Fred Glass to retire

7 hours ago, JcityHoosier said:

He ran the whole city of Louisville...many people believe he is the reason the pelicans and Grizzlies didn't end up in Louisville 

Yeah I don't know the details of all that just know the Universities athletics flourished. If he kept the professional teams away to keep competition for UL's advertising dollars etc then he was definitely a power player in the state. I'd love to have a guy fighting for our programs like that.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I don't know the details of all that just know the Universities athletics flourished. If he kept the professional teams away to keep competition for UL's advertising dollars etc then he was definitely a power player in the state. I'd love to have a guy fighting for our programs like that.

I'd love Jurich but there is absolutely no way in hell McRobbie or Shoulders would ever let that happen.  It will be a yes man who knows his place.

I'd like to see a younger guy with creativity and enthusiasm in addition to intellectual horsepower and integrity.  

There are sea changes coming such as the marketing component.  We need to lead on this and function in the world we live in, not the world we wish we were in.  Big difference.  Marketing opportunities should be aplenty, state-wide, particularly for basketball.  

I can't imagine that that Scott Dolson aspires to be the AD.  If that were his goal, he would have dedicated himself to improving his resume, particularly with regard to his schooling.  He simply doesn't have the credentials in today's competitive environment.

Based on resume and credentials, Chris Reynolds looks like he'd be a massive upgrade, although admittedly I haven't spoken to him to know his views.

We need much more pragmatism and acumen across the board in all aspects of the administration, from the Board, to McRobbie to the AD's office.  Disruptors who shake up the outdated, bloated, bureaucratic mindset that infects the university like the plague.  

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'd like to see a younger guy with creativity and enthusiasm in addition to intellectual horsepower and integrity.  

There are sea changes coming such as the marketing component.  We need to lead on this and function in the world we live in, not the world we wish we were in.  Big difference.  Marketing opportunities should be aplenty, state-wide, particularly for basketball.  

I can't imagine that that Scott Dolson aspires to be the AD.  If that were his goal, he would have dedicated himself to improving his resume, particularly with regard to his schooling.  He simply doesn't have the credentials in today's competitive environment.

Based on resume and credentials, Chris Reynolds looks like he'd be a massive upgrade, although admittedly I haven't spoken to him to know his views.

We need much more pragmatism and acumen across the board in all aspects of the administration, from the Board, to McRobbie to the AD's office.  Disruptors who shake up the outdated, bloated, bureaucratic mindset that infects the university like the plague.  

This is the key imo. One that will be proactive in advocating for the student athlete in conforming with the changing landscape of the NCAA. These new likeness and agents and will work to help the student athlete EARN and promote them across the state....we need to leverage IU athletics for them and then to benefit us in recruiting the best will go a long way and should allow our programs to compete for the best of the best...no more Keion Brooks, Trey Lyles, Kris Wilkes etc etc going out of state...their best chance to earn and be recognized will be with in state companies and promotions. We have to jump at this!

On 12/16/2019 at 11:35 AM, IU Scott said:

I never understood your and the others on rivals hatred for Glass since he has done a very good job at IU

You're a good and enjoyable poster who I enjoy.  But this is a completely absurd and unsupported statement.  You could run a slapstick montage of all of his bloopers and it would be long.  It's actually hard to believe how eccentric many of them were.  There's a crazy long list of incompetent decisions he made, but the worst was the terrible and out of touch culture with injuries--across a variety of sports--as outlined in the ESPN investigation.  He knew about Wilson's abusive behavior and literally extended him.  Then, fired him when Wilson continued (allegedly) the behavior.  But, the firing wasn't based on new behavior but an extension of what Glass already knew.  He put IU into a terrible position vis a vis legal exposure, and, sadly, this is a guy who went to law school. 

