Fred Glass to retire

27 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

So true. That's why I don't think he would stay at UGA for a long time unless he's not doing so well enough to gain attention from upper echelon basketball schools. At UGA where football is #1 and people don't really care about anything else, he can't get the spotlight at all no matter how well he does. I was amazed UGA football drew 80K crowd in a spring scrimmage right after Crean was hired. And of course, there was Crean, took the mic in the middle of the football field advertised UGA basketball. Crean is a natural born PR person.

I really believe he would make a GREAT living as a motivational speaker selling some sort of success principles. 

I've said before, Tom Crean would make a hell of an AD.  He can schmooze with the best of them and deliver a decent speech, so he'd be a natural at fundraising.  He knows athletics pretty well from a high level.  And overall, I'd say most would call him ethical and relatively intelligent. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I'm glad you posted that.  I knew Reynolds had done pretty well for himself in administration, but wow.....hell of a resume.  Bachelors, Masters and PhD from IU.  Served in various Associate/Senior Associate/Deputy AD roles at (among others) Northwestern, Indiana, Notre Dame and Michigan State.  He oversaw the renovation/construction of NW's new athletic complex, and his record at Bradley is pretty impressive.

And, it's always nice to bring one of our own back home. 

11 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

Your objection is duly noted.  He said ‘all of the experts’. I simply named one that didn’t think Archie was the best choice. Also, If this is a blue blood program like many think it is, then yes, anyone should be available for the right price and money shouldn’t be an issue to keep said program from getting their coach.  I think Archie was a good candidate but most likely not the best we could get....Archie’s results to date have certainly not pointed to a home run hire.  

I couldn't read this without responding.  The whole idea of "anyone should be available for the right price" is, IMO,  ridiculous.  Firstly, the current "top-5" coaches (Williams, Krysjkdji, Izzo, Cal, Self) aren't going to be available for any college coaching opening (remote possibility if it's to replace one of the others on the list).  UK was desperate to land Donovan and they couldn't (twice).  Once you get beyond these few "elite" coaches, there are no guaranteed slam-dunk hires.  Brad Stevens left college ball for a reason and until he proves otherwise isn't coming back.

The pool of available coaches is then, to one extent or another, a roll of the dice.  In our case, I think the objectives were to find a young coach that had shown success, hadn't had any recruiting or program "issues", and could potentially be around for 15 years or more.  CAM checked all those boxes.  Other candidates may have been higher on some list, but may not have been interested for a   plethora of reasons (Bennett because of what happened to his sister, for example).  Some coaches may not want to take over a program with the pressure and expectations here (Mark Few seems to fit in that category).

Coaches are hired and end up being brilliant choices, but that is never a given, and often take several seasons to be determined.  In the case of Archie, the jury is still out.  Much of what he's done has been an improvement over the past couple of decades (emphasis on defense, prioritizing Indiana players, no behavior problems with players).  At the same time, the results have not been up to expectations. 

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Dakich is a self-absorbed, self-promoting idiot and as far from an “expert” on who IU needs as possible. 

You left out cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, hopeless, heartless, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped and worm-headed. 

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm glad you posted that.  I knew Reynolds had done pretty well for himself in administration, but wow.....hell of a resume.  Bachelors, Masters and PhD from IU.  Served in various Associate/Senior Associate/Deputy AD roles at (among others) Northwestern, Indiana, Notre Dame and Michigan State.  He oversaw the renovation/construction of NW's new athletic complex, and his record at Bradley is pretty impressive.

And, it's always nice to bring one of our own back home. 

I am too...I think between Chris and Pat Kraft we can't lose...

Don't know much about Scott Dolson, but here's his resume.

Never been the head guy, and no advanced degree though...

36 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I've said before, Tom Crean would make a hell of an AD.  He can schmooze with the best of them and deliver a decent speech, so he'd be a natural at fundraising.  He knows athletics pretty well from a high level.  And overall, I'd say most would call him ethical and relatively intelligent. 

Indeed. He's pretty well suited for an AD unless he acts he's smarter than the basketball coach he's hired and tries to teach him some high octane offense 

14 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Indeed. He's pretty well suited for an AD unless he acts he's smarter than the basketball coach he's hired and tries to teach him some high octane offense 

"Uh-huh...yep....ok.....wow, never thought of that......thanks for the advice Boss!"
*under breath* Will someone switch that guy to decaf?

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I wonder how much of this is perception vs. reality with Miller? I’m not saying he loves doing media, but other than the “load management” thing, I’ve never really seen him be rude or hostile towards the media. He does well in the halftime/postgame on-court interviews, he takes responsibility when the team loses/doesn’t play well, etc. 

He’s not going to go on some long winded soliloquy like Crean does with the media, and he’s definitely more on the short side with answers, but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. 

I guess what I’m saying is, I don’t think he has a bad relationship with the media. I’m not sure what the local guys think, but I think the National guys like Katz, Goodman, Rothstein, etc., all like him. 

I’d be interested in @The Daily Hoosier thoughts on this?

He does what he needs to with respect and is never hostile.  How many extra radio gigs does he do?  He is short with his comments, although nice to the point.  Would not say that he has carisma during any interview.  It has been mentioned many times by insiders over on peegs that it is not his personality to be in the limelight.  Think about it, he doesnt even work the crowd at senior night or midnight madness.  Its just not his personality.  That dosen't mean he cant coach.

I bet he is a good relationship, just not a Crean marketing type of relationship where he will have one lead midnight madness or go on a twitter rant defending him.

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

You left out cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, hopeless, heartless, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped and worm-headed. 

Sorry but you left off my favorite name for him. Dipsh!! Dan! Actually I think you are being too nice!

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Every time I hear him speak though I shake my head and think "huh?". I'm never quite certain what he has said.

32 minutes ago, RJPaisley said:

Every time I hear him speak though I shake my head and think "huh?". I'm never quite certain what he has said.

Proof that he's perfect for an administrative/semi-political position.  He can provide an extensive answer to any question, yet never really say anything and nobody cares because after 4-5 minutes, you're just ready for him to shut up. 

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's.....interesting.  I can see that for the sake of balance, they wouldn't have 80% of the committee have ties to MBB, but you'd think they'd have one.....

That said I would think the board of trustees will have a say in this as well and that does feature Quinn. I find it interesting though that the largest brand at the school was left out of the AD search committee.....

Leave it to the Indiana University administration to not include a single person with ties to its flagship athletic program in the search committee for its new athletic director.  But at least we have the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicutural Affairs and a 22-year old women’s soccer player steering the ship.

Archived