DeBoer wants to coach in Gator Bowl

KDB

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I like the idea of him coaching the bowl game. I am sure the players are in favor of it.  To me it speak volumes of respect and character from CTA and DeBoer. 

Same. To me he gives us the best chance of getting #9. If CTA feels it can be done I'm cool with it. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think that was Bill Frieder who left on the eve of the tourney for Arizona State.  Michigan was offended and replaced him with Steve Fisher who won it all.  Both were filthy.  

In our case, though, we have a coordinator leaving for a head coaching job.  There, you had a lateral move from one head job to another.

I might have the same reaction you have if our head coach left for another head coaching job.  But, here, you have a guy working his way up the ladder and got to the head spot.  He did a great job here and I appreciate what he did but don't fault him for taking a head job.

As for being silent about the new job, he's got a recruiting class to assemble over there, lest he get off to a bad start there.  He needs the announcement as a practical matter to get his next job off on the right track.  This is a routine fact pattern.

Frieder announced he was leaving at the end of the season to take the ASU job.  Bo wanted none of that with a lame duck HC coaching the Wolves in the NCAAT.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Still holding firm that DeBoer should have left.  Instead of preparing for a bowl game, he was in California.  Can't be in two places at one time.

Fresno State Football: Head Coach Kalen DeBoer Introductory Press Conference 12/17/19 

He'll have at least 8 hours on an airplane.  Plenty of time to catch back up. 

13 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

He'll have at least 8 hours on an airplane.  Plenty of time to catch back up. 

I know it is finals week. But can't interact  face to face with players on either team on a plane  He has met with the Fresno players. And I believe he stayed in Fresno for early signing day.

Now there is talk about him raiding IU's team :

Tom Brew on Twitter: "Here's a scary thought: What if Kalen DeBoer wanted a QB in 2020 that knows his offense like the back of his hand? Indiana's Peyton Ramsey graduates in May, and has no guarantee that he will start next year at IU if Michael Penix Jr. is healthy. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I know it is finals week. But can't interact  face to face with players on either team on a plane  He has met with the Fresno players. And I believe he stayed in Fresno for early signing day.

Tom Brew on Twitter: "Here's a scary thought: What if Kalen DeBoer wanted a QB in 2020 that knows his offense like the back of his hand? Indiana's Peyton Ramsey graduates in May, and has no guarantee that he will start next year at IU if Michael Penix Jr. is healthy. 

Understand the mixed feelings on DeBoer coaching the bowl game, but those Twitter comments are pure speculation.  If Allen caught wind of ANY inappropriate discussions, things would not end well for DeBoer. 

I wish him nothing but luck at Fresno, and hope he is a huge success.   But if he stuck around just to attempt poaching of our players or recruits, his reputation for future jobs would be destroyed. The coaching family is very tight knit. How's Roshown McLeod doing these days?

Personally feel DeBoer is doing a disservice to both schools.There is no way he can give 100% of his time to both schools, as we have already seen this week.  Best thing IMHO.... after Jan. 2, it will be all over.  In the meantime...... What is Coach Allen doing about a replacement ?  Waiting to Jan.2 ?   I hope not.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I could see Ramsey leaving either way, and I am assuming he could land at another power 5 school. I think that is why we signed another quarterback in this class. I'm hoping that he sticks around though, because Penix has proven to be injury prone. 

Just now, DireBump said:

I could see Ramsey leaving either way, and I am assuming he could land at another power 5 school. I think that is why we signed another quarterback in this class. I'm hoping that he sticks around though, because Penix has proven to be injury prone. 

Yeah.  I would hate to lose Ramsey as well. 

1 hour ago, DireBump said:

Could you blame him?  He knows that Penix is the starter.  Why not move on for the experience of seeing a different program.  If he has interest in coaching, and I have no knowledge that he does, then being exposed to another school/program could be a good thing for that career choice.

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

We can only hope. Just have to wonder where his heart and mind set is.  Still don't approve.  And still not sure I will watch because of this.  How in the heck can a guy want to coach for a team he is leaving ?  Years ago Michigan fired a BB coach ( Steve Fisher) just before UM was to start play in the NCAAT.  Just cause.  However, they no longer felt he had the proper connection to their great university.  And that's where I am coming from on this issue.

I guess I just don't understand why this would stop you from watching the game.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I just don't understand why this would stop you from watching the game.

I just find it irresponsible. To divide one's time.  Either you're with us, or you are not.

As far as watching the game.  Still on the fence on that one.  Most likely a game time decision for me.  A lot depends on how much time DeBoer spends sharing time between two schools. 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You see it in the NFL all the time when a coordinator accepts a HC position even though  they are still in the playoffs.  That coach stays with his current team until the playoffs are over.

Well. That's not what is happening here.  DeBoer flew to California for his introduction. Then stayed at least another day for the early signing period. DeBoer did not stay with his current team. Instead of preparing IU for a bowl game. DeBoer was in California. Spending time doing Fresno business. 

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I just find it irresponsible. To divide one's time.  Either you're with us, or you are not.

As far as watching the game.  Still on the fence on that one.  Most likely a game time decision for me.  A lot depends on how much time DeBoer spends sharing time between two schools. 

That is why I am asking about watching the game because it is still the IU football team out there playing in a January Bowl game.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well. That's not what is happening here.  DeBoer flew to California for his introduction. Then stayed at least another day for the early signing period. DeBoer did not stay with his current team. Instead of preparing IU for a bowl game. DeBoer was in California. Spending time doing Fresno business. 

I have seen where the new hire would do both jobs,  They would go on their days off to his new team then go back to the old team to prepare for the playoffs.  I would assume there has been a little bit of down time since the season has been over.  this week has been finals week so they probably cut back on practice time.  I just don't see where the problem is because it shows that we are successful that other teams wants our coaches.  I am sure during the broadcast they will talk about how successful Deboer is and how he got a HC position which should be a good advertisement for IU.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

While I have no problem with DeBoer coaching in the bowl game, in a show of solidarity with my buddy mile I vow to turn around in my seat and not watch one IU offensive play in the Gator Bowl. It might be a 3rd and 25 kind of play should we find ourselves in that position but a play nonetheless. VBG

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

What if we are considering Mike Hart for the job, and it's his job to run things while DeBoer is away, a trial run so to speak, would that make you feel better?  It also seems quite plausible that He would tell Fresno during the interview process that he wouldn't have two feet in until after he beats Tennessee.  As an employer, I would completely respect that,  Finally, my last point is that Coach Allen has made a lot of hay with LEO.  It's a mantra that is ringing true, and has players, coaches, and even fans buying in.  Can you continue to preach LEO if you shut the door on someone for reaching for the brass ring?  Our success is DeBoer's success, and his success is our success.  LEO.

Archived