Fred Glass to retire

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you guys that keep saying, "seems odd," know something, say something.   If not, this is a 60 year old man that has been making way more than the average man, giving 6 months notice.  If he was getting drunk and naughty in the office with staff then he'd be gone immediately and we could all go, ut oh like there has been a big cover up.  He's now technically been a state employee over ten years so he's locked into a pension to go along with whatever investments and retirement accounts he has set himself up with.  My goal is to retire around 60 give or take 2 years.  

But yeah, if you have a scoop, we'd all like to hear.  

Oh and his base is $563,805

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If you guys that keep saying, "seems odd," know something, say something.   If not, this is a 60 year old man that has been making way more than the average man, giving 6 months notice.  If he was getting drunk and naughty in the office with staff then he'd be gone immediately and we could all go, ut oh like there has been a big cover up.  He's now technically been a state employee over ten years so he's locked into a pension to go along with whatever investments and retirement accounts he has set himself up with.  My goal is to retire around 60 give or take 2 years.  

But yeah, if you have a scoop, we'd all like to hear.  

Oh and his base is $563,805

I said it seems odd because it seems odd. I don't know anything...but the timing does seem odd. Could just be best time to hit the road. 

Doesn't seem odd at all to me.  The two flagship programs have clear leadership for, at the very minimum, the next few years.  The ancillary programs (WBB, soccer, etc) are in very strong position, and the department as a whole is in strong financial position and has accomplished major infrastructure improvements in recent years.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I said it seems odd because it seems odd. I don't know anything...but the timing does seem odd. Could just be best time to hit the road. 

Lots of different ways to look at it I guess.  Unless something comes out negative, I'm saying good for him.  If he's been investing 10% to go along with whatever match he can get, he's got to be looking pretty good to go right now.  I'd have a hard time leaving this year knowing I could go to Maui next fall on the university jet and some to watch basketball for a week.  But if he's got 10 mil or so in investments with his connections, he'll probably be on the jet anyways just covering the rest of his expenses.  Either way, everything is set up pretty well right now.  Facilities,  coaches for the most part.  We like to say anyone could have done it with all that money, maybe,  probably, who knows.  Hopefully we get some fresh bright blood that takes iu into the new hemisphere with players gettimg marketed. 

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Lots of different ways to look at it I guess.  Unless something comes out negative, I'm saying good for him.  If he's been investing 10% to go along with whatever match he can get, he's got to be looking pretty good to go right now.  I'd have a hard time leaving this year knowing I could go to Maui next fall on the university jet and some to watch basketball for a week.  But if he's got 10 mil or so in investments with his connections, he'll probably be on the jet anyways just covering the rest of his expenses.  Either way, everything is set up pretty well right now.  Facilities,  coaches for the most part.  We like to say anyone could have done it with all that money, maybe,  probably, who knows.  Hopefully we get some fresh bright blood that takes iu into the new hemisphere with players gettimg marketed. 

Pat Kraft checks plenty of those boxes.

Has the experience of an athlete and experience and honestly youth to be the type of person IU needs to head us into these waters with players getting paid, marketed,etc...time will tell but first glance. His resume looks really, really good. Dolson will be another name being tossed around too. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Pat Kraft checks plenty of those boxes.

Has the experience of an athlete and experience and honestly youth to be the type of person IU needs to head us into these waters with players getting paid, marketed,etc...time will tell but first glance. His resume looks really, really good. Dolson will be another name being tossed around too. 

Ill trust you guys that dig deeper into this.  Other than that I'll just be a fan.  Complain when things don't go well, lol 

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Odd does not necessarily mean negative on his end. Could be health etc...

I used to teach a class called Career pathways and we had a unit on money management.  I would always repeat the phrase that "my goal is to retire rich, young,  and healthy."  Those 3 are all relative to your audience but we all have our own definition of what that looks like.  I don't get all the handwringing.  If he was gone at the new year then I would totally get it.  You don't give a 6 month notice if you have 6 months to live.  

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I used to teach a class called Career pathways and we had a unit on money management.  I would always repeat the phrase that "my goal is to retire rich, young,  and healthy."  Those 3 are all relative to your audience but we all have our own definition of what that looms like.  I don't get all the handwringing.  If he was gone at the new year than I would totally get it.  You don't give a 6 month notice if you have 6 months to live.  

Never said he was dying but maybe a health scare for him a family member who knows. I quit a job because of  Aydens health.  I know nothing about Glass decision I just feel timing is odd. My gut says word of new Pres. Might not be something he wants to go through 

I think it could be a number of factors but good for Glass. Let's get an IU guy in here that know's the importance of the basketball and football programs. Let's not allow either one to fall back into a dumpster fire again before action is taken to get it corrected. 

I don't find the timing odd. When he came in most of our programs were in disarray along with our facilities. He has done an excellent job updating the infrastructure of the University, getting the athletic department back in the black, and hiring good coaches while improving the student-athlete experience at IU. Maybe he just feels like it's a good time to pass the torch and let somebody else take it to the next level.

What is it you'd like Glass to do, though?  Fire Archie?  You'd be in a small minority in your thinking on that, to be sure.

At the end of the day, any manager will tell you that when trying to change the trajectory of an organization, you make a change, give it time to see if it works, and then readjust.  He made the change (hiring Archie/firing Crean) -- now he has to wait.  Anything else is flippant and reactionary.

I'm not sure what other tools in the arsenal people are seeing for Glass to impact the program.  He's done the small stuff (renovations/fundraising for renovations/etc) exceedingly well, by all accounts.  The jury is out on if he made the right hire, but I don't think you can say he hasn't used the tools in his toolbox.

Archived