Leland Walker 2022

DC2345

9 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Honestly I haven’t watched him Live. But from the videos I’ve watched he is an electric playmaker. Besides Geronimo he would be the most athletic player on IU. Capable shooter, tho his shot needs some  improvement. Looks like he loves to defend as well. He is a bit undersized but man is he athletic. Wow. 
I talked to a Coach who saw him play down in Louisville this summer against some of Indiana/Kentucky top talent and he said he was the best player on the floor at times. He was raving about him. 

the recruiting services always let some kids slip through the cracks we’ve seen our fair share of those at IU and I really believe he is another one. If no one bigger offers and he goes to Xavier i bet you he will be a star there. Really wish we were recruiting him. 

Any ideas why we have not offered 

This kid reminds me of McKinley Wright who we thought might follow Archie to IU but ended up at Colorado. He was a very good player for them. Similar height, similar build, good skill set, and playing fearlessly. We can certainly use this type of player. Our players tend to play too cautiously; we need someone who plays fearlessly without being too reckless. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

He tweeted this yesterday:  Blessed to say I’ll make my college decision on my birthday April 12th 2021. Grateful for this opportunity and looking forward to the next chapter after my high school career.

At this time, it looks like DePaul and Xavier are his only offers.

Verbal Commits lists more offers but I think those won't matter as he'll probably end up at Xavier.

2 hours ago, gnet550 said:

@The Daily Hoosierany news here?

No offer from IU after some big some moments this summer.  They are watching and still talking to him.  Remember IU didn't offer Leal and Galloway until after their junior seasons and some early spring AAU action.  I think we are in that same patient wait and see mode here.

BTW, He is definitely not 5-9 and not 6-1.  I've stood right next to him.  My guess would be 5-11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Flipping through the channels and saw Walker was playing on channel 23 here in Indy.  It is late 4th quarter and they are up 11.  I haven't seen him play but he looks like he passes well but he looks pretty small

I don’t think Archie wants another undersized guard. I think Rob is about as small as he would like and prefers longer guards.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Walker looks like what Yogi did in high school

And I’m saying I don’t think Archie wants that. Not saying he won’t offer but look at the point guards Archie has offered. Not many under 6’1 if not bigger.

I mean is Walker a top 20 player? Maybe that would change his mind but I don’t think he is. Someone will tell me I’m sure. If he is a poor mans Yogi then that isn’t going to cut it.

Edited by dgambill

I’ve said it before but Brian Hahn who was his previous head coach the last    2 years said he had a chance to be the best player he’d ever coached. Brian also coached Kellen Dunham and Sean McDermott at Pendleton Heights so that’s pretty high praise for the kid. Yes they are different positions but still impressive.

• Like 2

I’ve been a huuuge fan of this kid for a while now. I’ve consistently said I thought he’d be Mr. Basketball when it’s all said and done and I stand by it.  

I watched his sophomore games early in the pandemic and did a write up on page 1 if anyone is curious.

This kid is fearless. He seems to play better in high pressure moments. Yeah I get that he doesn’t have ideal size but he has a level of ball skill and aggressiveness that is really impressive. 

I know he wants an IU offer. And imo it would be a huge mistake not to extend

• Like 1