Fred Glass to retire

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Leave it to the Indiana University administration to not include a single person with ties to its flagship athletic program in the search committee for its new athletic director.  But at least we have the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicutural Affairs and a 22-year old women’s soccer player steering the ship.

McRobbie cannot be gone soon enough.  IMO, IU has had a series of clowns for presidents...no sense of business acumen that I can see at all.  My background is accounting and finance and much of what I have seen in running IU the last 20-maybe even 30 years is a lot of bloat, waste and mismanagement.  I know he's got a reputation of having the personality of a cactus, but IU could learn a lot about how Daniels has run Purdue since he's been on board.  I'm sure he's ruffled some establishment feathers in the process and in fact, I recall a significant portion of the academic faculty took a pretty dim view of his hiring.  Say what you want about him personally, but the man understands business.

The way they are running things from the top, it's just a matter of time until IU no longer offers an attractive and competitive product and enrollment suffers as a result.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

McRobbie cannot be gone soon enough.  IMO, IU has had a series of clowns for presidents...no sense of business acumen that I can see at all.  My background is accounting and finance and much of what I have seen in running IU the last 20-maybe even 30 years is a lot of bloat, waste and mismanagement.  I know he's got a reputation of having the personality of a cactus, but IU could learn a lot about how Daniels has run Purdue since he's been on board.  I'm sure he's ruffled some establishment feathers in the process and in fact, I recall a significant portion of the academic faculty took a pretty dim view of his hiring.  Say what you want about him personally, but the man understands business.

The way they are running things from the top, it's just a matter of time until IU no longer offers an attractive and competitive product and enrollment suffers as a result.

Bingo.  Without getting into details, I have had dealings with the university (not McRobbie directly, but people at mercy to his whims).  McRobbie embodies the cartoonish academic in his ivory tower.  He's big on finding a problem for his solutions.  He's notorious for moving chairs around on the deck, to great administrative burden. He lacks pragmatism to say the least.  He instills the hamster mode of churning aimlessly.

5 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Cindy Simon Skodjt on the committee though, and she freakin loves IU basketball. 

Trying to find a bright spot here.

Yes I agree but maybe there is no basketball guy on the committee to make it look better hiring a basketball guy for the AD. It a stretch 

23 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Yes I agree but maybe there is no basketball guy on the committee to make it look better hiring a basketball guy for the AD. It a stretch 

Honestly I would be surprised if the new AD isn't one of the 3 primary names that's being thrown around. 

30 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I took a look at the good, the bad, and the incomplete in the Fred Glass era.

I love, love ya man.  Maybe it was just a hick up.  Something I am very subject to on these wonderful boards.  But to leave out the rise of the great IU men's swim program ?  As well as women's ?  Programs filled with a great tradition.Good work being done there.  All done under Mr. Glass's watch.  And Doc and Hobie would be proud.

Oh yeah.  Mr. Glass had a lot of teas in his cup. 

I realize it is not BB. But a proud program with National Championships.

Back on the rise.....Indiana Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving Capture Big Ten Titles in Same Season for First Time in History - Indiana University Athletics

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Honestly I would be surprised if the new AD isn't one of the 3 primary names that's being thrown around. 

Me too, Reynolds and craft are interesting and would probably do well. Dolson being in the department might have a leg up considering how McRobbie feels about sports. I am sure the BOT and some big money people will influence this also which hopefully counteracts the Pres.

29 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

It's funny that folks think IUBB won't be a driving factor in the new AD, whether or not there is a "person" on the search committee representing it.  

I think it's more the optics of the situation vs reality.  Probably is nothing, but seems strange on the surface.

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I love, love ya man.  Maybe it was just a hick up.  Something I am very subject to on these wonderful boards.  But to leave out the rise of the great IU men's swim program ?  As well as women's ?  Programs filled with a great tradition.Good work being done there.  All done under Mr. Glass's watch.  And Doc and Hobie would be proud.

Oh yeah.  Mr. Glass had a lot of teas in his cup. 

I realize it is not BB. But a proud program with National Championships.

