Conference record expectation

bobtcat2

I think the season will be made for IU over this 3 week span with just 1 game per week. We won't know it one way or the other, but I think this is where the rubber meets the road. 

This is the time for the team to practice well, tighten up the leaky aspects of the team, hopefully stay healthy (critical for this 3 week stretch of practices) and get guys like Hunter, Franklin, Anderson and Thompson much more comfortable. They've had a taste of what this level is like and now is the time for those guys to regroup and refine what needs worked on. 

If IU can come out of this next stretch healthy, with 3 strong weeks of practice and with wins over ND and Ark, then they should be set up nicely for the rest of the conference season. 

IMO, this 3-week stretch, assuming health, is partly what you pay a coach like Archie for. This IU team should be a much improved team after this stretch. We'll see. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think the season will be made for IU over this 3 week span with just 1 game per week. We won't know it one way or the other, but I think this is where the rubber meets the road. 

This is the time for the team to practice well, tighten up the leaky aspects of the team, hopefully stay healthy (critical for this 3 week stretch of practices) and get guys like Hunter, Franklin, Anderson and Thompson much more comfortable. They've had a taste of what this level is like and now is the time for those guys to regroup and refine what needs worked on. 

If IU can come out of this next stretch healthy, with 3 strong weeks of practice and with wins over ND and Ark, then they should be set up nicely for the rest of the conference season. 

IMO, this 3-week stretch, assuming health, is partly what you pay a coach like Archie for. This IU team should be a much improved team after this stretch. We'll see. 

Yep... After the Northwestern game we start a meat grinder that really doesn’t let up until the end of the season.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

And hopefully it affords Green the opportunity to get healthy 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Thoughtful post, and I agree. 

8 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

You still embracing mediocrity?  Good for you... keep it up old man.

Not sure 11-1 with 4 top 100 kenpom wins is mediocre. Just glad we're not Kentucky who has the double amount of losses we have and only 1 Kenpom top 100.  Do we still make some boneheaded plays? sure, particularly our upperclassman but I think you would agree our younger guys (overall) have been pretty impressive...they're called winners.  11-1 and on to the next one!

4 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Not sure 11-1 with 4 top 100 kenpom wins is mediocre. Just glad we're not Kentucky who has triple amount of losses we have and only 1 Kenpom top 100.  Do we still make some boneheaded plays? sure, particularly our upperclassman but I think you would agree our younger guys (overall) have been pretty impressive...they're called winners.  11-1 and on to the next one!

And we didn't lose to Evansville at home.  Just win baby!

12 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Assuming we beat Ark @ home, we would be 12-1 w/ 18 conf games left.  Can we go 8-10 the rest of the way to get to the magical 20 wins and a birth into the tournament?

I think so.  I'm ever the optimist, but I think they win between 9 and 11 of the remaining conference games after looking at the schedule.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I've thought again about our record in Big 10. Maybe I'll be wrong but I really do think the Big 10 is far and away the toughest conference top to bottom. 12 wins might the equivalent of 15-16 in other years. 

8 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

It starts with Ark @ HOME on Sun!!!  Will our Students show up to make this a true home game advantage or....  I can only scream so loud 4 hrs North but what about You?  It’s Miller Time in BTOWN so get behind this TRAIN!!!

Students are still out on break.  Unfortunately there are still plenty of tickets available through the box office, let alone the aftermarket sites like Stubhub.  I will be there cheering them on.  There used to be time that these games over the holiday breaks were the hottest ticket around, it was the only opportunity for may fans across the state to see a game in person, and people from hours away would buy tickets to come see a game.

I know this team has lots of areas for improvement and still makes a lot of boneheaded plays, and I understand they deserve a lot of the criticism they receive.  But they have managed to get themselves to an 11-1 record with one non-conference game left.  I, for one, am going to focus on that and stay positive and do all I can to support this team.  I have no idea what our conference record will be or if we will make the tournament this year.  After 2 conference games there is a 12-way tie for 2nd place at 1-1, as many have said before, this year looks to be brutal in the B1G.  Holding home court is a must this year, and attendance is the key to creating home court advantage.

Archived