Fred Glass to retire

27 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

The same could be said of Archie....not much improvement, if any at all, over the Crean years.  Same offensive woes, lack of shooters on the roster, spotty to poor defense, head scratching substitution patterns, lack of effort, etc.  only definitive improvements have been less sideline pacing and far less incessant clapping

Yeah, most of that is a big exaggeration, but whatever. There are not the same offensive woes, IU is much, much better in the halfcourt, much, much better against zones. We do still lack shooters, but part of that is Archie cleaning up from Crean's recruiting misses his last couple years. The defense, as a program, is much, much improved. The substitutions are not head scratching whatsoever. 

Facilities have improved (players lounge, new locker rooms) and in-state recruiting has surged. I believe it was the mid-90's the last time IU signed back-to-back Indiana Mr. Basketball's, and it could have a 3rd in a row. 

Is the product on the court exactly where we'd like it to be yet? No. But, we're also 10-1, so how this season unfolds remains to be seen. 

But with all of that said, your comment was that Dan Dakich was the "expert" we should be listening too, and yet the guy he wanted is the least successful and accomplished coach out the three between Crean, Miller and Alford. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

Your objection is duly noted.  He said ‘all of the experts’. I simply named one that didn’t think Archie was the best choice. Also, If this is a blue blood program like many think it is, then yes, anyone should be available for the right price and money shouldn’t be an issue to keep said program from getting their coach.  I think Archie was a good candidate but most likely not the best we could get....Archie’s results to date have certainly not pointed to a home run hire.  

The definitive expert of all experts, RMK, says he can coach...

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

About as high praise as Coach Knight is going to offer...

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The definitive expert of all experts, RMK, says he can coach...

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

About as high praise as Coach Knight is going to offer...

And keep in mind, RMK hasnt offered much commentary on individual coaches, good or bad. And God knows, if Bob Knight said it, he 100% meant it.

7 hours ago, madmax said:

In about two seconds I found this:

It’s an awesome hire,” said ESPN college basketball and recruiting expert Jeff Borzello. “Archie has been one of the hottest names in coaching for several years now, with his name attached to a variety of openings. But he wanted an elite-level job, and that’s what Indiana is.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/03/25/report-archie-miller-new-iu-coach/99618342/

To be fair they also said Tom Crean was a brilliant hire.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

To be fair they also said Tom Crean was a brilliant hire.

Crean loved the media attention, he loved the spotlight.  He is friends with the media.  Unfortunately, he upset high school coaches who didn't beleive a word he was saying.  As Bo Ryan said sarcastically, They should rename the game Tom Crean Ball.....or something like that.  

Archie does not appear to give the time of day to the media to get biased attention.

10 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

Who are “all the experts” you refer to?  I consider Dan Dakich as much  of an expert as anyone else and he thought Archie was a mediocre hire....’just another guy’ is how he put it.  Archie’s performance  his first 3 years compared to those of Holtman, Mack and others that were possibly available has proven him spot on.  Saying Archie was the top candidate available is comical....this is supposedly a blue blood program so for the right money, anyone should have been available.

We were not going to get guys from an established power 5 conference team like Wright or Bennett so most experts on the national level had Archie as the top candidate.  I told everyone when they wanted to fire Crean that we were going to have to hire an up and coming coach from a mid major.  I saw people who thought we would actually be able to land someone from a top program and get them to leave there established job to come here but told them that would never happen.

9 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

The same could be said of Archie....not much improvement, if any at all, over the Crean years.  Same offensive woes, lack of shooters on the roster, spotty to poor defense, head scratching substitution patterns, lack of effort, etc.  only definitive improvements have been less sideline pacing and far less incessant clapping

RMK said he thought it was a great hire and hoped the fans would be patient with him but I guess our fans hasn't listened.

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think Archie shares RMK's opinion of the media, which tends to float somewhere between grudgingly tolerant to outright disdain.

Yes; however, I do think Knight used the media to create distractions from his team (not saying the negative stuff latter) and to motivate his team.  It was part of his strategy.  Knight also loved to tell stories and have fun with shows like the golf one, and the time he brought a donkey on site.  

