Fred Glass to retire

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The only thing our fans care about is restoring the men's basketball program to prominence.  We've missed the dance 3 straight years.

Weak response because he over sees many sports which a lot are doing great.  Also he hired the top candidate out there for our basketball program when he was making the last hire.  He also has done a lot with the facilities while he has been here and actually got them up to date.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The only thing our fans care about is restoring the men's basketball program to prominence.  We've missed the dance 3 straight years.

2 straight.

Including Crean's last year is spinning stats to your agenda, since that failure has already been "punished" by Crean's firing. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

2 straight.

Including Crean's last year is spinning stats to your agenda, since that failure has already been "punished" by Crean's firing. 

Uh no.  He extended Crean and is the reason he wasn't fired a lot sooner.  Your response is honestly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Uh no.  He extended Crean and is the reason he wasn't fired a lot sooner.  Your response is honestly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Hypothetical situation.  We miss the tournament this year and Archie is fired.  Does the incoming coach bear the burden of "4 straight years of missing the tournament"? Should the administration treat his first season as if it was the 5th straight season under Crean, and having missed the tournament the previous four?

Failures of a previous coach may be relevant in the patience level of fans, but it can't be a factor in the mind of the administration.  Every different coach should be allowed a reasonable amount of time to build his program, past failures of the previous coach aside.  Archie doesn't bear the blame for Crean's last season when it comes to his performance levels. 

I think that if we are interpreting the timing we could say:

1) This is basically how anyone who is retiring from a significant position would do it, announce it well ahead of time...
2) Could fit in with any number of additional reasons like health or scandal, but maybe our minds defaulting to that says less about the situation and more about us? (still could be more to the story for sure)

I think that CAM could perhaps feel a couple different ways about it...Could think of it as a chance to take operations to the next level as recently there has been much said about how IU had been operating as decades behind (see the Brian Snow podcast with the Hoosier Hysterics)...on the other hand, the AD who has something vested in CAM's employment will be gone....

I for one hope that they recruit and hire well and get someone who is really good from an operations standpoint as Glass did really well with facilities...

Chris Reynolds would be a really great basketball specific AD, but the only schools he has been around (IU, Northwestern, Bradley) have less football history....

I have been a critic of Glass.  I personally found while fantastic at building facilities he was not good at managing personnel:

- Wilson was a disaster on so many levels, the things that guy did still upsets me to this day

- Allowing poor treatment of injured athletes on not just the football team, but crew as well

- Letting Crean and his teams get out of control. The whole DD hit by car thing and players out of control, I hold Glass responsible.

- The terrible handling of the Curt Miller and covering up why he really left IU

However on the flip can’t ignore the good as that’s not fair to him:

- Going with Allen to lead football when many thought it was a crazy move and honestly that has turned out to be a fantastic call

- Moren has been a beast for WBB.  Before he leaves he needs to make sure the new AD pays her substantially more but would be totally ok if they dropped money on her now

- Soccer, Diving, Swimming, Cross County are solid and consistently top rated

-Baseball hires have been great and the success has been maintained throw multiple hires

- I personally think he waited too long to make a move in softball and volleyball.  But man Softball killed it last year and Big Ten volleyball is hard to win but Aird seems to be solid

Finally, for me, the jury is still out on basketball.  The started solid last year and we saw how that turned out.  But there seems to be a better feel to this team and I am good with giving Archie another few years to get it done.  In the end Archies success will still, whether appropriate or not, equate to the view of Glass as an overall success.

I think I am viewing the Glass tenure as a solid foundation to build up infrastructure and get most of the sports in a reasonable place.  Now I would like to see someone with a great sports background come in and take things to the next level.

Overall when I view IU athletics I think there probably have been more positives with Glass at the helm than even I was giving him credit for.

11 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

- The terrible handling of the Curt Miller and covering up why he really left IU

- Soccer, Diving, Swimming, Cross County are solid and consistently top rated

What was the deal with Miller? He seemed to be doing a good job then something clearly happened. 

Agree on the 2nd point. Those programs all seem to be in great shape. I’d add that volleyball is in a good place. 

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was actually defending you from his response to your post

Appreciate the sentiment, but if you notice my reply, I didn't even bring it up. If that truly is one of the most ridiculous things he's ever heard, that's fine. That's a personal opinion that can only be based on someone's personal experience. No need to debate it, since I have no counter that can be based in mutually known facts.

Now, the rest of the topic is also opinion based, but those opinions are based on topics that can either be verified in facts, or are at least topics that are mutually known. And that's where I'll keep the conversation headed.

