UCONN Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And part of me wonders if that's good or bad. Always something to be said for balance, but it's nice having a go-to scorer down the stretch.

I don't think 57 points is ever good.  If we had 4-5 guys with 12-14 points, that's good.  When we have 4-5 guys with 7-9 points, not so good.  

We don’t deserve top 25 and shouldn’t be considered.  not after  that showing. It is an odd thing to mention but just to show the parity of college basketball Penn State was favored at home yesterday over Maryland and beat them and covered the spread. Difference between top 10 and top 30 is pretty small. Just gonna be worried about our road woes all year judging by the small sample size.

The fact of the matter is we are 9-1 with a chance to be 10-1 after Friday. Not to mention we are 9-0 in our non conference with a win against a very good FSU team and a rising UConn team at MSG (their home away from home). Had someone told us in September that this is what our record would be on 12/11 I’m almost certain near a 100 percent would be ecstatic with it. This team is going to win by being gritty, forcing turnovers, rebounding  and getting to the foul line. Is it sexy? No...but it’s a team that will be with each other for a couple more years...combined with our shooters in next years recruiting class,  we’re trending up. 

Lastly - with this group...I’m almost certain we are going to see another ugly win, or 2 this year like we saw last night...

By the way - talk about ugly offensive basketball...Louisville last night was awful offensively.

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And part of me wonders if that's good or bad. Always something to be said for balance, but it's nice having a go-to scorer down the stretch.

It should be Devonte but he totally disappears for entire games so who knows.  I just dont understand him.  Sometimes he looks like he doesn't care at all.

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

The fact of the matter is we are 9-1 with a chance to be 10-1 after Friday. Not to mention we are 9-0 in our non conference with a win against a very good FSU team and a rising UConn team at MSG (their home away from home). Had someone told us in September that this is what our record would be on 12/11 I’m almost certain near a 100 percent would be ecstatic with hit. This team is going to win by being gritty, forcing turnovers, rebounding  and getting to the foul line. Is it sexy? No...but it’s a team that will be with each other for a couple more years...combined with our shooters in next years recruiting class,  we’re trending up. 

Lastly - with this group...I’m almost certain we are going to see another ugly win, or 2 this year like we saw last night...

Not many teams are going to turn it over 24 times.  A lot of them were just terrible passes. Yeah, UConn is not very good.  

3 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Not many teams are going to turn it over 24 times.  A lot of them were just terrible passes. Yeah, UConn is not very good.  

A win is a win my friend. Don’t care how we got there...we won away from Assembly in a place that was 70/30 UConn fans...a game that UConn had circled on their calendar. 9-1 and on to the next one. Get ready for more ugly wins!

54 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Good post and good to see you again.

Good to see you guys too. Hoosiers run way too deep in my blood to stay away for too long. 

It’s basketball, even if you disagree with the style it’s still the best game in the world.

I’m targeting some sort of offensive improvement and scoring balance but that looks really Iffy and one dimensional. My thing is just try to be elite at SOMETHING. right now we are at getting to the line. I can respect that From Archie. Don’t think it’ll work at all but let’s roll with it.

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just looked at the box.  Nobody in double figures.

Oddly enough I found that encouraging...When we were down early Deron gave us a couple of buckets, Devonte hit a couple shots in the first half to keep us in contact with UCONN, then there were moments where Trayce carried us for a few possessions, Brunk took over, Al made some plays down the stretch, Justin had a couple moments...

I actually think that there could be a different kind of confidence coming out of this game...After FSU it was, "sometimes Devonte will go off" after this game I think that seven or so players will feel like they have something to offer when the chips are down...

10 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

It should be Devonte but he totally disappears for entire games so who knows.  I just dont understand him.  Sometimes he looks like he doesn't care at all.

He’s not allowed to create anything for himself or take early shots. It’s not that he doesn’t care, it’s that the system doesn’t do him any favors. Yeah, he was very poor but did we run a play for him the entire night? I’d be bored out of my mind if I could score 50 on a hot night.

6 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Do you see a solution on the horizon (not meant as a smartazz question)?  Is it 90% on the players?
Very slow offensive start in the first half of the Wiscy game, again at the start of the UCONN game and then we scored 4 points in the first 11 minutes of the second half. I realize teams go on runs but slow starts seem to happen more than occasionally.

PS....Glad we got the win and welcome back Rob. He played 13 minutes tonight. Hopefully he is over 25 mpg soon.

I think that this team is a little in between where their best defensive lineup is not their best offensive lineup...

I think that Archie believes part of the solution is to get out on the break, which we did better in this game, but we made poor decisions and didn't finish well...I think his second solution is post feeds which we also did better in this game, but really struggled with UCONN's length...

My two critiques of the offense are:
1) We don't set and use screens well...I think you could argue the coaches need to teach that better, but also, we just need the players to be tougher in that regard. There's "enough" movement most of the time but it's not dangerous and doesn't force help.
2) our half court spacing does not really allow for driving lanes and/or hitting the roll man in the pick and roll....I think some of that is the lack of respect for shooters and for the big men when they step out...Brunk and Deron and Trayce go to set ball screens and their men just sit in the lane and that negates the action...only solution to that is to hit some shots with pick and pop or coming off he ball screen so that people have to come out of the lane...

2 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

OK, is it me or did anyone else want to punch Hurley in nose.  He was so annoying on the sideline.  Did you see him punch something going in at halftime.  Every play he was up with a whinny look on his face.  

He's definitely kind of annoying (arguing with such certainty but not knowing anything, like that full court loose ball where he was sure Justin had pushed Bouknight but the UCONN player had just straight up slipped), but I think his brother Bobby has him beat in that regard...

By the way, why were we slipping around so much? I think that contributed a great deal to the sloppiness of the game, Devonte and Jerome looked like they were on skates most of the game...Adidas owe us an apology?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Also.. main reason we struggled offensively... UCONNs defense. 

I'll give uconn Credit they had some Speedy guards and some bigs down low. We also have to credit some discombobulation. The good thing is it's fixable. There's really no reason when a guard is trying to dump the ball down low that another guard is standing literally 5 feet away from them so they're Defender is sagging into the post

Archived