Nick Sheridan Named New OC

BeerBQ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Here are 17 different options to consider, split between higher and lower likelihood.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-football-names-to-know-for-the-offensive-coordinator-opening/

Great list. Forgot about Kevin Johns. Plenty of names to consider on there with ties to IU. I still am a tad apprehensive on Mike Hart situation. His recruiting has been phenomenal. Just makes me nervous if we don't choose him (regardless of experience) he might end up at Michigan in a year or two. Guess he could always end up there anyway so who really knows.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Great list. Forgot about Kevin Johns. Plenty of names to consider on there with ties to IU. I still am a tad apprehensive on Mike Hart situation. His recruiting has been phenomenal. Just makes me nervous if we don't choose him (regardless of experience) he might end up at Michigan in a year or two. Guess he could always end up there anyway so who really knows.

And I forgot about Grant Heard.  Came from Ole Miss when Allen was hired.  Was the passing game coordinator (QB & WR) this past season, so he's probably as familiar with DeBoer's scheme as anyone.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Huh ?  Matt is from Indiana.  Roots in the state. IU grad. Has assistant and HC experience.

I respect your FB knowledge. So... I would appreciate a reason at to why not.... Canada. 

Stints as O-Coordinator:

2007-10: Indiana
2011: Northern Illinois
2012: Wisconsin
2013-15: NC State
2016: Pitt
2017: LSU
2018: Maryland (became interim head coach)

It's pretty well universally accepted that the guy can build good offenses......yet he never really seemed to stick around very long.  I have no hidden information nor am I hinting anything, just an observation. 

Edit: Also: https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/report-matt-canada-turned-down-indiana-offensive-coordinator-job/

Apparently, Canada wasn’t comfortable with not having a big say in who his other offensive assistants would be and said no

Um.....dude......having guys like Hart and Heard on your staff are a perk, not a burden.  McFly......hello?

We don't truly know the assets different candidates bring.  But to hire Sheridan, who isn't particularly distinguished, over Hart would raise eyebrows.  If our playcalling nosedives--and one data point is that Sheridan  gameplanned with the older fella we got from Tennessee--and things did not go well and that's an understatement.  You pick Sheridan, it better work out, or else the fan base will melt down, especially when you pick him over a rising star in the coaching ranks in Hart, who frankly has head coaching potential..  

At no point did I ever hear a single solitary complaint about DeBoer, who seems to be a coaching savant.  We should obviously have someone like that be the goal. Sheridan would not be an inspiring choice from the outside.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Huh ?  Matt is from Indiana.  Roots in the state. IU grad. Has assistant and HC experience.

I respect your FB knowledge. So... I would appreciate a reason at to why not.... Canada. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I just don't like retreads personally. They seem to be my way or the highway types. I like I guy on the upswing not someone who's been around the block with average results (recently). I want to keep the momentum going. Good guys are going to be interested because we have good pieces. Hart might be the guy and based on Allen's philosophy he'll definitely look inward first. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We don't truly know the assets different candidates bring.  But to hire Sheridan, who isn't particularly distinguished, over Hart would raise eyebrows.  If our playcalling nosedives--and one data point is that Sheridan  gameplanned with the older fella we got from Tennessee--and things did not go well and that's an understatement.  You pick Sheridan, it better work out, or else the fan base will melt down, especially when you pick him over a rising star in the coaching ranks in Hart, who frankly has head coaching potential..  

At no point did I ever hear a single solitary complaint about DeBoer, who seems to be a coaching savant.  We should obviously have someone like that be the goal. Sheridan would not be an inspiring choice from the outside.

DeBoer was a gold strike. Unbelievable lower level head coaching record and like you said, a savant offensively. Perfect blend for Allen,who is naturally going to lean towards defense.

I hope he kicks ass and I hope he stays the hell out west....lol. Pac12 might be calling him in a few years.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Sounds like Deboer is coaching us in the Gator Bowl. That sound to me to be an indication that we will be going outside for a new OC. 

I've wondered if it indicates something there too Bob

Going off what has been reported and what I have gathered in bits here, supposedly unrelated to the new OC in any way.  Why anyone hired away would voluntarily want to risk leaving on a bad game knowing that is the most recent game example that the recruits will have to go off of seems to be more about bonds. Same goes for IU on how it looks without good reason.

That's why I'm among those who sense a mutual risk of some sort with both sides agreeing to let him coach and why I lean against it.   For any other reason it just wouldn't look good to me,  but with the culture of the program being close knit I can take it at face value for now.  No other choice really since he's going to coach and until more public info breaks . Then maybe we can connect the dots better with hindsight. 

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I know Allen's process was deliberate and relatively quiet last year, but are there any whispers about who they are talking to? I was looking at the openings: https://footballscoop.com/news/fbs-offensive-coordinator-tracker-2019-20/ and it looks like there are still a lot of openings, so my guess is this process might take a bit of time. 

I hope we hear nothing. 

24 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I mentioned this possibility awhile back but Nick Sheridan is going to be named the new OC.

Most of us have said we were confident that if we hired from within, that we had a great option available.  This was a job a lot of people were likely interested in, so with Sheridan being the pick, I am confident that he has shown Allen a lot, and that he will be successful.  I would guess he got a glowing recommendation from DeBoer as well.  I remember reading about a year ago about the work Sheridan has done over his time coaching, and he's been pretty successful.

I do like that we will likely run the same offense, so we should hopefully be able to keep from having much of an adjustment period.

Archived