Beyond his bizarre missteps, he took a basketball program that was in a ten year funk (but got to a championship game) and extended the funk to 20 years.  At the point he was hired, we could have righted the ship and considered the the ten years to be an adjustment period that was an aberration.  But, now we are sitting at 20 years and counting.  You don't see an aberration, you see where we are.  Glass presided over all that.  

He did convert B1G money that was handed to him, and he built facilities.  You or I could have done that in our spare time.  He wants credit for the fencing, bowling, archery, hopscotch, and domino programs, and that's fine, but basketball is the flagship sport here.  He had a rough ten years and has made the situation much more distant and worse than when he inherited it.

Certainly he is not entirely to blame.  The administration is a train wreck and an even bigger problem.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

never want that guy near IU athletics

You think he knew anything about the scandals or just he didn't act appropriately with Pitino? As we saw with Knight it isn't easy removing a legendary coach or keeping them in line. I'd say his results with the performance of the individual programs speak for themselves while he was there. Football, Basketball, Baseball, WBasketball had their best results in decades under him.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You think he knew anything about the scandals or just he didn't act appropriately with Pitino? As we saw with Knight it isn't easy removing a legendary coach or keeping them in line. I'd say his results with the performance of the individual programs speak for themselves while he was there. Football, Basketball, Baseball, WBasketball had their best results in decades under him.

He knew what was going on but it is all about winning at any cost

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You're a good and enjoyable poster who I enjoy.  But this is a completely absurd and unsupported statement.  You could run a slapstick montage of all of his bloopers and it would be long.  It's actually hard to believe how eccentric many of them were.  There's a crazy long list of incompetent decisions he made, but the worst was the terrible and out of touch culture with injuries--across a variety of sports--as outlined in the ESPN investigation.  He knew about Wilson's abusive behavior and literally extended him.  Then, fired him when Wilson continued (allegedly) the behavior.  But, the firing wasn't based on new behavior but an extension of what Glass already knew.  He put IU into a terrible position vis a vis legal exposure, and, sadly, this is a guy who went to law school. 

Beyond his bizarre missteps, he took a basketball program that was in a ten year funk (but got to a championship game) and extended the funk to 20 years.  At the point he was hired, we could have righted the ship and considered the the ten years to be an adjustment period that was an aberration.  But, now we are sitting at 20 years and counting.  You don't see an aberration, you see where we are.  Glass presided over all that.  

He did convert B1G money that was handed to him, and he built facilities.  You or I could have done that in our spare time.  He wants credit for the fencing, bowling, archery, hopscotch, and domino programs, and that's fine, but basketball is the flagship sport here.  He had a rough ten years and has made the situation much more distant and worse than when he inherited it.

Certainly he is not entirely to blame.  The administration is a train wreck and an even bigger problem.

angif-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.gif

36 minutes ago, coachv said:

no way. i love that he made it difficult to fire allen and locked him up. you don't like the job allen is doing?

I don't often agree with you.  I just remain quiet.  However, this is one time for me to speak out, and say I DO agree with you.  We're going bowling ! And just as important. Recruiting is on the uptick under Allen.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

But did we beat anyone good?

Well. Let me put it this way.  IU did what they needed to do to make a bowl game.  One step at a time.  Great  step by Allen, IMHO.

Oh. One more thing.  The Bucket is back in Bloomington. Where it belongs.

On 12/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, iuthruandthru said:

I have been a critic of Glass.  I personally found while fantastic at building facilities he was not good at managing personnel:

- Wilson was a disaster on so many levels, the things that guy did still upsets me to this day

- Allowing poor treatment of injured athletes on not just the football team, but crew as well

- Letting Crean and his teams get out of control. The whole DD hit by car thing and players out of control, I hold Glass responsible.

