UCONN Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The above statement caught my attention.  You state that college coaches "over coach", but then mention AAU.  To me, when I think of AAU, I think of undercoaching, not over. 

Exactly they are the antithesis of each other. So the college coach overcompensates by over coaching the under coached freshmen coming in. Think they have to cram 30 years of basketball knowledge in the one season.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure someone else brought it up but just in case. We were +11 with Damezi on the floor. Kudos to that kid working his tail off to not only find his minutes (by playing defense) but contributing when he does.

I'm getting close to believing that our most effective lineups will included Jerome and Dameezi alternating time on the floor. They are still growing but both were better defensively last night,  they provide more length and are willing rebounders, and they can provide a little punch offensively...when they play the three (instead of our "big" lineup) there is better spacing...

I think that you have four guards you can trust to various degrees, put two of Durham, Green, Phinisee, and Franklin on the floor at all times...give Damezi and Jerome fifteen-eighteen minutes each, but not at the same time...

Use Justin at the three for the ten minutes that Damezi and Jerome are not on the floor, and for fifteen minutes at the four...

Give TJD time at the five and at the four and then fill in with Race Thompson and Joey Brunk...

1 minute ago, loviubb said:

I don't  recall if Green and Rob played much together.Do you think CAM didn't know how Rob would hold up? Not wanting 2 of his ballhandelers being lost on fouls

Here's my take. I've seen a lot of criticism of Archie's substitutions and lineups, etc., and I'm not trying to come off as an Archie apologist, I just think sometimes fans default to substitutions and adjustments when they want to complain. 

I think last night Archie wanted to go with Phinisee big time, but also knew it was going to come down to the stretch. He said at halftime he might need to play Phinisee the entire second half. What I think happened, and I think it's silly to criticize this, is that Archie's plan was to keep Phinisee on the bench at the start of the second half as long as he could to preserve his energy. When the score basically stayed about a 5-6 point game the first 5-7 minutes, he kept Phinisee out to preserve him, knowing this was going to be a grind. 

Once UConn cut the lead, then he went to Phinisee. Phinisee them came out around the 9-minute mark to get a blow, along with TJD. Just so happens that the lineup of Green, Durham, Hunter, Smith and Brunk ended up playing really well. That's when Brunk went on his run, Smith and Hunter were making defensive plays and Durham was getting to the basket. That lineup played really well for a stretch, so Archie rode with it, and as much as we'd all like Phinisee and TJD out there, I don't think you can blame Archie, he played the hot hand.

Once it got down to two minutes he got Phinisee and TJD back out there. Could he have gone back to them sooner? Sure, but the let the game dictate it, which is fine. 

Winning ugly is still WINNING. I won't spend much time re-watching it but i will take it!

There seems to be a lot of ugly basketball out there right now, (IE: Louisville right before our game) it's hard to find someone playing beautiful games right now. 

To me it's part of the 'charm' of the college game. 

Also, I know I would be way jacked up to play in MSG, I would probably air ball all my first 3 pt attempt too! (hit the shot clock on the 2nd, catch some rim on the 3rd, bank in the 4th...)

Uconn is 53rd in KenPom ratings including 84th O and 34th D.  63rd in Sagarin.  That was the definition of a Bubble team we beat by 3 pts last night.  They shot 6-10 from the line, had 22 turnovers, and committed 5 more fouls.  

We will struggle to win any games on the road in the Big 10 playing like that.  Uconn wasnt good enough to make us pay for it, Wisconsin was.  We look great at home, top 20 team.  But this team has to figure out how to be better away from Assembly Hall. 

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is why the college coaches have to over coach because the kids are not being taught the fundamentals at the early age.

Wrong on many fronts. Go watch most high school coaches across out state and you see dedicated professionals teaching the fundamentals.  Every once in a while you get some guys that are overly talented and fundamentally sound then look out. Overall in high school across I can't say that but in this state our high school coaches do a tremendous job 

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

I haven't read this entire thread, so I'm not sure this was mentioned. But.....the best sequence of the entire game IMO was the Hunter mid range shot and the block on the other end. We turned the corner immediately after that. 

Agree. I would love to see Hunter at the 4 in a small ball lineup. At least right now he lacks the handles and athleticism to penetrate from the wing, but he clearly has a desire to get to the block IMO and he's more offensively gifted there than Smith, who also tries to get there. 

I'd love to see for a stretch a Phinisee, Green/Franklin, Anderson, Hunter, TJD lineup where we work to get Hunter the ball in the paint, though this is really where you wish you had a big that could shoot. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Same, not trying to justify IU's offense, but it just makes me laugh to see all of this criticism of Archie and then the same people comment how well coached UConn is?!?! We just beat UConn. Someone actually criticised our turnovers, we had 13 and UConn had 22, yet Archie is a moron and Hurley has UConn on the right track?!?!

I've seen it posted that UConn played amazing defense and that ours was 'decent'. 

Again, this isn't me saying our offense is great, but from a schematic standpoint we run basically what everyone else runs (which is a problem in basketball right now, NBA and NCAA, everyone basically does the same thing, there's no creativity) we just don't have many playmakers especially with Phinisee hurt. Green and Phinisee are the only two guys on the team that can create their own shot and hit big shots. Durham can every once and a while, but he doesn't scare any opposing coach. None of our bigs can shoot either. IU is still lacking in offensive talent. 

How does that change this year? We have to hope Green settles down and becomes consistent (I know, been waiting 4 years for that), Phinisee gets and stays healthy, Hunter gets into form, and hopefully we begin to play smaller and quicker (Smith at the 4, or even Hunter at the 4). 

I'd love to see a lineup get tested that is something like Phinisee, Green, Anderson, Hunter, TJD. That could be an interesting lineup that plays well at both ends. 

I'm glad you're on point this morning.  And absolutely yes that is our best lineup. Also loved the lineup the last 10 minutes of the 1st half.  Quickness and defense.  Brunk and Davis have spurts buy not sustainable.  Juat get them in for 2-3 minutes, hard dominate posts.   Maybe draw some fouls and get them right back out before they get winded and blown out on defense.  

Trayce wore out.  But it was clear that him at the 5 was the best run.  

3 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Uconn is 53rd in KenPom ratings including 84th O and 34th D.  63rd in Sagarin.  That was the definition of a Bubble team we beat by 3 pts last night.  They shot 6-10 from the line, had 22 turnovers, and committed 5 more fouls.  

We will struggle to win any games on the road in the Big 10 playing like that.  Uconn wasnt good enough to make us pay for it, Wisconsin was.  We look great at home, top 20 team.  But this team has to figure out how to be better away from Assembly Hall. 

Life is a lot better when you look at the positives over the negatives and it make watching the game better as well.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Here's my take. I've seen a lot of criticism of Archie's substitutions and lineups, etc., and I'm not trying to come off as an Archie apologist, I just think sometimes fans default to substitutions and adjustments when they want to complain. 

I think last night Archie wanted to go with Phinisee big time, but also knew it was going to come down to the stretch. He said at halftime he might need to play Phinisee the entire second half. What I think happened, and I think it's silly to criticize this, is that Archie's plan was to keep Phinisee on the bench at the start of the second half as long as he could to preserve his energy. When the score basically stayed about a 5-6 point game the first 5-7 minutes, he kept Phinisee out to preserve him, knowing this was going to be a grind. 

Once UConn cut the lead, then he went to Phinisee. Phinisee them came out around the 9-minute mark to get a blow, along with TJD. Just so happens that the lineup of Green, Durham, Hunter, Smith and Brunk ended up playing really well. That's when Brunk went on his run, Smith and Hunter were making defensive plays and Durham was getting to the basket. That lineup played really well for a stretch, so Archie rode with it, and as much as we'd all like Phinisee and TJD out there, I don't think you can blame Archie, he played the hot hand.

Once it got down to two minutes he got Phinisee and TJD back out there. Could he have gone back to them sooner? Sure, but the let the game dictate it, which is fine. 

I noticed that TJD was coming in when Brunk went to the line for his and one. When he made it sat back down. I thought that was good coaching as Brunk finished up his little run.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Wrong on many fronts. Go watch most high school coaches across out state and you see dedicated professionals teaching the fundamentals.  Every once in a while you get some guys that are overly talented and fundamentally sound then look out. Overall in high school across I can't say that but in this state our high school coaches do a tremendous job 

I am talking about AAU basketball

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Life is a lot better when you look at the positives over the negatives and it make watching the game better as well.

Scott I've had plenty of positive things to say about this team so far this year.  But now we that we've seen this team away from assembly hall twice, I'm becoming skeptical of anything more than a bubble NCAA tourney team again this year.  I hope I'm wrong. 

I think people are being too hard on De'Ron, he made a nice move to clear space on that play where he got swatted, he had a bunny roll out, and he dropped a pass because he tried to dunk it before he caught it: he easily could have had 10 points in 9 minutes. 

Brunk looked pretty good last night. I wish he would have known about Jumpy McShotBlock and either gone up strong or try to be cute to avoid the swat - those first 2 he got on Brunk were just gimmies for that kid. But still, those moves would have resulted in points against most bigs. He got exposed against UW, so maybe guarding mobile bigs with a nice outside touch is not for him, but seems that he can hold his own against more traditional bigs.

I would love to see a video compilation of UConn's turnovers, I feel like most of them were bad decisions forced by their guards getting frustrated by our pressure and shutting down the lane. It's not like they were missing opportunities that were there for the taking - they were trying to create something, because nothing was available.

In my mind it is now confirmed that TJD is going to have a very good year, but will not be heading to the draft this year, and likely not next year either. He'll get to the league eventually, but he's got a lot of college games to play first.

