Conference record expectation

bobtcat2

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am going to go with 9-11.  I just don't trust this team yet.  Even though we won ugly and a win is a win, i don't see much change from last year to this.  Still can't run a decent offense, leave 3 point shooters open way to much, and turn the ball over to much still.  But i am a pessimist and i am also not a huge fan of Coach Miller as a coach, like him as a person and recruiter, just my personal thoughts on his coaching. 

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i am going to go with 9-11.  I just don't trust this team yet.  Even though we won ugly and a win is a win, i don't see much change from last year to this.  Still can't run a decent offense, leave 3 point shooters open way to much, and turn the ball over to much still.  But i am a pessimist and i am also not a huge fan of Coach Miller as a coach, like him as a person and recruiter, just my personal thoughts on his coaching. 

Liked your post bc while I am not on the same page as you, appreciate your explanation of where you're coming from and reasonable minds can always disagree

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Liked your post bc while I am not on the same page as you, appreciate your explanation of where you're coming from and reasonable minds can always disagree

So, you don't usually like my posts because you don't think I have a reasonable mind.  :coffee:

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Or after the game Tuesday, Archie is a coach with a terrible offense, a ‘decent’ defense, with bad substitution patterns, that turns it over too much, but UConn is a well coached team that plays hard and Hurley has them headed in the right direction. 

Wait... was that really the consensus on Archie after the game Tuesday? 

We had a few really rough offensive stretches, but I liked how we defended, I thought his substitutions were pretty good - he sat Brunk after his rough start but then turned back to him and got some crucial minutes from him, and I think we saw the difference that Rob can make for everyone when he can get on the floor. 

I see us going 12-8, could swing a game or two in either direction, and I think that is progress. Two huge x-factors are Rob getting healthy and progression from Hunter. He showed a couple flashes against UConn, I'd love to see him work his way into being able to play 20 minutes per game. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Wait... was that really the consensus on Archie after the game Tuesday? 

We had a few really rough offensive stretches, but I liked how we defended, I thought his substitutions were pretty good - he sat Brunk after his rough start but then turned back to him and got some crucial minutes from him, and I think we saw the difference that Rob can make for everyone when he can get on the floor. 

I don't know that you could call it the consensus, but there were definitely some of that. There was one post that really bugged me that said UConn's defense was great and IU's was 'decent'. We held them to 52 points and they had 22 turnovers. And yes, there was a tone of praise for what Hurley is doing while a lot of criticism of Archie. 

I'm not saying Archie is above criticism, but not sure how you can watch that game and praise Hurley while ripping Archie!?!?

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know that you could call it the consensus, but there were definitely some of that. There was one post that really bugged me that said UConn's defense was great and IU's was 'decent'. We held them to 52 points and they had 22 turnovers. And yes, there was a tone of praise for what Hurley is doing while a lot of criticism of Archie. 

I'm not saying Archie is above criticism, but not sure how you can watch that game and praise Hurley while ripping Archie!?!?

Yeah I agree - I certainly don't think Archie is above criticism but I don't think that is the game to criticize him for. He called a timeout to stop the early run, put Brunk on the bench and things turned around. He had faith to put him back in the game later and he played a critical role. 

He knew Rob was limited but picked his spots to use him really well.

Our team shot terribly but did a good job of getting to the line and scoring around the basket.

I just didn't see a lot to criticize from a coaching standpoint. 

47 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I appreciate the explanation too. I'm not completely onboard with some it, but I appreciate it. I agree, I don't trust this team yet either. I'm not sure we can score enough points, consistently against good teams, especially on the road. 

Where I disagree is that our offense is fine from a schematic standpoint, especially this year. There is way more off the ball movement, way more ball movement, and way more screening off the ball. We've run flex at times and we're running our wings off screens to get open. Otherwise, we pretty much run the same offense as almost everyone else.

Basketball has actually gotten pretty boring and cookie cutter in terms of offensive creativity (in terms of styles of offense, not players being creative) with the increased emphasis on analytics. Pretty much everyone runs a series of actions to ultimately get into an advantageous ball screen situation to create mismatches. That's what most teams do. 

Our problem is more of the players. No, I'm not blaming the players or saying we don't have talent, I'm just saying that we don't have shot-makers on this team. We don't have playmakers. We don't have many guys that can just go get us buckets in the offense. If anything, you can call that a recruiting issue.

Other than Green, and he's wildly inconsistent, we don't have wings and guards that the other team is scared of going off, or that can get hot from 3 and just nail 3 three's in a 2-3 minute period, or cross people up and knock down 3 or 4 mid-range jumpers in a row. We also don't have a single big that can stretch the floor. That makes IU much easier to guard. 

