Leland Walker 2022

DC2345

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well...we will need a pg for sure it seems!

Ive heard through the grapevine that Coach Hahn at North Central thinks that Walker will be the best player he’s coached by the time he graduates. Just for a reference he coached Kellen Dunham and Sean McDermott at Pendleton. Yeas he’s a different type player but that’s still pretty high praise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Ive heard through the grapevine that Coach Hahn at North Central thinks that Walker will be the best player he’s coached by the time he graduates. Just for a reference he coached Kellen Dunham and Sean McDermott at Pendleton. Yeas he’s a different type player but that’s still pretty high praise.

I haven’t seen him. Will he grow much though? Seems pretty tiny but I know that isn’t a huge concern in HS it might make a difference in college.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I haven’t seen him. Will he grow much though? Seems pretty tiny but I know that isn’t a huge concern in HS it might make a difference in college.

No idea but he’s 6’0 160 right now as a sophomore. So height isn’t the biggest issue and weight will continue to get better as he gets older I’m sure.

• 6 months later...

https://youtu.be/Wiiw-O511F4 

Here’s a link. This guy needs to be getting a lot more attention on here. I have a buddy who has watched him live this summer. Says he passes and shoots well. Has a nice feel for the game. Then obviously I love the mentality he has of wanting to tear the rim off every chance he gets! I really hope he likes IU! He would be ELECTRIC Inside Assembly Hall. 

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Probably could have been left unsaid if you feel that way. 

Not trying to upset anybody here but not sure why I can’t state me opinion on 2 guard targets for that class.. I like Smith a lot as well I think he brings that jordy Hulls Feel back. A lot better passer than hulls tho.. honestly I’d love to ha a em both...Smith can probably shoot and pass a little better but I believe his athletic ability will hinder him a little at next level to make plays for others.. Walker is just on another level athletically and he is a good shooter and passer as well. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 5 championships said:

https://youtu.be/Wiiw-O511F4 

Here’s a link. This guy needs to be getting a lot more attention on here. I have a buddy who has watched him live this summer. Says he passes and shoots well. Has a nice feel for the game. Then obviously I love the mentality he has of wanting to tear the rim off every chance he gets! I really hope he likes IU! He would be ELECTRIC Inside Assembly Hall. 

He sure gets up for 6'0!

Edited by Moyeneeded

9 hours ago, 5 championships said:

If you haven’t already do yourself a favor and watch some highlights from this kid... WOW! My favorite player from 2022 class right now!

I've been preaching the gospel on this kid for a long time now!! He is the truth. Plays with an attitude and swagger, and it's clear his scoring ability will translate to the next level. These Indy kids play so much of a tougher schedule than I think people give them credit for too. 

I posted this write-up on another site a few months back cause I saw he was getting no love.

leland.PNG.0e621465c31d5432231c44b604572601.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Reminds me of Russell Westbrook...athletic slashing guard. 

Exactly what I thought! His mentality is like Westbrook. Except Westbrook is 6’4.. seems like Walker can shoot a little bit tho. I wouldn’t say great but I maybe guess 35-37% from 3.. anybody got any numbers from last high school year?

10 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

I've been preaching the gospel on this kid for a long time now!! He is the truth. Plays with an attitude and swagger, and it's clear his scoring ability will translate to the next level. These Indy kids play so much of a tougher schedule than I think people give them credit for too. 

I posted this write-up on another site a few months back cause I saw he was getting no love.

leland.PNG.0e621465c31d5432231c44b604572601.PNG

Yea this kid is for real. I had no idea who he was until IsAw IU has been contacting him every day now and WOW I about feel out my chair when I saw some highlight vids. 
I was really bullish on Another small guard IU was recruiting a few years back by the name of Tremont Waters. I wanted him the most out of anybody in class just thought he would be a star. He ended up having an awesome career at LSU. On the G league team with Romeo now. I believe he was G league MVP. I feel same way with Walker. He gonna be a star. 

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Not trying to upset anybody here but not sure why I can’t state me opinion on 2 guard targets for that class.. I like Smith a lot as well I think he brings that jordy Hulls Feel back. A lot better passer than hulls tho.. honestly I’d love to ha a em both...Smith can probably shoot and pass a little better but I believe his athletic ability will hinder him a little at next level to make plays for others.. Walker is just on another level athletically and he is a good shooter and passer as well. 

Just seemed like you went out of your way to mention Smith, but your explanation makes sense. Sounds like they could compliment each other if the work ethic from both is there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Just seemed like you went out of your way to mention Smith, but your explanation makes sense. Sounds like they could compliment each other if the work ethic from both is there.

It was more like if it comes down to it I’d take Walker over Smith. And I mentioned Smith because he has been getting a lot more attention then Walker and I thought it bring good discussion...I like Smith That boy can play and he is going to make tough winning plays. I’d want him on my team any day of week. I see him as a colverdale/Hulls type which is great! but I see Walker as a star like Yogi/Thomas..maybe even more specially. I think Smith could play off ball in college like Hulls and Colverdale and excel In that type of role/more spot up shooter.. Walker is guy where ball is in his hands running show. Not sure if we would take both but I’d be happy if we did. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

t was more like if it comes down to it I’d take Walker over Smith. And I mentioned Smith because he has been getting a lot more attention then Walker and I thought it bring good discussion...

I’m with you here. It’s part of the reason I’ve been talking up Leland. He showed out against the best teams in Indiana over the winter but was getting no love. 

• Like 1

Glad to see the increased contact.  All my friends that play ball in the indy area say Leland is an absolute stud and maybe even the best in the city regardless of class.  As for him or Braden Smith I would both.  I think we are going to take 2 PGs in this class anyways.  Rob, Al, and likely Lander will all be gone.  Let's not forget about Bruce Thornton too, not from Indiana but definitely a beast.  Any 2 of those 3 would be great.

• Like 2