Hutch. It's too early to give up on this IU team.

milehiiu

It's weird. I like these articles because people need reminders but at the same time writing these articles highlights the lunacy of our fans sometimes. 3 games into a new coaching regime and we have these articles? What will they write after we play Duke, Michigan, Iowa, Louisville, and Notre Dame five in a row and in 17 days? More than likely we'll get hammered in 3 of those and won't be favored in any.

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's weird. I like these articles because people need reminders but at the same time writing these articles highlights the lunacy of our fans sometimes. 3 games into a new coaching regime and we have these articles? What will they write after we play Duke, Michigan, Iowa, Louisville, and Notre Dame five in a row and in 17 days? More than likely we'll get hammered in 3 of those and won't be favored in any.

Before the season began, I thought we would win 3 of those games or at least 2, but now I'm thinking, 'Can we beat any of them?' It'd be safe to assume we'd drop all 5 games, then we'd be sitting at 4-7. Next 3 games are cake, so we'll probably be 7-7 to close the year 2017.

5 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Before the season began, I thought we would win 3 of those games or at least 2, but now I'm thinking, 'Can we beat any of them?' It'd be safe to assume we'd drop all 5 games, then we'd be sitting at 4-7. Next 3 games are cake, so we'll probably be 7-7 to close the year 2017.

If we drop all 5 of those games in a row, I don’t like our chances against IPFW at all.  And I can’t believe I just typed those words... Tough time to be a Hoosier fan.

The ranges of emotion some of y'all go through would be enough to give this old man a coronary.xD

It truly is nice to get to a stage in life where I can root for IU without IU basketball redefining who I am.  In my 20's, an IU loss would render me unfit to be around for a week.  I'm thankful that the years have worn away that level of sensitivity to IU basketball wins and losses.  It's likely saved my life several times in the last decade.

I love going through the old game threads and seeing how bad people are. There are already people on here saying Miller is not the right coach. Sometimes I wonder about IU fans.....Look at our roster, do you see a good team? I'm just honest we will probably lose the same amount as games we will win. This is a transition year, not much was left after Crean was fired since we lost 3 to the NBA/G league and had a bad year last year. Everything will be ok

Captain Eternal Optimism here. I think we see significant improvement and buy-in from at least one of the upperclassmen along with gradual improvement from the younger guys and we pull off an upset here and there. I'm not hoping for much against Duke, but the other four games mentioned above are all winnable contests IMO. During CAM's Thursday radio show, he seemed to focus on the players being in sync, without being too down against work ethic, learning a new system, etc. As long as the players are willing to remain coachable and work towards concrete goals, I don't see any reason why they won't be a drastically different team by mid-December and find that "sync" mode. Of course, I just came from a fun work Thanksgiving party, so this may be the gravy and tryptophan talking. 

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The ranges of emotion some of y'all go through would be enough to give this old man a coronary.xD

It truly is nice to get to a stage in life where I can root for IU without IU basketball redefining who I am.  In my 20's, an IU loss would render me unfit to be around for a week.  I'm thankful that the years have worn away that level of sensitivity to IU basketball wins and losses.  It's likely saved my life several times in the last decade.

I was totally the same way because I was horrible to be around after a loss.  The older I get I realize that there are more important things in life than an outcome of a game.  I still get upset during the game but after it is over I am over it.  I realize even if your teams win the championship it does not effect your life in anyway and it is the same if you lose.

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Good post.  That describes me as well.  I am not sure if I’m the same age as you, but I was a student in the back half of the 1980s.  

I would add that I spend minimal time on thinking about rivals.  I am amused by some of the hatred towards IU by opponents, but I don’t return serve.  There’s better use of time IMO.  

i'll continue to watch, love, and support IU bball no matter what.  i barely missed a game in the pritchard, jones, moore, and co. years.  that said, i don't think we're going to win many games this year.  i love some of your optimism, but why would we think we'd beat many of the teams on the schedule.

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good post.  That describes me as well.  I am not sure if I’m the same age as you, but I was a student in the back half of the 1980s.  

I would add that I spend minimal time on thinking about rivals.  I am amused by some of the hatred towards IU by opponents, but I don’t return serve.  There’s better use of time IMO.  

You know, Hoosiertildeath and I were just having a similar conversation about how he has mellowed over the years and how we laugh about our rivals obsession with IU.  :coffee:

18 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I so wish I could be like that! I’m 45 now and am still awful to be around after a loss! Unfortunately I just don’t see myself changing. I’m just glad basketball season is back. It’s going to be a roller coaster season, but I look forward to seeing the team progress through the year!

It's a fair question.  This team still has the same problems that have hurt it in the past -- TOs and defense.  Furthermore, we don't have the offense to make up for those two problems.  We do have a good shooting percentage.  You can see that there is potential for this team, but will they reach it and how long will it take.

14 minutes ago, slojoe said:

It's a fair question.  This team still has the same problems that have hurt it in the past -- TOs and defense.  Furthermore, we don't have the offense to make up for those two problems.  We do have a good shooting percentage.  You can see that there is potential for this team, but will they reach it and how long will it take.

I am extremely disappointed with the turnovers.  Style of play alone should result in those going down.  And, I assume there would have been a point of emphasis at the start of practice. I can't reconcile still having the number that we do.  I better understand that learning a new defense will take time.  Plus, while a good part of defense is effort, athleticism does lay a part in a team's ability to defend.  Turnovers, meanwhile, can almost always be attributed to the mental  side of the game.  Would have thought Archie would have made more inroads with that.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I am extremely disappointed with the turnovers.  Style of play alone should result in those going down.  And, I assume there would have been a point of emphasis at the start of practice. I can't reconcile still having the number that we do.  I better understand that learning a new defense will take time.  Plus, while a good part of defense is effort, athleticism does lay a part in a team's ability to defend.  Turnovers, meanwhile, can almost always be attributed to the mental  side of the game.  Would have thought Archie would have made more inroads with that.

Fouls, check out Archie’s interview previewing Sunday’s game. Very informative and the first 2/3’s he largely addresses the turnovers, offense and returning players having to be “de-programmed”. He’s definitely ticked off about the turnovers. 

I think the turnovers are largely a player thing and a Crean thing, it’s just taking longer to weed out than everyone hoped. Just like last year, many of the turnovers are just plain bonehead, unforced turnovers, which is so frustrating. Guys literally dribbling the ball away with no defense on them, throwing passes out of bounds with no pressure even on them, standing out of bounds to catch passes. They’re ridiculous turnovers. I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever seen a group of players so careless with the ball as I have watching IU the last year+. 

But, Archie will weed it out IMO and he’s clearly more frustrated with it than we are. Check out the interview though, it’s a good listen  

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/11/17/video-archie-miller-justin-smith-preview-south-florida/

16 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah graduated 1988. I still like making fun of Purdue and UK and am disgusted by the dirty programs I see unmasked (and sometimes not)  but I don't get the genuine ugliness that goes with it.  It's been a lot healthier for me since I put IU basketball in perspective.

Archived