So while I get criticism of recruiting in terms of bringing in another point guard, bringing in guys that can score (Hunter's setback really hurts here too) and getting bigs that can stretch the floor, I don't really get criticism of the offense from a schematic standpoint. 

Schematically, what is your issue with the offense? 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I agree - I certainly don't think Archie is above criticism but I don't think that is the game to criticize him for. He called a timeout to stop the early run, put Brunk on the bench and things turned around. He had faith to put him back in the game later and he played a critical role. 

He knew Rob was limited but picked his spots to use him really well.

Our team shot terribly but did a good job of getting to the line and scoring around the basket.

I just didn't see a lot to criticize from a coaching standpoint. 

Agree. I thought he handled Brunk and Phinisee well also. A lot of criticism of his substitution patterns, and while I thought he could have come back with TJD and Phinisee sooner down the stretch, I like that he rode the Brunk, Smith, Hunter, Al, Green lineup. They were playing well and secured the win. I like that he wasn't afraid to stick with what was working, whereas most coaches just default to putting their "guys" back in. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I thought he handled Brunk and Phinisee well also. A lot of criticism of his substitution patterns, and while I thought he could have come back with TJD and Phinisee sooner down the stretch, I like that he rode the Brunk, Smith, Hunter, Al, Green lineup. They were playing well and secured the win. I like that he wasn't afraid to stick with what was working, whereas most coaches just default to putting their "guys" back in. 

I agree - he also did that in the first half when we went on our run then. 

I ran the schedule against Sagarin's current ratings, adding 3 points for home court.  This was the result.  

0-1 now

Nebraska     (-14)    1-1
@ Maryland  (+8)    1-2
Northwestern (-9)    2-2
Ohio State     (+6)        2-3
@Rutgers    (-1.5)       3-3
@ Nebraska  (-8)       4-3
Michigan State (-.5)        5-3
Maryland (+2)       5-4
@ Penn St.   (+5.5)    5-5
@ Ohio State   (+12)    5-6
Purdue (-.5)    6-6
Iowa (-3)        7-6
@ Michigan   (+6)    7-7
@ Minnesota  (-1.5)    8-7
Penn St. (-.5)    9-7
@ Purdue (+5.5)    9-8
@ Illinois (+2.5)    9-9
Minnesota (-7.5)    10-9
Wisconsin (-6)    11-9

That's 20-9 going into the B10 tournament.  If that holds I see a bid, maybe a 4-5 seed?  You guys know better than me on that.  Just FWIW.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree - he also did that in the first half when we went on our run then. 

I'm all for criticisms that are fair. I think Archie deserves some recruiting criticism. We only have 1 point guard, we still don't have reliable scorers/shooters and we don't have a single big that can stretch the floor. Another criticism I have is overall culture. I like the types of players he's recruiting in terms of character, etc., but I don't feel he's done great in establishing his personality as the personality of his teams. 

I think it's better this season than the previous two. But I did expect with Archie that we'd be one of those teams you always hear announcers say, "this team just exudes the head coaches personality and culture.", and I don't think that's really happened yet, and I'm not sure why? I think a part is that he still has numerous "Crean guys" that don't really fit that mold, but still while it's better, it's year 3 and isn't where it needs to be. 

Substitution patterns and adjustments, which are the typical fan default when complaining, don't really fit for me, but they get brought up a lot. 

I underlined my wins.  Got 10.  I will add that I think we get one of Ohio State at home(preferably them ranked #1), you rank em, we spank em.  Or @ Rutgers.  If we beat OSU at home we almost certainly go @ Rutgers and turd it up.  So I'll say 11-9.  

Nebraska, 8 p.m., BTN 

Jan. 4, Saturday: at Maryland, noon, Fox 

Jan. 8, Wednesday: vs. Northwestern, 7 p.m., BTN

Jan. 11, Saturday: vs. Ohio State, noon, Fox

Jan. 15, Wednesday: at Rutgers, 7 p.m., BTN

Jan. 18, Saturday: at Nebraska, 7 p.m., BTN

Jan. 23, Thursday: vs. Michigan State, 8:30 p.m., FS1

Jan. 26, Sunday: vs. Maryland, 1 p.m., CBS

Jan. 29, Wednesday: at Penn State, 8:30 p.m., BTN

Feb. 1, Saturday: at Ohio State, noon, ESPN/ESPN2 

Feb. 8, Saturday: vs. Purdue, 2 p.m., ESPN/ESPN2

Feb. 13, Thursday: vs. Iowa, 8 p.m., BTN 

Feb. 16, Sunday: at Michigan, 1 p.m., CBS

Feb. 19, Wednesday: at Minnesota, 9 p.m., BTN 

Feb. 23, Sunday: vs. Penn State, noon, FS1

Feb. 27, Thursday: at Purdue, 7 p.m., FS1

March 1, Sunday: at Illinois, 2 p.m., BTN

March 4, Wednesday: vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m., BTN

March 7, Saturday: vs. Wisconsin, noon, ESPN/ESPN2

10 minutes ago, morganmonroe said:

I ran the schedule against Sagarin's current ratings, adding 3 points for home court.  This was the result.  

