UCONN Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome win come March. Rob drives the ship. My apologies to the board and Joey.....your 7 during second half stretch saved us. Kudos to Jerome who seemed to do the little things. TJD so solid and not afraid of the stage. I liked the smaller lineup when Archie had to do it and Al/Devonte seemed to mature towards the end. I'll probably have more meaningless comments at 645 but all in all. Awesome win for Hoosiers. Get home. Beat Nebraska's a--, study, and beat ND.

3 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

For the people saying we don't run offense and it's bad X's and O's....90% of college basketball runs the same actions we do. We sometimes don't execute it well, and our guards really struggled to stay tight off of ball screens, but I'm tired of the same old tired complaints. Ball goes in people think it's good coaching...we miss layups and people say it's bad coaching...

It depends on who is in the game and/or initiating the offense.  Al dribbles too much, stands when he doesn’t have the ball and does not know how to make a pass into the post.  When guys are moving without the ball and the ball is moving via the pass, it can be excellent.  The offense was efficient against FSU when Franklin and Green were in the game and at times again tonight when rob and Franklin were both playing.   

1 minute ago, mchenry34 said:

I think it looks way different if we finish even just the obvious wide open layups...Deron obviously missed a couple in the second half, but we also missed a bunch in transition in the first half...

If we’re getting open layups and clanking them, at the very least, the offense is getting us good looks...too many times under Crean and now Archie, the ball is dribbled up top, 3 or 4 guys just stand around and we turn it over or are forced to throw up a prayer. I have seen no sustained improvement with this.  It is baffling as well as frustrating-and hard  to watch

Just now, CTrojan88 said:

If we’re getting open layups and clanking them, at the very least, the offense is getting us good looks...too many times under Crean and now Archie, the ball is dribbled up top, 3 or 4 guys just stand around and we turn it over or are forced to throw up a prayer. I have seen no sustained improvement with this.  It is baffling as well as frustrating-and hard  to watch

I believe that part of that is that the players off the ball are to read what the ball handler does in order to determine what cut/action they will execute...Clearly our guards had a really hard time getting down hill against UCONN's quickness and then a tough time in the lane against their length...

I think that a couple of the actions we use are a little slow in developing...the diamond action waiting for the off guard to make a read happens too slowly and with only one read being made a time...they need to add a wrinkle to it...

CAM warned us that on the road we would have to "grind it out" to win.  That was true tonight.

They out rebounded us by 1 which is usually our strength.

We won at the free throw line which is our other strength with 13-18 v. 6-10.  But we also almost lost it at the foul line in the end with some misses.

UConn was a TO machine tonight.  They had problems with our defense.

BTW we had no player score in double digits tonight.  I can't remember the last time that happened for us in a win.

UCONN wanted this game at MSG. Rejoining the big east and all, this was a big game for them. We won ugly, but we beat a motivated team in their semi-backyard. Ugly, but I will take it. 

It is more.important that we didnt lose this game, more than I am excited we won (that.makes sense to me, 9 beers in).

And Rob, he matters. 

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

UCONN wanted this game at MSG. Rejoining the big east and all, this was a big game for them. We won ugly, but we beat a motivated team in their semi-backyard. Ugly, but I will take it. 

It is more.important that we didnt lose this game, more than I am excited we won (that.makes sense to me, 9 beers in).

And Rob, he matters. 

Ok, 6 beers in. But 9 sounds more manly.

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Last game was as ugly as Rosie O'Donnell naked in a wading pool filled with pudding.

This game was just as ugly, but at least I have the benefit of being drunk.

That was a vomit inducing description of this game and I applaud your creativity.  I dont think I can put lipstick on a pig the way you do.  Bravo!!

15 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I believe that part of that is that the players off the ball are to read what the ball handler does in order to determine what cut/action they will execute...Clearly our guards had a really hard time getting down hill against UCONN's quickness and then a tough time in the lane against their length...

I think that a couple of the actions we use are a little slow in developing...the diamond action waiting for the off guard to make a read happens too slowly and with only one read being made a time...they need to add a wrinkle to it...

Do you see a solution on the horizon (not meant as a smartazz question)?  Is it 90% on the players?
Very slow offensive start in the first half of the Wiscy game, again at the start of the UCONN game and then we scored 4 points in the first 11 minutes of the second half. I realize teams go on runs but slow starts seem to happen more than occasionally.

PS....Glad we got the win and welcome back Rob. He played 13 minutes tonight. Hopefully he is over 25 mpg soon.

An ugly game and but good to see IU win a game like that. I’m not sure if I feel better or worse about IU after that, but bottom line, it’s a win and it’s good for the resume to get that win. 

