UCONN Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

My point is that what I am seeing this year in college basketball is showing a lot of these players are not fundamentally sound players.  They don't play well without the ball or know how to use screens off the ball to their advantage and they don't know how to really set good screens.  The skill development that you talk about that I see is these kids really know how to cross people over and try to make them look bad but I don't see sound fundamental players.  I don't see many top end shooting in the college game and I have seen a lot of unforced turnovers.  I put a lot of the blame on summer ball where the kids spend most of their summer playing because they are only out playing games on not working on how to play as a team.

Playing without the ball is taught as much as playing with the ball at these young ages. Especially how to read screens and where to fill when someone drives or there is a post entry. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As a fan you should never view a game as a negative if your team wins. 

Also.. complaining about substitution patterns is lame and played out, we should have dumped that complaint when Crean left. Archie knows his guys and we don't really want to read the complaints on here. 

That's an easy nitpick,and one I just ignore. That's too fluid of a situation and requires being in the coach's shoes at that moment.

"Why didn't XYZ go back in until after half?" Could have been a number of things. Maybe the coach didn't like the matchups. Maybe the kid is a little under the weather and needed an extra breather. Maybe he told the coach "Can barely walk.... I'm going to need to drop a massive deuce at halftime."

My first post in the UCONN post game thread.  Many of you may be surprised by that. Some, not many may be upset that I have chosen to opine. Regardless.

Here's my take.  No one knows his team better than Coach Miller.  I saw a lot of carping about Joey starting out the second half, in the game thread. Based on his first half performance. And I just had to say.  When the going got tough in the second half, both Joey and Al got going. And kept us in the game.  Without Joey's limited, but critical point contribution, we may have lost that game in New York City. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

That's an easy nitpick,and one I just ignore. That's too fluid of a situation and requires being in the coach's shoes at that moment.

"Why didn't XYZ go back in until after half?" Could have been a number of things. Maybe the coach didn't like the matchups. Maybe the kid is a little under the weather and needed an extra breather. Maybe he told the coach "Can barely walk.... I'm going to need to drop a massive deuce at halftime."

All correct.... maybe player A didn't have a practice week that was worth a F*** and Archie doesn't trust him. Maybe that kid mouthed off about coming out the first time. Maybe the coach just made a mistake. lol 

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I think people are being too hard on De'Ron, he made a nice move to clear space on that play where he got swatted, he had a bunny roll out, and he dropped a pass because he tried to dunk it before he caught it: he easily could have had 10 points in 9 minutes. 

Brunk looked pretty good last night. I wish he would have known about Jumpy McShotBlock and either gone up strong or try to be cute to avoid the swat - those first 2 he got on Brunk were just gimmies for that kid. But still, those moves would have resulted in points against most bigs. He got exposed against UW, so maybe guarding mobile bigs with a nice outside touch is not for him, but seems that he can hold his own against more traditional bigs.

I would love to see a video compilation of UConn's turnovers, I feel like most of them were bad decisions forced by their guards getting frustrated by our pressure and shutting down the lane. It's not like they were missing opportunities that were there for the taking - they were trying to create something, because nothing was available.

In my mind it is now confirmed that TJD is going to have a very good year, but will not be heading to the draft this year, and likely not next year either. He'll get to the league eventually, but he's got a lot of college games to play first.

I agree. He will not be a good matchup in all games but when he gets opportunities in the right situation, he can provide some valuable contributions.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/12/11/deron-davis-presence-starting-to-be-felt-on-and-off-the-court/

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

My first post in the UCONN post game thread.  Many of you may be surprised by that. Some, not many may be upset that I have chosen to opine. Regardless.

Here's my take.  No one knows his team better than Coach Miller.  I saw a lot of carping about Joey starting out the second half, in the game thread. Based on his first half performance. And I just had to say.  When the going got tough in the second half, both Joey and Al got going. And kept us in the game.  Without Joey's limited, but critical point contribution, we may have lost that game in New York City. 

Indeed. Joey scored 7 of his 9 points in an excellent two min stretch --> He was battling down low and was also tough....both characteristics that we have lacked more often than not in prior years. 

1 hour ago, coachv said:

smith is making outside shots this season

I guess a little better this season. He's shooting 31% from 3 and yes, he has hit a few midrange jumpers, but he's also airballed a few as well this season, as he did last.

The bottom line is, and you're a coach, right, so you know this, if you're defending IU you're telling guys to sag off Smith and let him shoot all day long and prove he can make a few. What you don't want is Smith getting into the paint for dunks and drawing fouls. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess a little better this season. He's shooting 31% from 3 and yes, he has hit a few midrange jumpers, but he's also airballed a few as well this season, as he did last.

The bottom line is, and you're a coach, right, so you know this, if you're defending IU you're telling guys to sag off Smith and let him shoot all day long and prove he can make a few. What you don't want is Smith getting into the paint for dunks and drawing fouls. 

