Thoughts from a B1G ASSISTANT COACH

6 minutes ago, JugRox said:

11 PPG as a Sophmore and 10 PPG while being hurt the next year.

sure, whatever makes you feel better lol

and who exactly is comparable to what Miller was left? lol

So you’re saying that Bates-Diop averaged 1-2 more ppg than Josh Newkirk and you think that supports your point... Lol.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So you’re saying that Bates-Diop averaged 1-2 more ppg than Josh Newkirk and you think that supports your point... Lol.

You are comparing 5 star Bates-Diop to.......NEWKIRK????   LOL

Newkirk lost his playing time at Pitt as a Sophmore....lol

Sure kid.....Newkirk was as good as Bates-Diop

9 minutes ago, JugRox said:

So, you are basing what Holtmann did on “Preseason Polls” and Internet forums?

Thats air tight....can’t argue with that. 

;)

Partially I am basing it on that. Guilty as charged. 

Is depending on “your after the fact” observations better than the BT coaches poll, SI, ESPN, BT media, every idiotic poster (like us :) ) that posted prior to that season?

4 minutes ago, JugRox said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-newkirk-1.html

Newkirk never averaged 10 points a game.

Bates-Diop put up 20 a game as a junior.

want to try again?

You mean senior... And who was his coach when he put up those numbers?  Which was the whole point of this conversation to begin with.  Nice try, but you should probably just take the L and move on... Lol.

Edit: In before “He WaS A REdShiRT JUnioR”

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You mean senior... And who was his coach when he put up those numbers?  Which was the whole point of this conversation to begin with.  Nice try, but you should probably just take the L and move on... Lol.

You do realize he got hurt and given an extra year?

And didn’t get to play for Matta his real junior year because of injuries and put up 11 PPG as a Sophmore?

Nah, he was some 3 star nobody that Holtmann turned into a stud. JUST HOLTMANN....NO ONE ELSE.

Without Holtmann he probably just quits the team, right? If Newkirk played for Holtmann, he would have put up 20 PPG, right?

Mike Davis gets all the credit for Knights players, right?

lol

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

You do realize he got hurt and given an extra year?

And didn’t get to play for Matta his real junior year because of injuries and put up 11 PPG as a Sophmore?

Nah, he was some 3 star nobody that Holtmann turned into a stud. JUST HOLTMANN....NO ONE ELSE.

Without Holtmann he probably just quits the team, right? If Newkirk played for Holtmann, he would have put up 20 PPG, right?

lol

Exactly right!  Maybe you’re smarter than you sound.  LOL

What they inherited: 

Miller
% Scoring Returning: 58%
% Minutes Returning: 67%
Average Experience: 1.8 years
RSCI Top 100: 4 (Average: 62)

Holtmann
% Scoring Returning: 60% 
% Minutes Returning: 62%
Note: Adjusted assuming Bates-Diop matched his totals from his sophomore season for a full year. 
RSCI Top 100: 4 (Average: 60)

On paper, the situations were relatively comparable. 

Now....what happened

Miller
Key Personnel Losses: 2.  Lost 2 of 4 RSCI top 100 (Jones transfer, Davis injury).  

Holtmann
Key Personnel Losses: 0.  Stayed healthy and intact.  

Now....taking in all of the above, what stands out? The De'Ron injury.  He was our only real post player.  Yes, JMo stepped in admirably, but he was out of position. 

Was the roster Holtmann inherited significantly better? Maybe not.  But what he inherited was a much more balanced roster, and that allows additional freedom, both in terms of play and in terms of recruiting.  

11 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So going back to your original post, instead of saying coaches hope Archie stays around, what they are really saying is they hope IU's compliance department stays around? 

God I hope the big bucks alumni backers read this thread and insist on changes! After all, are the same people around that reported what? 17 extra phone calls?

Yes and that's why I added the.post that I did. I did not want anything to take my info as a knock on CAM

19 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

What they inherited: 

Miller
% Scoring Returning: 58%
% Minutes Returning: 67%
RSCI Top 100: 4 (Average: 62)

Holtmann
% Scoring Returning: 60% 
% Minutes Returning: 62%
Note: Adjusted assuming Bates-Diop matched his totals from his sophomore season for a full year. 
RSCI Top 100: 4 (Average: 60)

On paper, the situations were relatively comparable. 

Now....what happened

Miller
Key Personnel Losses: 2.  Lost 2 of 4 RSCI top 100 (Jones transfer, Davis injury).  

Holtmann
Key Personnel Losses: 0.  Stayed healthy and intact.  

Now....taking in all of the above, what stands out? The De'Ron injury.  He was our only real post player.  Yes, JMo stepped in admirably, but he was out of position. 

Was the roster Holtmann inherited significantly better? Maybe not.  But what he inherited was a much more balanced roster, and that allows additional freedom, both in terms of play and in terms of recruiting.  

This is a good post, but I'd like to also add in that Holtman was given a freshmen class that included Caleb Wesson who is very good....

Also, positionally I'd say that OSU was strong at the most important positions on the floor in Holtmann's first year given that they had a good point guard, a great wing scorer and a really good post player.

It took them a 35 foot buzzer beater to beat us at home that year and they basically beat us at the horn again the next year. We are not talking about lightyears of difference between the two programs the last couple of years.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Archie has only recruited for two years. His first year the roster was already full . So let’s give him a couple more years for sure. 
I do agree that the biggest problem has been the Administration. Davis was a terrible hire and we held onto him for way to long. Simpson  well enough said, and then Crean. To be honest Crean took over a decimated program. He done a good job bring us back from that. I think his biggest problem was he couldn’t coach defense and his plan was to shoot threes and out score teams 90 to 85. Which stopped working for us the last 4 years are so of his tenure. 
I agree the IU fan base is impatient because it is so long since we have been consistently good. Last final four was Bob Knight team coached by Davis. IU fans are tired of excuses like we don’t have leadership, are we don’t talk. What we are seeing is bricks being shot at the free throw line. Turn overs. Missed open shots. Teams that don’t put opposing teams away. U Conn had 22 turnovers last night and we won by three. Glad we won ,but that worries me that we didn’t put them away after that many turnovers. 
Just my thoughts, but I bleed Cream an Crimson! Go Hoosiers! 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For what it’s worth, I think Archie is a really good coach. Don’t think you guys need to delve into the grey area in recruiting seeing as how you have so many built-in advantages within the state. Just my two cents. 

Proving again. You can be a very open  minded poster. Even though a Boiler.   And thanks for this post. Can't agree with you more.

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For what it’s worth, I think Archie is a really good coach. Don’t think you guys need to delve into the grey area in recruiting seeing as how you have so many built-in advantages within the state. Just my two cents. 

The ultimate kiss of death.  I venture onto other schools boards from time to time.  Purdue and the others all thought Tom Crean and Mike Davis were great coaches too.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Thanks Boiler, we HN just have to allow CAM to continue to install his system and continue to bring in players who are perfect for his system, Indiana Kids!  If the fan base can allow 5-7 yrs to make this happen, they just found their successor to RMK!  Still don’t mean we beat PU but hang a few banners in the meantime.

Archived