Back on the rise.....Indiana Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving Capture Big Ten Titles in Same Season for First Time in History - Indiana University Athletics

I mentioned them both in the "gold standard" section.  I just don't think you can really credit Glass for their rise.  Looze was there before Glass.  IU swimming and diving is an international brand that long pre-dated Glass of course as I can tell you know, although things have ticked back up since he has been there, which I noted.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I took a look at the good, the bad, and the incomplete in the Fred Glass era.

For the bad I would have included his forfeiting our NIT home game to Georgia Tech and passing on the CBA(or whatever its called) the other year.  

Glass should have been fired with Crean.

Good riddance Mr. Glass.

Go Hoosiers!!!

25 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I mentioned them both in the "gold standard" section.  I just don't think you can really credit Glass for their rise.  Looze was there before Glass.  IU swimming and diving is an international brand that long pre-dated Glass of course as I can tell you know, although things have ticked back up since he has been there, which I noted.

Agreed. As a former (as in very former, because I'm old now) swimmer that still follows the sport, I would give credit to Coach Looze for sure, but also include Indiana's stellar age group/high school swimming infrastructure. IUs most recognized/decorated swimmers from the past few years have come from all corners of the state: Lilly King (Evansville), Blake Pieroni (Chesterton - my old stomping grounds), and Ian Finnerty (Bloomington South). Looze has an amazing ability to pull in great talent both from in-state and around the globe, and develop his recruits into world-class competitors. Swim nerd rant, over and out. 

11 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

For the bad I would have included his forfeiting our NIT home game to Georgia Tech and passing on the CBA(or whatever its called) the other year.  

Good riddance Mr. Glass.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Nobody cares about the CBI and it is usually just for mid major programs,  Glass did a very good job here at IU and he is leaving the athletic department in way better shape than he got here.

50 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

My apologies.  One sentence that I overlooked.

Just want you to know . There is no greater fan of you, than me.

Mr. Glass did make improvements in the swimming facilities.  Such as modern touch pads, and scoreboard, that were long overdue.

Yep. I was on campus when Doc was making waves in the swimming world. Things did tick down after Doc. And things are on the uptick once again.

My son is/was a competitive swimmer.  One of his treasured books, is one written by Doc.

Doc Counsilman Documentary 

2 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Good riddance Mr. Glass.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I don't agree with the rest of what you said but giving up home court on the NIT game was probably one of Fred's poorer moves.  I understand why he did it (the real reason - sparing Crean and the team the embarrassment of quite possibly being booed out of the building), but it was still poor optics and his excuse sounded very made-up.

2 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Good riddance Mr. Glass.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Don't disagree with you on the NIT pass off. That too disturbed me. And perhaps he stayed with Coach Crean for to long. I also felt there came a time for Mr. Crean to go. On the flip side, I have no problem with a boss who gives his employee every chance he can.IMHO, the NIT fiasco  did not rise to a level of firing.  Check out TDH for all the good things Mr. Glass did for IU.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Don't disagree with you on the NIT pass off. That too disturbed me. And perhaps he stayed with Coach Crean for to long. I also felt there came a time for Mr. Crean to go. On the flip side, I have no problem with a boss who gives his employee every chance he can.IMHO, the NIT fiasco  did not rise to a level of firing.  Check out TDH for all the good things Mr. Glass did for IU.

Oh I read it.  I think Glass gets way too much credit.  Not saying he didn't do some good things but a lot of things would have happened regardless of who the AD was.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

It's funny you brought him up. I wanted him before we hired Greenspan. People can say whatever they want but the guy knows how to be a great (not good) AD.

Yeah..hard to say he isn't black balled to some degree but my gosh every single mens and womens programs at UL flourished under him and the money was just pouring in. Maybe he learned from his mistakes?

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah..hard to say he isn't black balled to some degree but my gosh every single mens and womens programs at UL flourished under him and the money was just pouring in. Maybe he learned from his mistakes?

He ran the whole city of Louisville...many people believe he is the reason the pelicans and Grizzlies didn't end up in Louisville 

Archived