UCONN Postgame Thread

KDB

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

You are talking about the top D1 kids. Watch some tape on Leal and Galloway and Kaufman and high school tape of Phin and Hunter thats at PU and many other top 100-150 players from our state and they are sound. On some things we can agree to disagree the role of the high school coach in recruiting and helping select college has changed to an extent but most high school coaches are doing the individual workouts to give these gifted players the tools they need. 

Those three have been extremely well coached.  Hoffman, engrained since 5th grade to play fundamental Bobby ball then went to Hanover and became a coaches favorite because of work ethic and fundamental ball.  Holmes an Indiana high school basketball coaching legend, I would also be safe to assume a feeder system that books could be written about.  Galloway, literally plays for his dad.  

3 poor examples to make your point on.  I'm sorry your experiences were with the guys that had to play team ball to beat high level guys.  You did it the right way.  My point is the countless sloppy scrimmaging type of games these kids play with no accountability,  no coaching.  Its year round and on top of high school ball. 

Another point.   Some of these high level kids are leaving our beloved high school teams to play mercenary ball at academies.  High school ball, though still pretty great in Indiana is not even close to what it meant 20 years ago to these kids.  

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

When I said top D1 prospects, the top 100-150 collectively was what I was referencing.  And I also said "most", not all.  The thing you have to remember, the state of Indiana produces a lot of collegiate level talent. But not all.  Indiana high school basketball is better than most states, but it can't produce 100% of collegiate talent.  Not for in-state programs or any program. 

The state of Indiana is the exception, not the rule. 

Correct and that is why I stated I can only speak to what coaches in Indiana do. I don;t have the foggiest  nor do I care what is happening in other states. I agree that in most places outside of Indiana it is not happening like it does here. I probably misread somewhere along the lines and I do think that college coaches have to do more work now than in the past but and there are plenty of areas to put blame AAU is definitely 1 as is ESPN and top plays and social media and being recognized at 5 as the best payer on the planet etc.  

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hold on a minute.

We are currently #32 in Sagarin, Wisconsin is 48. 

We are currently 27 in KenPom, Wisconsin is 49.

Why do you think they had 22 TOs? They just threw the ball away, or maybe we played D. Why did they shoot only 10 free throws? Maybe because we avoided bad fouls despite a defensive battle game. That's a good thing.

Wisconsin beat us after losing road games, on its home floor, with motivation to win. It's always hard to win on the road in the B1G. 

But if you're going to throw out KenPom (still early) and Sagarin ratings, why ignore where we're 'ranked'? 

We won a hard fought late game on a neutral floor in MSG. We won despite not having a good offensive game, and still bringing Rob back in limited minutes. We had good defensive contribution from Hunter and Demez, who also aren't there yet. Seems more likely, assuming health, we'll get better. 

To illustrate how average UConn is.  We don't have 7 home games to start the big 10 season like we did to start the non con season.  The results so far have been much different especially from an offensive efficiency perspective.  My original point was this will be a long season if this is how we play on the road.  We won't win many Big 10 road games unless something changes (maybe healthy Rob) if these trends continue away from assembly hall. 

Just now, CincyHoosier said:

To illustrate how average UConn is.  We don't have 7 home games to start the big 10 season like we did to start the non con season.  The results so far have been much different especially from an offensive efficiency perspective.  My original point was this will be a long season if this is how we play on the road.  We won't win many Big 10 road games unless something changes (maybe healthy Rob) if these trends continue away from assembly hall. 

It's not home vs road, it's level of opponents.  Out of the first 7 games, I'd venture to guess the results would be fairly similar even if they were all on the road.

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Those three have been extremely well coached.  Hoffman, engrained since 5th grade to play fundamental Bobby ball then went to Hanover and became a coaches favorite because of work ethic and fundamental ball.  Holmes an Indiana high school basketball coaching legend, I would also be safe to assume a feeder system that books could be written about.  Galloway, literally plays for his dad.  

3 poor examples to make your point on.  I'm sorry your experiences were with the guys that had to play team ball to beat high level guys.  You did it the right way.  My point is the countless sloppy scrimmaging type of games these kids play with no accountability,  no coaching.  Its year round and on top of high school ball. 

Another point.   Some of these high level kids are leaving our beloved high school teams to play mercenary ball at academies.  High school ball, though still pretty great in Indiana is not even close to what it meant 20 years ago to these kids.  

