxton went pro, Funderburk was kicked off and Beverly transferred to NC State. It looked rather bleak for OSU.

I don’t post this to slam Archie but the “Holtman had it made” narrative seems a bit off to me.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Too many pages to keep up but isn’t most of this a mute point. In a couple years all the kids will get paid to play...hopefully Indiana doesn’t get in the way of that or for sure other schools will benefit. The administration needs to get out in front of this and help the program and kids find good deals and work with them to make sure they are marketed in the Indy area and with our alumni. No reason given those circumstances we shouldn’t keep every top Indiana HS kid from there on out. I may not agree 100% with the paying kids but it doesn’t matter...rules are changing and we need to get out in the front and be proactive not reactive. That will be our best chance to turn things around.

It will be interesting if the  NCAA allows payments of some sort but imposes a limit. 

Let’s say the max is 25k (or 50k, or 100k). How many micro-seconds will it take LSU or Kansas to provide a way to funnel more than the allowed amount of money? 

7 hours ago, JugRox said:

Former 5 star recruit Bates-Diop didn't play in the 2016-2017 season for Matta. In 2017-2018, Junior Bates-Diop was given to Holtman his first year who averaged 20 points a game, was named B10 player of the year, was an All American,  and was then drafted by the NBA. Who exactly was Miller given? lol   

Who else was Holtman given by Matta? Andre Wesson and Kaleb Wesson both signed with Matta.....not Holtman. Who did Crean give to Miller? Durham, Moore, and Smith.

Yep, he gave Holtman the Wessons. Kaleb was heavily recruited while Andre had one power 5 offer.
Not a murderes row but in addition to the players you mentioned Archie also inherited Green, Juwan Morgan, Davis, Robert Johnson and Hartman. Three years in you could argue that 3 of the 7 best players on the team (Smith, Green, Durham) are still players Archie was given. 
Lets hope we stay healthy, have a good season (make the tourney) and this will all be a moot point.

7 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Yep, he gave Holtman the Wessons. Kaleb was heavily recruited while Andre had one power 5 offer.
Not a murderes row but in addition to the players you mentioned Archie also inherited Green, Juwan Morgan, Davis, Robert Johnson and Hartman. Three years in you could argue that 3 of the 7 best players on the team (Smith, Green, Durham) are still players Archie was given. 
Lets hope we stay healthy, have a good season (make the tourney) and this will all be a moot point.

You forgot Big Ten Player of the year All American Bates-Diop 

Hartman and Johnson played one year.

Davis has never been healthy.

Durham and Smith would start for who in the B10 this year?

5 minutes ago, JugRox said:

You forgot Big Ten Player of the year All American Bates-Diop 

Hartman and Johnson played one year.

Davis has never been healthy.

Durham and Smith would start for who in the B10 this year?

You mean the Diop that had an unremarkable career until the year he played for Holtman? :)

9 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

You mean the Diop that had an unremarkable career until the year he played for Holtman? :)

11 PPG as a Sophmore and 10 PPG while being hurt the next year.

sure, whatever makes you feel better lol

and who exactly is comparable to what Miller was left? lol

42 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

This.

Don’t want to derail the thread (very interesting thread starter by the way) but I have also been surprised to read all the posts saying Holtman inherited a much better situation. OSU’s trajectory in Matta’s last years was negative. Over the weekend I googled the 2017-2018 BT predictions and every publication had OSU behind IU and in forums when posters mentioned OSU they said they would suck. OSU came off a season in which they did not even make the NIT and then Lyle left, Braxton went pro, Funderburk was kicked off and Beverly transferred to NC State. It looked rather bleak for OSU.

I don’t post this to slam Archie but the “Holtman had it made” narrative seems a bit off to me.

So, you are basing what Holtmann did on “Preseason Polls” and Internet forums?

Thats air tight....can’t argue with that. 

;)

Archived