25 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I have been a critic of Glass.  I personally found while fantastic at building facilities he was not good at managing personnel:

- Wilson was a disaster on so many levels, the things that guy did still upsets me to this day

- Allowing poor treatment of injured athletes on not just the football team, but crew as well

- Letting Crean and his teams get out of control. The whole DD hit by car thing and players out of control, I hold Glass responsible.

However on the flip can’t ignore the good as that’s not fair to him:

Has he not protected public opinion through all these mishaps?  Besides us board junkies, no one even knows anything negative about Wilson.  

Same with Curt Miller, just disappeared and followed up by making great hires.  

The injured athletes thing was followed up by the most aggressive and conservative concussion protocol to the known sports world. Have to wonder how much of some of the public issues was also sour grapes.  Either way to athletes bill of rights followed and improvements were made and problems vanished in the public square again.  

Crean, got to hand it to you there.  The basketball program became a disaster and Crean was given too much time, grades fell, players getting in trouble.  

And I appreciate you outlining all the positives.  

12 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

What was the deal with Miller? He seemed to be doing a good job then something clearly happened.

Personal/health reasons.

There's always been rumors of misconduct that may or may not be tied to Curt's sexual orientation, but I've never seen anything substantiated. The biggest fact that counters that: Curt's first post-IU job was an assistant with the LA Sparks. The head coach of the Sparks at the time? Brian Agler. Brian's daughter Taylor played for Miller at IU. Now, if there really was misconduct on that level and you had actual firsthand accounts of information from that time, would you put that person on your staff?

All I have to say is.. since Fred Glass is done after this year I hope McRobbie leaves too. I’ve heard something about his contract ending and he’s going to be done. Which is music to my ears. No disrespect to anyone in here but as a student/conservative, I can’t stand how bias/liberal this University is. Especially the decisions that are being made at the top. This school brings in so much money every year, yet they still take half the profits that the athletic programs bring in annually and they don’t re invest all of it back into our athletic programs, and that’s where I have a problem. The top dogs in all of college sports fully re invest in their programs and that’s why they’re good year in and year out. We need someone like Mitch Daniels at Purdue as our president, someone who is willing to invest more in our athletic programs, which will result in more success in my opinion. Good reason why Purdue has been better than us in two of the major sports for awhile now. Dish out some real money for a real coach.. (basketball). 

29 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

All I have to say is.. since Fred Glass is done after this year I hope McRobbie leaves too. I’ve heard something about his contract ending and he’s going to be done. Which is music to my ears. No disrespect to anyone in here but as a student/conservative, I can’t stand how bias/liberal this University is. Especially the decisions that are being made at the top. This school brings in so much money every year, yet they still take half the profits that the athletic programs bring in annually and they don’t re invest all of it back into our athletic programs, and that’s where I have a problem. The top dogs in all of college sports fully re invest in their programs and that’s why they’re good year in and year out. We need someone like Mitch Daniels at Purdue as our president, someone who is willing to invest more in our athletic programs, which will result in more success in my opinion. Good reason why Purdue has been better than us in two of the major sports for awhile now. Dish out some real money for a real coach.. (basketball). 

giphy (13).gif

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Hypothetical situation.  We miss the tournament this year and Archie is fired.  Does the incoming coach bear the burden of "4 straight years of missing the tournament"? Should the administration treat his first season as if it was the 5th straight season under Crean, and having missed the tournament the previous four?

Failures of a previous coach may be relevant in the patience level of fans, but it can't be a factor in the mind of the administration.  Every different coach should be allowed a reasonable amount of time to build his program, past failures of the previous coach aside.  Archie doesn't bear the blame for Crean's last season when it comes to his performance levels. 

I wasn't blaming Archie.  I was blaming Fred.  He kept Crean when most wanted him fired long before.

And as for his replacement we need someone who is not a yes man and will stand up to far left nuts like McRobbie and Shoulders who are committed to keeping our basketball program down.

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wasn't blaming Archie.  I was blaming Fred.  He kept Crean when most wanted him fired long before.

And as for his replacement we need someone who is not a yes man and will stand up to far left nuts like McRobbie and Shoulders who are committed to keeping our basketball program down.

Now I can see your perspective.

The way I look at it, Crean's last year is dead and buried.  Whether early, late or right on time, Glass took action.  Reset button hit.  Only thing that I consider in-scope are the current coach's performance (which is a different topic). 

Archived