Last year, absolutely. Let him shoot until his arm falls off.

This year so far, yes, you might sag off of him, but maybe half a step less than last year.

My takes....

A horrible win is better than a horrible loss!

It is imperative that RP is healthy bc it appears we have don’t have a backup PG. He was prob my MVP. 

The first game TJD played that he looked like a freshman.

Brunk and DD play hard and have moments, but neither should be in the game against an athletic team.

DG was back to himself with the horrible decisions and carelessness with the ball

AD can contribute off the ball, but should not be running the point. 

JS was ok. 

Race, Damezi, Jerome, and AF didn’t make much of an impact. 

Better show up on Fri or the Big10 will throw another gut punch. 

22 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

My takes....

It is imperative that RP is healthy bc it appears we have don’t have a backup PG. He was prob my MVP. 

Brunk and DD play hard and have moments, but neither should be in the game against an athletic team.

DG was back to himself with the horrible decisions and carelessness with the ball

JS was ok. 

I disagree about Jerome not having an impact. He may have only scored once but he had some timely rebounds, steals and a block in the last second half. Plus I think he was great defensively. 

25 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

My takes....

JS was ok. 

Agree with some, disagree with others.

While Brunk has his limitations, and he was bad against Wisconsin and the first half against UConn, he was great the last 8-9 minutes last night. We don't win that without him. 

Smith, while not adding much offensively, which is hurting IU, he was really good from a defensive and leadership standpoint. Really pleased with his maturity this season, just wish his offense would come around.

Anderson and Hunter played critical roles last night. Both played some of their best defense of the season. Both hit big shots in the game. We do need way more offense from them, but I'm hoping that will come around. 

42 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We were +11 with Damezi on the floor last night.  Highest out of anyone.

He and Race are textbook examples of guys that can positively impact a game, but it doesn't show up in the box score.

Edit: And second the opinion on Jerome.  This was the first game I felt he had an actual impact on.  Wasn't huge. But he made some plays down the stretch when it counted.

1 hour ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

I disagree about Jerome not having an impact. He may have only scored once but he had some timely rebounds, steals and a block in the last second half. Plus I think he was great defensively. 

I won’t argue with that, now that I think about it. I do think we need more from both him and DA offensively if we’re going to reach our potential.

I try to wait a day before giving my opinion so that it’s not too emotional. But that causes me to forget things at the same time I think. Four kids under 9 does not help.

re: conversation about Brunk.

There was a play last night that drove me crazy. For some reason Brunk hedged a screen set at the free throw line. The player Brunk was guarding was left all alone under the basket, Justin (or TJD) was forced to move on to the open man - as a result a shooter was left wide open for a 3 that he drained. This is when I started yelling for a timeout as if CAM could here me in MSG. 

I just don't think the guy should start. As I said before, he's situational. I appreciate his fire and leadership and I'm thankful he stayed focused and went into beast mode in the 2nd half, but they guy just can't guard on the perimeter and his hedging is horrible. And if CAM doesn't think coaches are going to continue to expose that (Gard and Hurley already have) then he's mistaken. Having him face opposing team's starters will lead us into more bad starts and holes we need to dig ourselves out of. 

Again, still love Brunk, love the effort, love the hair - just don't love his agility. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree with some, disagree with others.

While Brunk has his limitations, and he was bad against Wisconsin and the first half against UConn, he was great the last 8-9 minutes last night. We don't win that without him. 

Smith, while not adding much offensively, which is hurting IU, he was really good from a defensive and leadership standpoint. Really pleased with his maturity this season, just wish his offense would come around.

Anderson and Hunter played critical roles last night. Both played some of their best defense of the season. Both hit big shots in the game. We do need way more offense from them, but I'm hoping that will come around. 

I’ll counter Bruno’s last 8-9 minutes with how bad he was in the first 8-9 minutes. 😂 How about we call it a wash?

Last night I felt JS was just okay. But okay Justin is way better than last year Justin. He seems to be playing within himself this year.

i can’t disagree with your assessment of JH and DA. DA’s defense is MUCH improved this year. I just want more from them on offense. 

59 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

We were +11 with Damezi on the floor last night.  Highest out of anyone.

He and Race are textbook examples of guys that can positively impact a game, but it doesn't show up in the box score.

Edit: And second the opinion on Jerome.  This was the first game I felt he had an actual impact on.  Wasn't huge. But he made some plays down the stretch when it counted.

I can’t argue with your statement on DA. His D is MUCH improved this year. He seems like he’s starting to find an identity. I like Race, but don’t think he contributed much last night.

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

I can’t argue with your statement on DA. His D is MUCH improved this year. He seems like he’s starting to find an identity. I like Race, but don’t think he contributed much last night.

Last night? No, wasn't a very good game.  Not really negative, but not many positives either.  But, most of his contributions this year have been like DA's: out of the box score.

Archived