I chose those to make my point. high school coaches take a lot of time to put in place the opportunities for all their players to get better. Those coaches have been around forever because their teams win. Why because they help develop those kids. they have systems in place their assistants work their butts off. When you surround a D1 talent with players that understand the game you can win and win big. the impact of the high school coach in my humble opinion is far greater than the role of the AAU program at least in Indiana. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

That is why the college coaches have to over coach because the kids are not being taught the fundamentals at the early age.

Probably the most untrue statement posted on this board. The youth skill development is wayyyyyy better than it's ever been.  

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think that is all anyone has seriously thought we would be anyways. I think most people when the season started see us as an 8-9 seed. If we gel and it comes together well possibly a 6-7 seed and if not a 10-11 seed or worse another #1/#2 NIT seed. I don't think anyone coming into this year expects us to finish in the top 3 of the B1G. We are right now exactly who I thought we would be (and that isn't bad). I mean most of the season we have had to start two freshman, a guard that has never ran the point, and a grad transfer that didn't even get a majority of the minutes on his last team. Think about this. We were starting AL, Armaan, Justin, Trayce, and Brunk…..not a single player in that starting lineup played that position for us last year...a completely new starting 5 even though Al and Justin have started they were in a new role. Rob will settle some things down and some rotations. In the end this team will probably go as well as Green goes. If he is hitting we will likely compete with the best and win a lot of games..if he is bad Green we will likely struggle to score and get beat or look rough winning. I like our core....we are just a couple players away..add a couple really good shooters/scorers to Trayce and Rob and Justin and Damezi/Jerome and this thing can take off. Now I don't know if Leal and Galloway will be able to do that as freshmen...but as this thing moves forward I think it will level out.

Maybe.  Right now its easy to say you'd be ok being a bubble team because (paraphrasing) that's about what you expected.  But at the end of the season, if this is a bubble team, a lot (and I mean a lot) of us will be disappointed.  

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's not home vs road, it's level of opponents.  Out of the first 7 games, I'd venture to guess the results would be fairly similar even if they were all on the road.

Big guess.  I'd be willing to bet we would not have the offensive efficiency rating we have now if all the games were away from AH. 

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

At least we didn't let uconn off the hook

Yep...we are two bubble teams in my eyes....and we won...that should bode well come March. I circle the Arkansas game too....that will be another out of conference game that the committee can look at to measure us because most of our wins will come in the B1G against middle to bottom of the pack teams and there won't be a lot of road wins. Just look at Penn St. and Maryland. Maryland is the #4 team in the country and they were an underdog in vegas going to Happy Valley.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I chose those to make my point. high school coaches take a lot of time to put in place the opportunities for all their players to get better. Those coaches have been around forever because their teams win. Why because they help develop those kids. they have systems in place their assistants work their butts off. When you surround a D1 talent with players that understand the game you can win and win big. the impact of the high school coach in my humble opinion is far greater than the role of the AAU program at least in Indiana. 

Agree.  My point is the endless mindnumbing, sloppy, uncoached scrimmaging.  And in my opinion and little experience,  the higher level kids spend way too much time scrimmaging around, playing pick up games.  Aau is just an extension of pick up ball.   Imo

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Probably the most untrue statement posted on this board. The youth skill development is wayyyyyy better than it's ever been.  

Yes. I did not start playing basketball until 5th grade elementary teams.  My oldest son started playing at 5 in a league by 5th grade he had played well over 100 games. I was able to coach him and all the kids in our feeder system and help get them ready while coaching high school and doing the same in another school system.  I agree with you no comparison. 

2 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Big guess.  I'd be willing to bet we would not have the offensive efficiency rating we have now if all the games were away from AH. 

I think with 6 out of the 7, we could have played the games in any arena in the country and results wouldn't have changed. LATech, maybe. 

"The Florida St game was the launching point for the season and gave us a glimpse of this team's quality.  This may be a bigger test of this team's potential moving forward though.  Winning on the road is hard, especially in conference play.  If we are going to finish top 4-5 in conference these are the types of games we have to win.  These are the games that separate a 10-10 conference season from a 14-6 conference season.  It would be a bit of a letdown if we lost to Wisky but if the guys learn from it to snatch a few road games down the line we can still reach our destination."

This is where I was pre-Wisconsin.  Now we've seen 2 games away from AH.  From what I've seen its going to be hard to win a true road game against even an average team (like 40-70 range).  That will land us around .500 in conference.  That's a bit disappointing to me, that's all. 