7 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Scott I've had plenty of positive things to say about this team so far this year.  But now we that we've seen this team away from assembly hall twice, I'm becoming skeptical of anything more than a bubble NCAA tourney team again this year.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Before the season what did you think the record would be at this time?  I guess I have just mellowed the older I get and not let things bother me like I use to.  If we win then I happy and will enjoy it then move on to the next game.  If we lose I am disappointed for awhile then move on to the next one.  Before I would agonize over losses and bad play for days but not anymore.

3 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I think people are being too hard on De'Ron, he made a nice move to clear space on that play where he got swatted, he had a bunny roll out, and he dropped a pass because he tried to dunk it before he caught it: he easily could have had 10 points in 9 minutes. 

Brunk looked pretty good last night. I wish he would have known about Jumpy McShotBlock and either gone up strong or try to be cute to avoid the swat - those first 2 he got on Brunk were just gimmies for that kid. But still, those moves would have resulted in points against most bigs. He got exposed against UW, so maybe guarding mobile bigs with a nice outside touch is not for him, but seems that he can hold his own against more traditional bigs.

I would love to see a video compilation of UConn's turnovers, I feel like most of them were bad decisions forced by their guards getting frustrated by our pressure and shutting down the lane. It's not like they were missing opportunities that were there for the taking - they were trying to create something, because nothing was available.

In my mind it is now confirmed that TJD is going to have a very good year, but will not be heading to the draft this year, and likely not next year either. He'll get to the league eventually, but he's got a lot of college games to play first.

I think the question on TJD will be, can he get himself drafted high enough to where he's comfortable and can work on his perimeter game in the G-League or NBA, or is his goal to be drafted as high as possible? If his goal is the latter, he's going to need to develop an outside game first (which is good for IU because it keeps him there longer). 

He's been great as a freshmen, but it's really tough for IU offensively when you don't have to defend TJD, Brunk or Smith outside the paint, and frankly you're not really worried about Durham out there either. Durham can shoot, but you'll live with him taking perimeter shots. That's 4/5 of our starting lineup and 3/5 that you don't even have to defend outside the paint. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Before the season what did you think the record would be at this time?  I guess I have just mellowed the older I get and not let things bother me like I use to.  If we win then I happy and will enjoy it then move on to the next game.  If we lose I am disappointed for awhile then move on to the next one.  Before I would agonize over losses and bad play for days but not anymore.

A lot of unknowns to start this year so it was difficult to predict.  But I was hoping for a better overall year than last year and I dont think that is too much to ask.  I also thought a lot of the prognosticators were undervaluing IU, 9-10th ish in the Big 10.  I thought we could finish in the 4-8 range.  

Verdict is still out, obviously, but the trends so far make it difficult to predict we win more than a couple big 10 road games.  That likely puts us squarely on the bubble. 

1 minute ago, CincyHoosier said:

A lot of unknowns to start this year so it was difficult to predict.  But I was hoping for a better overall year than last year and I dont think that is too much to ask.  I also thought a lot of the prognosticators were undervaluing IU, 9-10th ish in the Big 10.  I thought we could finish in the 4-8 range.  

Verdict is still out, obviously, but the trends so far make it difficult to predict we win more than a couple big 10 road games.  That likely puts us squarely on the bubble. 

I thought we would finish around 5th in the conference and still think we will be in that area.

27 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I haven't read this entire thread, so I'm not sure this was mentioned. But.....the best sequence of the entire game IMO was the Hunter mid range shot and the block on the other end. We turned the corner immediately after that. 

Good point.  Little shifts like that shift the momentum and cofidence.

We had the opposite occur early in the second half.  Those sequences/stretches have killed us in the past few seasons (the "bad" ones).

I think the stretch where Brunk got mad and played emotionally was another such "good" stretch.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think the question on TJD will be, can he get himself drafted high enough to where he's comfortable and can work on his perimeter game in the G-League or NBA, or is his goal to be drafted as high as possible? If his goal is the latter, he's going to need to develop an outside game first (which is good for IU because it keeps him there longer). 

He's been great as a freshmen, but it's really tough for IU offensively when you don't have to defend TJD, Brunk or Smith outside the paint, and frankly you're not really worried about Durham out there either. Durham can shoot, but you'll live with him taking perimeter shots. That's 4/5 of our starting lineup and 3/5 that you don't even have to defend outside the paint. 

I'm sure he could play in the G-League if he wanted to, but unless you're from a family that's really strapped for cash (and TJD most certainly is not) then I don't see why anyone would take that route. I don't see the athletic upside that let's some guys get to the league before they're ready to contribute. If I'm an NBA GM why would I pay TJD for 2-3 years to sit the bench, use up a roster spot I could use for a productive player or a lottery ticket, all for a guy who's upside seems to be a solid, but unspectacular rotation guy? I don't mean that as a knock on TJD, I think he will be a solid pro for a decade, but I have a hard time seeing him as a legit NBA star.

We have a limited offense. If you had given me Hunter's stats two months ago, I would fear we might not even make the NIT. I'm impressed that we've been able to build our offense around penetrating and foul shooting, but we're going to need Hunter or Damezei to score if we are going to win consistently. Both of them scoring sure would be nice.

Archived