0-1 now

Nebraska     (-14)    1-1
@ Maryland  (+8)    1-2
Northwestern (-9)    2-2
Ohio State     (+6)        2-3
@Rutgers    (-1.5)       3-3
@ Nebraska  (-8)       4-3
Michigan State (-.5)        5-3
Maryland (+2)       5-4
@ Penn St.   (+5.5)    5-5
@ Ohio State   (+12)    5-6
Purdue (-.5)    6-6
Iowa (-3)        7-6
@ Michigan   (+6)    7-7
@ Minnesota  (-1.5)    8-7
Penn St. (-.5)    9-7
@ Purdue (+5.5)    9-8
@ Illinois (+2.5)    9-9
Minnesota (-7.5)    10-9
Wisconsin (-6)    11-9

That's 20-9 going into the B10 tournament.  If that holds I see a bid, maybe a 4-5 seed?  You guys know better than me on that.  Just FWIW.

We an't be 20-9 going into the BTT because we play 31 games so you forgot the two games against Arkansas and ND

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I underlined my wins.  Got 10.  I will add that I think we get one of Ohio State at home(preferably them ranked #1), you rank em, we spank em.  Or @ Rutgers.  If we beat OSU at home we almost certainly go @ Rutgers and turd it up.  So I'll say 11-9.  

Nebraska, 8 p.m., BTN 

Jan. 4, Saturday: at Maryland, noon, Fox 

Jan. 8, Wednesday: vs. Northwestern, 7 p.m., BTN

Jan. 11, Saturday: vs. Ohio State, noon, Fox

Jan. 15, Wednesday: at Rutgers, 7 p.m., BTN

Jan. 18, Saturday: at Nebraska, 7 p.m., BTN

Jan. 23, Thursday: vs. Michigan State, 8:30 p.m., FS1

Jan. 26, Sunday: vs. Maryland, 1 p.m., CBS

Jan. 29, Wednesday: at Penn State, 8:30 p.m., BTN

Feb. 1, Saturday: at Ohio State, noon, ESPN/ESPN2 

Feb. 8, Saturday: vs. Purdue, 2 p.m., ESPN/ESPN2

Feb. 13, Thursday: vs. Iowa, 8 p.m., BTN 

Feb. 16, Sunday: at Michigan, 1 p.m., CBS

Feb. 19, Wednesday: at Minnesota, 9 p.m., BTN 

Feb. 23, Sunday: vs. Penn State, noon, FS1

Feb. 27, Thursday: at Purdue, 7 p.m., FS1

March 1, Sunday: at Illinois, 2 p.m., BTN

March 4, Wednesday: vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m., BTN

March 7, Saturday: vs. Wisconsin, noon, ESPN/ESPN2

I think we will win at Minnesota

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think we will win at Minnesota

I get it and we probably will win on the road somewhere at some point.  Right now I have completely run out of benefit of the doubt cards.  I've come around on some things after the last week and a half though.

1. We got FSU at the perfect time, in the perfect place.  Coming off of something like 4 games in 8 days, travel, etc and At Assembly Hall.  

2. Wisconsin, bad time, bad place.  Them coming off of three terrible games and then coming home.  Should have known but got caught up in over hyping the FSU win.  

3. UCONN.  The offense really struggled at times.  No ball movement, no spacing.  No one(Green) asserting themselves and putting a dagger in the Huskies heart.  But to scrap a win out in such ugly conditions, with just now getting everyone healthy and playing together.  Sort of forcing 22 turnovers.  There were certainly positives to take from it.  Can CAM and the team put it all together into a winning formula?  If so, and I'm talking like, 13+ conference wins and I'm sold and he's conference coach of the year.  I mean, I picked 11.  Just win 2 more anywhere.  

I can’t wait to get to a point where we’re saying “I think the only team in the B10 that could give us a scare is....”, and we are trying to figure out where a couple losses could come from. Hopefully next year is that year. 

As for this year I think we could go 12-8, maybe 13-7.

Archived