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

An ugly game and but good to see IU win a game like that. I’m not sure if I feel better or worse about IU after that, but bottom line, it’s a win and it’s good for the resume to get that win. 

A few rambling takeaways. 

- Good to win, but when forcing that many turnovers, we should have won by 10+

- If IU is in the tournament conversation, that win will help

- Archie has some intestinal fortitude to keep Phinisee and TJD on the bench for such a long period down the stretch. He did it because the lineup was playing well, so he rode it, which I like. But man, it took some to stick with it. 

- We’re a much different team with Phinisee. Need to get him healthy to where he can play 25-30 minutes

- I don’t love the prospects of this team if we can’t shoot away from Assembly Hall. You’re not going to win many games only making a couple 3’s. 

- We’re much better with Smith at the 4 in a smaller lineup, and it’s when the offense looked the best  

- It hurts IU that none of Brunk, TJD, Thompson, Davis, or even really Smith can shoot outside the paint. That’s going to be a problem as we get into conference play

- De’Ron Davis is done, unfortunately. I’m not saying he won’t have a moment here or there, but he should play really limited minutes. 

smith is making outside shots this season

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. Let's be real...most bad HS programs aren't putting out D1 talent. Why...kids don't get that good without great fundamentals early on 99% of the time. Those kids either move to those HS programs are come from them. By the time they get to AAU they have the fundamentals etc. Now...what I think many people are saying is that AAU undermines what HS coaches are teaching and it is having a detrimental effect. I don't follow AAU enough to say that for a fact. A lot of bad habits (defense/shot selection/one on one ball). So I'm not sure where the argument is....is the effect of AAU overriding the teaching kids get in HS by in large? I still think in the state of Indiana kids get the best HS coaching and fundamentals around...does that mean that the AAU style doesn't erode some of that...no...but I would think good AAU coaching would expound off of that. But let's be real...no kid even gets to AAU basketball without the excellent foundation middle school and grade school coaching puts in....and that all starts at the top with the HS program having influence.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes. I did not start playing basketball until 5th grade elementary teams.  My oldest son started playing at 5 in a league by 5th grade he had played well over 100 games. I was able to coach him and all the kids in our feeder system and help get them ready while coaching high school and doing the same in another school system.  I agree with you no comparison. 

I was only in education for 10 years.  I've seen both.  I was in a small system with zero feeder system because of coaching changes one after another.  I had 6th grade boys.   Literally their first year ever except for 2 kids whose parents played ball and took them into "the city" to play YMCA type ball.  I had kids that didn't know what a double dribble was.  Fast forward.  That system has brought in a former player turned coach and has been there right at 10 years.  Iirc they may have been top 3 in 1 or 2 a last i looked.  He started the feeder immediately.  Now it's playing him back.  Big school up north, many coaching changes, legendary men's and women's programs, get smashed by the county schools 4 out of 5 years because of politics and lack of feeder.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

And have been doing two ball handling drills since they came out of the womb 😂😂

Very true. I had the pleasure to coach Ayden;s group of kids until it became clear that he would not have the physical ability to continue. I left it in good hands and it was never just about my son, but it was a big part. Now those 6th graders have a great opportunity to use what they have learned to be successful in school basketball. because of the new opportunities that exist and high school coaches putting time in to make those opportunities available. With that being said even being the smallest, weakest, slowest kid on any team we faced Ayden still had more basketball skill than 90% because he was taught those things. Maybe this stuff is not happening everywhere but it is happening

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Very true. I had the pleasure to coach Ayden;s group of kids until it became clear that he would not have the physical ability to continue. I left it in good hands and it was never just about my son, but it was a big part. Now those 6th graders have a great opportunity to use what they have learned to be successful in school basketball. because of the new opportunities that exist and high school coaches putting time in to make those opportunities available. With that being said even being the smallest, weakest, slowest kid on any team we faced Ayden still had more basketball skill than 90% because he was taught those things. Maybe this stuff is not happening everywhere but it is happening

I was astonished when I showed up at some 7th and 8th grade practices. So much more skill work than when I went through. I'm only 28, so it wasn't THAT long ago. Everyone is asked to handle it, everyone is asked to pass it, everyone is asked to defend on the perimeter, everyone is asked to shoot it. Position less. 

Archived