UCONN Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Do you guys think that UConn team will be in the tournament?

Yes.  This UConn team is very good defensively and well coached.   They had their worst performance on offense with 22 turnovers and were still in the game.  I think they will get better as the season goes on.  There size and length are going to be a problem for just about everyone they play.  

42 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

right now we are at getting to the line. I can respect that From Archie. Don’t think it’ll work at all but let’s roll with it.

Here's the Fatal flaw in that. This is a guard's game, we're getting the bigs in foul trouble. And we don't shoot free throws that well.  The percentages may be improved but I don't really trust anybody to hit them when the game is on the line like last night. and we miss the front of one and ones way too often.  I'd love to find a stat on missing the front end of a one-and-one.  

All I have to say is that an ugly win is way better than a pretty loss. Not trying to justify how bad the offense was last night by both teams but look at some of the other scores in college basketball lately.  A battle of two top 20 teams butler/Baylor was 53-52 and the last two games UL scored 58 and 57 points.  Um scored 44 points against UL the other night so is it great defense or is the offenses in college basketball that bad.

One little thing that stood out to me is that Rob only played 13 minutes but changed the entire team when on the floor. Boy if we just get him healthy and stay healthy this team has a chance at being very good. Maybe only having 3 games over next couple weeks is a good thing. Get some guys healthy and get to practice again. 

3 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Dickie V saying he thinks players are too coached? Said players today need to be given more freedom to play their game. I found that comment from him to be interesting during this game. 

I agree with that.  In my mind, over-coaching leads to some of the stagnant offense we see, not just from IU, but in college hoops in general.

4 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Dickie V saying he thinks players are too coached? Said players today need to be given more freedom to play their game. I found that comment from him to be interesting during this game. 

He seems to always find a way to bring up RMK...did he mention anything about him living in Bloomington or anything else?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I agree with that.  In my mind, over-coaching leads to some of the stagnant offense we see, not just from IU, but in college hoops in general.

It might be the most cogent thing Vitale has said in a while...We will get better as more people earn Archie's trust to push it out on the break and make a play...Push the ball, send a drag ball screen, run to the rim, and if it doesn't work get into the secondary break....

Our break will also be much better when there are shooters that can draw the defense away from the rim. Protect the rim against us and the fast break is over...

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

so is it great defense or is the offenses in college basketball that bad.

Scott.  Great question.  Dickie V has been around basketball for 132 years.  He has said many times that college coaches over coach and don't let the guys play ball.  I think it needs to be repeated that aau is killing fundamental basketball.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

He’s not allowed to create anything for himself or take early shots. It’s not that he doesn’t care, it’s that the system doesn’t do him any favors. Yeah, he was very poor but did we run a play for him the entire night? I’d be bored out of my mind if I could score 50 on a hot night.

He was being run off away from the ball screens all night. I like Green, but I think some in the fan base way over rate him. He’s a guy that can get hot, absolutely, but when he’s not hot he takes a lot of bad shots, turns it over and makes bad decisions. Green needs Phinisee to get healthy so that he can just focus on scoring. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One little thing that stood out to me is that Rob only played 13 minutes but changed the entire team when on the floor. Boy if we just get him healthy and stay healthy this team has a chance at being very good. Maybe only having 3 games over next couple weeks is a good thing. Get some guys healthy and get to practice again. 

I do excited to think that eventually he will be playing 30 minutes a game...

30 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

I totally agree with this statement and have for a long time.  it appears that coaches don't trust he players and they micro manage everything.

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He has said many times that college coaches over coach and don't let the guys play ball.  I think it needs to be repeated that aau is killing fundamental basketball.

The above statement caught my attention.  You state that college coaches "over coach", but then mention AAU.  To me, when I think of AAU, I think of undercoaching, not over. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

I totally agree with this statement and have for a long time.  it appears that coaches don't trust he players and they micro manage everything.

Damn kids today.......*grumblegrumble*....their damn analytics.....*grumblegrumble*......get off my lawn...rat bastards......*grumblegrumble*

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

For the record, I don't disagree with the above when it comes to basketball.

I see that some of our fan base tries to look at everything as if they are the coaches and not just fans. I use to worry about how the team played and even in wins would try to over analyze everything but now I just don't worry about that any longer.  If we win the game I am happy and don't worry if we played the perfect game because there are no perfect games.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

All I have to say is that an ugly win is way better than a pretty loss. Not trying to justify how bad the offense was last night by both teams but look at some of the other scores in college basketball lately.  A battle of two top 20 teams butler/Baylor was 53-52 and the last two games UL scored 58 and 57 points.  Um scored 44 points against UL the other night so is it great defense or is the offenses in college basketball that bad.

Same, not trying to justify IU's offense, but it just makes me laugh to see all of this criticism of Archie and then the same people comment how well coached UConn is?!?! We just beat UConn. Someone actually criticised our turnovers, we had 13 and UConn had 22, yet Archie is a moron and Hurley has UConn on the right track?!?!

I've seen it posted that UConn played amazing defense and that ours was 'decent'. 

Again, this isn't me saying our offense is great, but from a schematic standpoint we run basically what everyone else runs (which is a problem in basketball right now, NBA and NCAA, everyone basically does the same thing, there's no creativity) we just don't have many playmakers especially with Phinisee hurt. Green and Phinisee are the only two guys on the team that can create their own shot and hit big shots. Durham can every once and a while, but he doesn't scare any opposing coach. None of our bigs can shoot either. IU is still lacking in offensive talent. 

How does that change this year? We have to hope Green settles down and becomes consistent (I know, been waiting 4 years for that), Phinisee gets and stays healthy, Hunter gets into form, and hopefully we begin to play smaller and quicker (Smith at the 4, or even Hunter at the 4). 

I'd love to see a lineup get tested that is something like Phinisee, Green, Anderson, Hunter, TJD. That could be an interesting lineup that plays well at both ends. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The above statement caught my attention.  You state that college coaches "over coach", but then mention AAU.  To me, when I think of AAU, I think of undercoaching, not over. 

That is why the college coaches have to over coach because the kids are not being taught the fundamentals at the early age.

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He was being run off away from the ball screens all night. I like Green, but I think some in the fan base way over rate him. He’s a guy that can get hot, absolutely, but when he’s not hot he takes a lot of bad shots, turns it over and makes bad decisions. Green needs Phinisee to get healthy so that he can just focus on scoring. 

I don't  recall if Green and Rob played much together.Do you think CAM didn't know how Rob would hold up? Not wanting 2 of his ballhandelers being lost on fouls

Archived