- The terrible handling of the Curt Miller and covering up why he really left IU

However on the flip can’t ignore the good as that’s not fair to him:

- Going with Allen to lead football when many thought it was a crazy move and honestly that has turned out to be a fantastic call

- Moren has been a beast for WBB.  Before he leaves he needs to make sure the new AD pays her substantially more but would be totally ok if they dropped money on her now

- Soccer, Diving, Swimming, Cross County are solid and consistently top rated

-Baseball hires have been great and the success has been maintained throw multiple hires

- I personally think he waited too long to make a move in softball and volleyball.  But man Softball killed it last year and Big Ten volleyball is hard to win but Aird seems to be solid

Finally, for me, the jury is still out on basketball.  The started solid last year and we saw how that turned out.  But there seems to be a better feel to this team and I am good with giving Archie another few years to get it done.  In the end Archies success will still, whether appropriate or not, equate to the view of Glass as an overall success.

I think I am viewing the Glass tenure as a solid foundation to build up infrastructure and get most of the sports in a reasonable place.  Now I would like to see someone with a great sports background come in and take things to the next level.

Overall when I view IU athletics I think there probably have been more positives with Glass at the helm than even I was giving him credit for.

devin davis was not hit by a car

On 12/18/2019 at 1:59 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

It's funny that folks think IUBB won't be a driving factor in the new AD, whether or not there is a "person" on the search committee representing it.  

in what way do you think basketball will be a driving factor?

On 12/18/2019 at 2:13 PM, milehiiu said:

I love, love ya man.  Maybe it was just a hick up.  Something I am very subject to on these wonderful boards.  But to leave out the rise of the great IU men's swim program ?  As well as women's ?  Programs filled with a great tradition.Good work being done there.  All done under Mr. Glass's watch.  And Doc and Hobie would be proud.

Oh yeah.  Mr. Glass had a lot of teas in his cup. 

I realize it is not BB. But a proud program with National Championships.

Back on the rise.....Indiana Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving Capture Big Ten Titles in Same Season for First Time in History - Indiana University Athletics

there is definitely a hick up

On 12/18/2019 at 3:06 PM, Indy1987 said:

For the bad I would have included his forfeiting our NIT home game to Georgia Tech and passing on the CBA(or whatever its called) the other year.  

Glass should have been fired with Crean.

Good riddance Mr. Glass.

Go Hoosiers!!!

wow. i'm glad glass passed on a third tier basketball tourney. glass has been an excellent a.d. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I don't often agree with you.  I just remain quiet.  However, this is one time for me to speak out, and say I DO agree with you.  We're going bowling ! And just as important. Recruiting is on the uptick under Allen.

i have you on ignore

39 minutes ago, coachv said:

i have you on ignore

Been doing this for over a decade now.  Never have I put anyone on ignore.  That is a weak way to go.  However. Not sure why my comment caused you to put me on ignore. After all. I was agreeing with YOU.

Now.... that I am on ignore.  Great. Now I will be able to express myself, with all of YOUR negativity.  I will say this.  For others to see.  YOU have been very disruptive to this board.  Why YOU have not been banned is beyond my understanding.  And quite frankly YOU have broken our rules numerous times since coming  to this board. 

YOU are very disruptive.  And I know others feel the same way as I do. 

Yeah. I held back.  Till now.  Wish YOU were gone from this board.

On 12/27/2019 at 9:14 PM, milehiiu said:

Been doing this for over a decade now.  Never have I put anyone on ignore.  That is a weak way to go.  However. Not sure why my comment caused you to put me on ignore. After all. I was agreeing with YOU.

Now.... that I am on ignore.  Great. Now I will be able to express myself, with all of YOUR negativity.  I will say this.  For others to see.  YOU have been very disruptive to this board.  Why YOU have not been banned is beyond my understanding.  And quite frankly YOU have broken our rules numerous times since coming  to this board. 

YOU are very disruptive.  And I know others feel the same way as I do. 

Yeah. I held back.  Till now.  Wish YOU were gone from this board.

i put you on ignore a while back for baseless personal attacks and poor grammar. show me one negative comment i have made or one rule broken. i'll wait

Archived