Miller just wants to coach basketball and it is apparent the rest he has no desire.  I do think that the head coach also needs to be a PR person and I wish Archie would work and develop this side of the job.  

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Yes; however, I do think Knight used the media to create distractions from his team (not saying the negative stuff latter) and to motivate his team.  It was part of his strategy.  Knight also loved to tell stories and have fun with shows like the golf one, and the time he brought a donkey on site.  

Miller just wants to coach basketball and it is apparent the rest he has no desire.  I do think that the head coach also needs to be a PR person and I wish Archie would work and develop this side of the job.  

I wonder how much of this is perception vs. reality with Miller? I’m not saying he loves doing media, but other than the “load management” thing, I’ve never really seen him be rude or hostile towards the media. He does well in the halftime/postgame on-court interviews, he takes responsibility when the team loses/doesn’t play well, etc. 

He’s not going to go on some long winded soliloquy like Crean does with the media, and he’s definitely more on the short side with answers, but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. 

I guess what I’m saying is, I don’t think he has a bad relationship with the media. I’m not sure what the local guys think, but I think the National guys like Katz, Goodman, Rothstein, etc., all like him. 

I’d be interested in @The Daily Hoosier thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think Archie shares RMK's opinion of the media, which tends to float somewhere between grudgingly tolerant to outright disdain.

And I think the "grudgingly tolerant" was reserved exclusively for Bob Hammel and Chuck Marlowe...

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Crean loved the media attention, he loved the spotlight.  

So true. That's why I don't think he would stay at UGA for a long time unless he's not doing so well enough to gain attention from upper echelon basketball schools. At UGA where football is #1 and people don't really care about anything else, he can't get the spotlight at all no matter how well he does. I was amazed UGA football drew 80K crowd in a spring scrimmage right after Crean was hired. And of course, there was Crean, took the mic in the middle of the football field advertised UGA basketball. Crean is a natural born PR person.

I really believe he would make a GREAT living as a motivational speaker selling some sort of success principles. 

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I wonder how much of this is perception vs. reality with Miller? I’m not saying he loves doing media, but other than the “load management” thing, I’ve never really seen him be rude or hostile towards the media. He does well in the halftime/postgame on-court interviews, he takes responsibility when the team loses/doesn’t play well, etc. 

He’s not going to go on some long winded soliloquy like Crean does with the media, and he’s definitely more on the short side with answers, but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. 

I guess what I’m saying is, I don’t think he has a bad relationship with the media. I’m not sure what the local guys think, but I think the National guys like Katz, Goodman, Rothstein, etc., all like him. 

I’d be interested in @The Daily Hoosier thoughts on this?

Miller just doesn't have the kind of personality where he loves to be the center of attention and engage an audience, in my opinion.  I can relate to that, I'm the same way.  I don't think that in any way matters when it comes to his abilities as a coach.  He does what he has to do, but I don't expect his comfort or enjoyment of it to change.  The setting seems to matter.  When it is less formal he does better.   At the Big Ten media day in Chicago we were all sitting at a table and it felt more like just a conversation and he seemed more relaxed.  But it is all a necessary evil.  He just wants to coach.

I think he puts an honest, good faith effort into answering the questions, and it seems pretty clear that if you ask an at least semi-enlightened basketball question, he likes to engage in that discussion.

I've heard that he has been frustrated by the amount of media availabilities that came with the job, and mainly because it ends up being a monotonous, a lot of the same questions, and sometimes dumb questions.  There are some on the IU beat that think the story is about them rather than IU basketball.

I think it is all much ado about nothing.  Look at Belichick with the media.  The Knight stuff like the whip or the donkey are more just him entertaining himself than any kind of genius media management that some have made it out to be, in my opinion.  That's just the benefit of the doubt that you get when you win.

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You keep saying that, but, beside the fact that he played basketball at IU, what's driving your opinion?

Not being wise-assed, just curious...

He is  an experienced AD and administrator and he just has a great vision on what he wants an athletic department to look like

Archived