A few rambling takeaways. 

- Good to win, but when forcing that many turnovers, we should have won by 10+

- If IU is in the tournament conversation, that win will help

- Archie has some intestinal fortitude to keep Phinisee and TJD on the bench for such a long period down the stretch. He did it because the lineup was playing well, so he rode it, which I like. But man, it took some to stick with it. 

- We’re a much different team with Phinisee. Need to get him healthy to where he can play 25-30 minutes

- I don’t love the prospects of this team if we can’t shoot away from Assembly Hall. You’re not going to win many games only making a couple 3’s. 

- We’re much better with Smith at the 4 in a smaller lineup, and it’s when the offense looked the best  

- It hurts IU that none of Brunk, TJD, Thompson, Davis, or even really Smith can shoot outside the paint. That’s going to be a problem as we get into conference play

- De’Ron Davis is done, unfortunately. I’m not saying he won’t have a moment here or there, but he should play really limited minutes. 

Couple of my own rambling takeaways too.

I do a lot of whining and moaning about the offense / general philosophy and rarely focus on the defense. 

It’s definitely a clear assist for this program and the players deserve a lot of credit for that. I had absolutely no respect at any point going into the game or during it and that has as much to do with us as it does with them.

We’ve gotten 20/10 written all over us. You’re not going to beat many teams that are just a little better than you with a system that refuses to shoot the ball and turns it over as often as we do. If you won’t shoot the three then you better find a way pump your two point % through the roof. The deeper we get into the season the more the whistles will get swallowed.

I was really excited to see if Archie would make any sort of adjustments to his philosophy and it’s clear that’s not happening. He’s got this year free from personal judgement. I think it’s a failing approach but do your thing Arch.

From my perspective that second half decision to roll out the same starting 5 was such an NFL style game management decision where they have the control of the game and try to maintain it instead of add to it. It’s a play not to lose instead of going for the win. I see the logic and reasoning for it but it’s nothing more than regressing to the mean instead of pressing edges. 

I hope Devonte finds his way to the league somehow in a few years because that boy has what it takes to do some serious damage in systems that play freely. He could be a hell of a role playing 3pt threat much like Graham is for the hornets right now who’s hit just a few 3’s less than harden. It’s a complete waste not allowing him the green light and it’s clear he’s bought into the system so my hopes of him breaking out are gone.

If I can argue against myself here I certainly respect Archie for sticking to his guns and playing the way he believes in. The games always evolving so maybe he’s onto something going completely against the grain and a no 3’s approach. 

Gonna be interesting!

Didn’t get to watch the game but from what I have read it was an ugly night period...I guess out of 4 teams only Texas Tech played above average...Louisville went down,guess maybe Kansas or Ohio St. will be number 1 now...as far as IU goes come March the W will mean more ...there will be more ugly games in the B10...just got to fight Thur and win these types of games....did IU’s defense cause UCONN problems or were they just having  a bad night offensively?

43 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Couple of my own rambling takeaways too.

I do a lot of whining and moaning about the offense / general philosophy and rarely focus on the defense. 

It’s definitely a clear assist for this program and the players deserve a lot of credit for that. I had absolutely no respect at any point going into the game or during it and that has as much to do with us as it does with them.

We’ve gotten 20/10 written all over us. You’re not going to beat many teams that are just a little better than you with a system that refuses to shoot the ball and turns it over as often as we do. If you won’t shoot the three then you better find a way pump your two point % through the roof. The deeper we get into the season the more the whistles will get swallowed.

I was really excited to see if Archie would make any sort of adjustments to his philosophy and it’s clear that’s not happening. He’s got this year free from personal judgement. I think it’s a failing approach but do your thing Arch.

From my perspective that second half decision to roll out the same starting 5 was such an NFL style game management decision where they have the control of the game and try to maintain it instead of add to it. It’s a play not to lose instead of going for the win. I see the logic and reasoning for it but it’s nothing more than regressing to the mean instead of pressing edges. 

I hope Devonte finds his way to the league somehow in a few years because that boy has what it takes to do some serious damage in systems that play freely. He could be a hell of a role playing 3pt threat much like Graham is for the hornets right now who’s hit just a few 3’s less than harden. It’s a complete waste not allowing him the green light and it’s clear he’s bought into the system so my hopes of him breaking out are gone.

If I can argue against myself here I certainly respect Archie for sticking to his guns and playing the way he believes in. The games always evolving so maybe he’s onto something going completely against the grain and a no 3’s approach. 

Gonna be interesting!

Good post and good to see you again.

Archived