Nick Sheridan Named New OC

BeerBQ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should go to Mike Hart if he is wanting the position.  Familiarity with the scheme, playbook, and personnel go a long way towards filling the big shoes that Deboer created here this past year.

Plus, I suspect Hart plays a big role in getting some of the higher rated recruits we’ve seen commit these past few years.  Keep him on staff in an expanded role and hopefully the recruiting results continue to trend upwards at a faster pace.

I posted about it in another thread, but I think there are too many unknowns from the outside looking in regarding Hart.  He has never had play calling experience as an OC which would be a big worry.  We're set up to be successful for at least the next few years as long as we hire a good OC.  We can't afford to miss on this one.

I do trust that Allen will find whoever he thinks is best, so if we do end up promoting Hart, I will be excited about it because I trust that Allen thinks he can be one of the top play callers in the country.  Just don't know enough from the outside to want it to happen though.

I think the bowl game will be a test drive for Hart.  Good performance, and he probably has his name put towards the top of the list. 

He has only been a high-major assistant for 4 years, but this kid is a rising star.  Big time college player at a skill position, played a couple years in the NFL, good recruiter and is a pretty smart dude on top of it (a degree with honors from UM isn't anything to sneeze at). 

50 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

If we can hire a head coach with no D1 experience we certainly can hire an offensive coordinator with no experience.

True, but we have made some big steps forward! We are 8/4, our four loses were to Mich, mich St, Penn st and Ohio St. only Ohio St and Mich games were we out of the game early. So we need to get this right again. No problem with Hart, but he needs to be the right guy! Needs to be more then taking a chance on. Coach Allen is around him everyday. I hope he has a feel for him if he is ready. Can he come up with and execute a winning game plan. Can he make in game adjustments. Lots of questions need to be answered. We worked to hard to step backwards know! We need to be sure!

4 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I mentioned this in another thread but we could look at the old OC from Notre Dame that was just let go.

Funny you mention him.  I saw somebody else discussing Chip Long last week. I mentioned this to a Tennessee fan that was hosting a Christmas party Saturday,  and he introduced me to Chip's brother and sister in law.  Super nice people, and they weren't too happy about the way he was treated at Notre Dame.  I asked about IU possibility,  and they said they had no info, but that would be great.  Small world.

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Funny you mention him.  I saw somebody else discussing Chip Long last week. I mentioned this to a Tennessee fan that was hosting a Christmas party Saturday,  and he introduced me to Chip's brother and sister in law.  Super nice people, and they weren't too happy about the way he was treated at Notre Dame.  I asked about IU possibility,  and they said they had no info, but that would be great.  Small world.

The offensive players were very upset at the way he treated them. It was so bad that many of them were going to transfer if he returned.

Defensive coordinator Clark Lea was actually calling the parents of offensive players to reassure them on a weekly basis. It was a very bad situation.

One or two players? Ok maybe they are soft. But it was dozens 

12 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would think you would have to look at some of the asst at Alabama,  OSU, LSU, Clemson etc just to see if any are qualified for it. Give Long a call but I am confident that CTA has had a wish list put together for some time

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/lsu-reportedly-lands-offensive-analyst-jorge-munoz-louisiana-lafayette/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwijqdb39L7mAhVIT6wKHf64BlwQFjAOegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0S2e9Z7imIx_MvhXqIOtSH&ampcf=1

☝️☝️☝️  I played for this guy.  It was d3, but we put up numbers and points we had no business putting up with him as our OC at Anderson.  Not sure if he would want to move back north or not but he checks all the boxes.

7 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Thanks for sharing that story.  It is stories like this.... that I love. 

Disinterested 3rd party post here...With all of the Head Coaches who have been let go over the past month...many of their OCs are coming available as well.  As much as I disliked him as UT's HC, Derek Dooley has done a good job as the OC for Missouri the last 2 seasons.  With MIZZOU letting Odom go and hiring Drinkwitz, I would say that Dooley would be available and at a pretty reasonable price.  

8 minutes ago, Madmaxvol said:

Disinterested 3rd party post here...With all of the Head Coaches who have been let go over the past month...many of their OCs are coming available as well.  As much as I disliked him as UT's HC, Derek Dooley has done a good job as the OC for Missouri the last 2 seasons.  With MIZZOU letting Odom go and hiring Drinkwitz, I would say that Dooley would be available and at a pretty reasonable price.  

Don't know your age. Or if you are aware.  Years ago, there was a book titled "The Peter Principle" .  The theory being  that some very accomplished people would rise beyond their capabilities, only to fail. I have seen that work in real life as well as in sports.  Your take that Dooley was/is a good OC, after failing as HC has not gone unnoticed by me.  Thanks for the contribution.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Don't know your age. Or if you are aware.  Years ago, there was a book titled "The Peter Principle" .  The theory being  that some very accomplished people would rise beyond their capabilities, only to fail. I have seen that work in real life as well as in sports.  Your take that Dooley was/is a good OC, after failing as HC has not gone unnoticed by me.  Thanks for the contribution.

I'm old enough to have most of my hair either turn grey or turn loose.  I'm very familiar with "The Peter Principle".  Ironically, Dooley's undoing was hiring an amazing defensive position coach (Linebackers at Alabama) as his DC back in 2012.  UT averaged 36.2 points per game...but the defense gave up 35.7 and they limped to a 5-7 season.  Dooley was let go, and the coordinator moved on to win a National Championship the next season coaching Defensive Ends at Florida State.  He was an incredible position coach, but was not prepared at all to be a coordinator.  BTW...he moved around a bit, and is the Linebackers coach at Alabama again.  He never got another chance to be a coordinator.  

42 minutes ago, Madmaxvol said:

I'm old enough to have most of my hair either turn grey or turn loose.  I'm very familiar with "The Peter Principle".  Ironically, Dooley's undoing was hiring an amazing defensive position coach (Linebackers at Alabama) as his DC back in 2012.  UT averaged 36.2 points per game...but the defense gave up 35.7 and they limped to a 5-7 season.  Dooley was let go, and the coordinator moved on to win a National Championship the next season coaching Defensive Ends at Florida State.  He was an incredible position coach, but was not prepared at all to be a coordinator.  BTW...he moved around a bit, and is the Linebackers coach at Alabama again.  He never got another chance to be a coordinator.  

Thanks for the reply.  Your posts are very informative.

1 hour ago, Madmaxvol said:

He never got another chance to be a coordinator.  

Sunseri, right?

Maybe he realized that he either wasn't ready or just isn't cut out for being one, and elected to stay a position coach vs searching for a coordinator's job.  For some coaches, that's where they're cut out to be.  Look at a guy like Howard Mudd.  Spent his entire career as an OL coach, and was arguably the best in the game.

12 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Here are 17 different options to consider, split between higher and lower likelihood.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-football-names-to-know-for-the-offensive-coordinator-opening/

Great job. I wonder if the new OC will bring the possibility of new recruits we haven't been in on previously. Sounds like we may have lost some with DeBoer leaving,  only makes sense to possibly gain some with a new coaching addition.  

Many on your list have southern ties.  Love to add a playmaker if the new OC has connections we haven't visited before.

Archived