TJD, and some Advanced Stats worth noting

Thought TJD deserved a thread, lost among the back and forth on our recent games, his play is now on a level with Cody's frosh season.

How good is TJD? He's averaging 15.1, 9.1 boards, 2 blocks, leading the team in each category.

Some stats/advanced stats for you stat nerds (hello Fouls, lol) so far

- FG% .644

- True Shooting Percentage (TSP) .679, leads the team

- eFG% .644, leads the team

- Total Rebound% 19.1, leads the team

- Block % 8.1, leads the team (closest is 5.0 by Race)

- Offensive win shares 1.7, leads the team

- Defensive win shares .8, leads the team

- Win shares 2.4, leads the team

- Box Plus/Minus 12.5, leads the team (by a large margin), and so on....

Assessing how he projects as an NBA player is imo kind of difficult but, like Cody, I think he has the tools.

Some other guys' stats worth noting, imo. I keep hearing people say we lack shooters. Well, we really don't. We lack play from the wing, we're not spreading the floor to effectively use the 3-ball.

Green - 42.5% from the arc, Al 41%, Rob 41.7% (fewer shots, but still)

Al btw has a 122.4 offensive rating (3rd on team), and a 59% eFG%, second on the team, playing mostly from the perimeter

Smith is shooting 27.8% from the arc - the idea that he's developed an outside shot, well, that's not his game. Which is fine, he's very good playing the 4 / a mobile forward whether on the perimeter or not. He's eFG% is .582 and he's our 2nd leading scorer so far at 13.5 ppg. 

The numbers show how we have pretty good balance in scoring -- 4 players in double figures (TJD, Smith, Al and Green), with Rob just outside double figures (9.7) and that will likely be over 10 as he gets more floor time.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I expect TJD to earn his 3rd BIG freshman of the week unless I overlooked someone

Seems likely given this last game. He was dominant. 

This is a 'stat' thread in part, and so don't expect a lot of discussion, but it strikes me as kind of disappointing that there's so much (often negative) discussion about lineups and so little about a guy who may be turning into a transcendent player right before our eyes. I mean, the kid is flat out killing it as a frosh.

This kid was massively underrated coming in.  He’s got great athleticism and is just rock solid all around.  Doesn’t look like a freshman on the court at all.  Here’s where he ranks in the conference thus far in the stats you identified along with a few others:

PPG: 15.1 (8th)

RPG: 9.1 (7th)

BPG: 2.0 (7th)

FG%: .644 (1st)

FT%: .730 (10th)

Total FTs Made: 54 (1st)

Total FTs Attempted: 74 (1st)

TS%: .679 (3rd)

eFG%: .644 (2nd)

Total Rebound %: 19.1 (5th)

Total Rebounds: 100 (7th)

Total Offensive Rebounds: 36 (4th)

Total Defensive Rebounds: 64 (10th)

Block %: 8.6 (6th)

Total Blocks: 22 (7th)

Offensive Rating: 140.8 (1st)

Offensive Win Shares: 1.7 (Tied for 1st)

Defensive Win Shares: 0.8 (Tied for 7th)

Win Shares: 2.4 (1st)

Box +/-: 12.5 (5th)

PER: 33.3 (2nd)

Really impressive.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

TJD may end up being the least hyped McDonald's All-American that IU has ever had.

Agree whole-heartedly. I think some of that is that TJD isn't flashy, he keeps the celebration of a good play to a minimum, and just does his job!

He's humble. Remember his commitment? No 90 minute presser, no "look at me", no come and see me for your last chance bid, no real suspense. Just an announcement.

In the pressers, he's humble, gives his team mates all the credit for his success and in my mind, the definition of a true team player. CAM says he's coachable, which just adds more fuel to the fire for this team.

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

Agree whole-heartedly. I think some of that is that TJD isn't flashy, he keeps the celebration of a good play to a minimum, and just does his job!

He's humble. Remember his commitment? No 90 minute presser, no "look at me", no come and see me for your last chance bid, no real suspense. Just an announcement.

In the pressers, he's humble, gives his team mates all the credit for his success and in my mind, the definition of a true team player. CAM says he's coachable, which just adds more fuel to the fire for this team.

And he’s good. 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Was saying this all summer, but TJD may end up being the least hyped McDonald's All-American that IU has ever had. There were literally people questioning whether he would start this season. 

He's been fantastic so far!

Going back to the Cody comparison, I remember pretty much all of us were thinking/hoping he would be about a 10 or 11 and 5 guy. We didn't see him leading scoring and being a dominant player as a frosh.

Pretty much the same here. I don't think anyone saw TJD leading all scoring and rebounding (I sure didn't) let alone doing it in dominant fashion. 

Definitely under-hyped coming off the McD's game.

Maybe that's a good thing!

36 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This kid was massively underrated coming in.  He’s got great athleticism and is just rock solid all around.  Doesn’t look like a freshman on the court at all.  Here’s where he ranks in the conference thus far in the stats you identified along with a few others:

PPG: 15.1 (8th)

RPG: 9.1 (7th)

BPG: 2.0 (7th)

FG%: .644 (1st)

FT%: .730 (10th)

Total FTs Made: 54 (1st)

Total FTs Attempted: 74 (1st)

TS%: .679 (3rd)

eFG%: .644 (2nd)

Total Rebound %: 19.1 (5th)

Total Rebounds: 100 (7th)

Total Offensive Rebounds: 36 (4th)

Total Defensive Rebounds: 64 (10th)

Block %: 8.6 (6th)

Total Blocks: 22 (7th)

Offensive Rating: 140.8 (1st)

Offensive Win Shares: 1.7 (Tied for 1st)

Defensive Win Shares: 0.8 (Tied for 7th)

Win Shares: 2.4 (1st)

Box +/-: 12.5 (5th)

PER: 33.3 (2nd)

Really impressive.

He would be pretty good if he could get that FT% up.  Until that happens, it's hard to give him too much props.

And, I noticed you cherry picked and did not include assists. 

:coffee:

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He would be pretty good if he could get that FT% up.  Until that happens, it's hard to give him too much props.

And, I noticed you cherry picked and did not include assists. 

:coffee:

73% is not bad for a big man.  Do we really have 9 other players with meaningful FT's shooting better than 73%?

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can you remove the first fluff games and tell where everyone ranks over the last 4 games.

Don't have the stats, but my memory tells me that TJD had at least 2 (maybe 3) of his double-doubles in the last 4 games.

46 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can you remove the first fluff games and tell where everyone ranks over the last 4 games.  Would be interested to see how everyone is stacking up against better competition.  Serious question here, not trolling or anything.  Just looking for a different view of the same information.

To get his big ten rankings, that would require removing fluff games for all B1G teams.  That would require a huge amount of work.

This is the kind of guy that would become an absolute IU legend before the one and done era.  I hope we get at least 2 years of him at IU because I have been thoroughly impressed so far.  I mean hes our best player and it might not be close.  Luckily bigs his size without consistent outside shooting are not as coveted in the NBA as they once were.  This might let him stay around for another year or two.  He does nearly everything else at a high level and he just about checks every box for an elite prototype post player in today's college basketball.  

Seriously cant say enough about his impact on this team so far. 

13 hours ago, DWB said:

They're much different players on the court, but I see a lot of his dad in Trayce's mentality. Not a lot of talk, not a lot of flash, just smooth, steady and full-out.

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I can't tell you how he compares, but his numbers the past four games:

14.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 61% FG, 68% FT on 7 FTA, 1.5 BPG and 1.3 SPG. 

Perhaps a slight drop off, but still very impressive numbers. 

Yeah, his production has carried over into enough major conference games at this point that I think it’s fair to say his performance against the c******s wasn’t a fluke.  Plus, everyone else in the conference has put up numbers against those types of teams as well.  I’m sure TJD will go through his struggles during conference play like any freshman, but there’s no denying he’s legit.

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 1:27 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Some other guys' stats worth noting, imo. I keep hearing people say we lack shooters. Well, we really don't. We lack play from the wing, we're not spreading the floor to effectively use the 3-ball.

Green - 42.5% from the arc, Al 41%, Rob 41.7% (fewer shots, but still)

Al btw has a 122.4 offensive rating (3rd on team), and a 59% eFG%, second on the team, playing mostly from the perimeter

Smith is shooting 27.8% from the arc - the idea that he's developed an outside shot, well, that's not his game. Which is fine, he's very good playing the 4 / a mobile forward whether on the perimeter or not. He's eFG% is .582 and he's our 2nd leading scorer so far at 13.5 ppg. 

The numbers show how we have pretty good balance in scoring -- 4 players in double figures (TJD, Smith, Al and Green), with Rob just outside double figures (9.7) and that will likely be over 10 as he gets more floor time.

I'm confused about these numbers, unless I'm misinterpreting them (?) Devonte is shooting 38% on the season from 3, and he's somewhere around 28% since the FSU game, Al is 34.5%, and Rob 33%. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/84

Don't mean to hijack the thread or the subject, I'm just wondering if I missed something?

14 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm confused about these numbers, unless I'm misinterpreting them (?) Devonte is shooting 38% on the season from 3, and he's somewhere around 28% since the FSU game, Al is 34.5%, and Rob 33%. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/84

Don't mean to hijack the thread or the subject, I'm just wondering if I missed something?

The date of the other post was December 16. That was probably his percent then.

Archived