Fred Glass to retire

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Curious,

How much difference does at AD make if the higher ups do not see the merit of putting resources into athletics? Even if we get a top notch guy, are they not limited by higher powers?

I am far from an expert here, I am honestly asking to understand.

Depends how much backbone they have.  Are they willing to hold their ground?  Are they willing to put their job on the line by going public and letting the entire state know that it's McRobbie and Shoulders who keep handicapping the program?

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Depends how much backbone they have.  Are they willing to hold their ground?  Are they willing to put their job on the line by going public and letting the entire state know that it's McRobbie and Shoulders who keep handicapping the program?

I doubt we get our guy, if thats what they have to do. Nobody is gonna take a job, knowing full well their hands are tied from the start. Personally, I  don't see how this gets better until Mcrobbie is gone.

3 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I doubt we get our guy, if thats what they have to do. Nobody is gonna take a job, knowing full well their hands are tied from the start. Personally, I  don't see how this gets better until Mcrobbie is gone.

I hope we get someone like Mitch Daniels.  I'm not sure if she even wants the job but I can tell you from my time at Mauer that we'd better pray Robel isn't the choice or we're totally FUBAR.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Law degree and a PhD, both from IU. 

https://bradleybraves.com/staff-directory/chris-reynolds/203

Just read his resume and it's hard to dream up a more tailor made AD for Indiana. 

I'm sure intellectually he has what it takes.  My only question would be his personality.  We need a Bob Knight/Mike Ditka type or I assure you it won't matter how smart he is.

16 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Curious,

How much difference does at AD make if the higher ups do not see the merit of putting resources into athletics? Even if we get a top notch guy, are they not limited by higher powers?

I am far from an expert here, I am honestly asking to understand.  

It is not different from any large corporation and I’m sure many of you guys have reported to Fortune 500 Boards in your work capacities.  For those unfamiliar with the process, in general, you have heads of groups or counsel giving reports to the Board periodically or as neeeded.  The speakers sometimes update and inform but other times exhort the board to do certain things based on certain needs that they inform the board upon.  The board may not be experts in safety, but the head of the safety group may say “we need to equip all of our plants with XYZ lest we have a fatality that will cause X amount of exposure.”  You go down the line where the general counsel asks for ABC because outside counsel recommended something, etc.  

The Board listens and makes decisions.  You can send them reports in advance of the meeting.  There’s a skill in that too.  You can provide data as to why what you’re suggesting is beneficial.  Its not as if the Board has divine powers to just know everything.  They make decisions based on the quality of the information given to them.  They will ask questions like “can this be put off” or question if “something is really needed.”  That’s all healthy in the process. You want them asking questions.  

In the case of the AD, you can see it is incumbent on the AD to target the right goals and be persuasive with the Board so he or she is given the leeway to execute.  

I would look strongly at a dynamic guy with this ability to maneuver and get things done.  But that guy has to focus on the right things and then advocate well for the proposals.  It’s not an excuse to say you tried and were denied   That’s weak and pathetic.  It’s your job to make the case and if it fails, well, you obviously didn’t make the case.  

As a postscript, I don’t think our AD has been the only problem with his ineffectiveness and blunders.  We have a Board that lacks strategic insight and big picture experience.  Others are lifers and have grown stale.  Some continuity is beneficial but they ought to look at term limits.  We have too many resumes based on figureheads or fundraising which is frankly busy work.  We need big visionaries, and if you look at the resumes of the Board we have now, it is lacking.   

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm sure intellectually he has what it takes.  My only question would be his personality.  We need a Bob Knight/Mike Ditka type or I assure you it won't matter how smart he is.

In all seriousness, why would anyone WANT to work with a Bob Knight or Mike Ditka?  I like them both but wouldn't want to be around either one for extended periods of time, also knowing that they will eventually embarrass the university.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:53 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Hearing a lot of love for Dolson

Means nothing but apparently he as a lot of support within the University 

I hope not.  An uninspiring internal hire who will perpetuate the management style that's already there and needs to be replaced in the worst way.  I was OK with Glass and think he did a fine job, considering the upper management team he dealt with, but I hate the inefficient, bloated, unimaginative way IU is ran in general.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 12:54 PM, dbmhoosier said:

I hope we get someone like Mitch Daniels.  I'm not sure if she even wants the job but I can tell you from my time at Mauer that we'd better pray Robel isn't the choice or we're totally FUBAR.

If it somehow ends up being Robel, it's WAY WORSE than FUBAR. 

On 12/31/2019 at 4:23 PM, Muddy River said:

In all seriousness, why would anyone WANT to work with a Bob Knight or Mike Ditka?  I like them both but wouldn't want to be around either one for extended periods of time, also knowing that they will eventually embarrass the university.

Because it's not been embarrassing since Knight left? It's clown world right now.

34 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

They will promote from within.  I’d almost guarantee it.  And I know Robel from my Mauer days.  A total kook.

I'm no Robel fan, but she's all about prestige and raising money to get it. The basketball program should be able to sell her on the idea that they can bring both. Final 4 teams see a huge boost in applications, the money and national exposure is obvious. 

On 12/31/2019 at 5:56 AM, dbmhoosier said:

What is the history with Shoulders?  I just don't know.  I saw he introduced Archie in Evansville and mentione the important recruit there.

9 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

What is the history with Shoulders?  I just don't know.  I saw he introduced Archie in Evansville and mentione the important recruit there.

He’s made it his life mission to ensure that no elite coach ever roams the sidelines at IU ever again.  Trust me on this.  He wants a beta coach who wins enough to not be fired but is never elite under any circumstances.  There are some good posts on him over on Btownbanners.  He’s probably a bigger obstacle than McRobbie or Glass ever were.

http://btownbanners.com/topic/12259-fred-glass-retiring/?page=19

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

He’s made it his life mission to ensure that no elite coach ever roams the sidelines at IU ever again.  Trust me on this.  He wants a beta coach who wins enough to not be fired but is never elite under any circumstances.  There are some good posts on him over on Btownbanners.

You just seem to have an unhealthy hatred for this guy and Glass

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He’s made it his life mission to ensure that no elite coach ever roams the sidelines at IU ever again.  Trust me on this.  He wants a beta coach who wins enough to not be fired but is never elite under any circumstances.  There are some good posts on him over on Btownbanners.  He’s probably a bigger obstacle than McRobbie or Glass ever were.

What is his reasoning?  Is there history?  He seems like a basketball fan - just from past quotes and the coaches tour.

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Sounds like some old bitter RMK fans who can't get over that he is no longer is the coach.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like some old bitter RMK fans who can't get over that he is no longer is the coach.

Strong disagree. I have some familiarity, albeit limited, with Shoulders having lived in Evansville for a very long time and been in some of the same circles. @dbmhoosier is spot on. Being a born and raised Evansvillian I wouldn’t trust a single person involved in making that city into anything for the past 60 years. Shoulders probably shouldn’t have anything to do with IU basketball. RMK has nothing to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived