Early Signing Day

KDB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Was surprised to see that we did not sign anyone from Florida (I know about the TE with grade issues) as we have gotten a lot of speed and good athletes from there.  Anyone have insight as to why we did not get any Floridians? One year blip?

I was thinking the same thing. 

I think if the rankings included our walk-ons then we would be ranked slightly higher. I think we will have a couple more scholarships available for transfers or maybe to snag someone during the later signing period. I feel like we need another receiver with hale and westbrook leaving. 

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Bullseye.  Although how a kid like that got overlooked is beyond me. 

I've never been a scout or a coach on any level, and it only took me.....oh....maybe 5 downs to realize "Uh....this kid can play."

His closing speed in the UM game this year. Jesus 

I like how this class that is lower rated is full of guys who have been committed for a while, or that the staff have been on for a while.  It isn't like we were swinging and missing on a bunch of guys and had to take some fillers at the end to fill out the class.  These are guys the staff identified as having B1G level talent.  Allen and company have shown an ability to identify under the radar talent, so I am pretty confident this class will play above its ranking.

28 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I like how this class that is lower rated is full of guys who have been committed for a while, or that the staff have been on for a while.  It isn't like we were swinging and missing on a bunch of guys and had to take some fillers at the end to fill out the class.  These are guys the staff identified as having B1G level talent.  Allen and company have shown an ability to identify under the radar talent, so I am pretty confident this class will play above its ranking.

Yep... and we were silly to think that we would pull another class like we did last year. It's going to take some time. We've made some tremendous steps, now just keep coming. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yep... and we were silly to think that we would pull another class like we did last year. It's going to take some time. We've made some tremendous steps, now just keep coming. 

It will be interesting what next year's class will look like.  For this year's class, we really only had about a month and a half of good results to pitch to recruits.  Next year we'll have an entire offseason to hopefully pitch a 9 win team.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Less chance for immediate playing time would be my guess.  I'm sure there was a lot of negative recruiting going on after our back to back 5-7 seasons also.

It is interesting for sure. Looking at the rest of the conference, teams that had poor years still ended up with really good classes. I thought your class would’ve ended up closer to last year than it did TBH. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It is interesting for sure. Looking at the rest of the conference, teams that had poor years still ended up with really good classes. I thought your class would’ve ended up closer to last year than it did TBH. 

There's a 1 year bullwhip factor for some. This year's performance will reflect well on next year's class.

Maybe not for every recruit, but for some.

51 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Looks like last year it was 19. But the average rating is lower too not just the quantity. I thought you would’ve flipped more guys honestly. I do wonder how much of that was due to Deboer leaving. 

Last year it was 20. 

Idc about the rating of the kids.. I do know there is 9-10 right now that havent seen the field that the coaches are high on. 

This class isn't going to play for 3 years (except for the RB, WR, and DT). 

If we develop it.. or scouted correctly... that vastly trumps the rankings of recruits. Your basketball team should be able to tell you that. 

I’m with boiler (reluctantly) in that I think this class is a little disappointing. The average rating per player is relatively low but beyond that I put more credence into the fact that we were the only power conference offer for 7 of the recruits (ie no other power conference coaches, that know more than us posters, decided to offer them). I’m sure it will take a micro-second for someone to point out good players that only had one power conference offer but this is a numbers/odds process and the odds are better for a team when they land more coveted players.   Also wish we could have landed 3-5 Florida recruits as the 20+ Floridians we have on the team have added speed and athleticism.

That being said....if this is a one year blip (and it was still a good class compared to how we have done historically) it should not matter too much as the team already has a number of talented freshman and sophomores.

12 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I’m with boiler (reluctantly) in that I think this class is a little disappointing. The average rating per player is relatively low but beyond that I put more credence into the fact that we were the only power conference offer for 7 of the recruits (ie no other power conference coaches, that know more than us posters, decided to offer them). I’m sure it will take a micro-second for someone to point out good players that only had one power conference offer but this is a numbers/odds process and the odds are better for a team when they land more coveted players.   Also wish we could have landed 3-5 Florida recruits as the 20+ Floridians we have on the team have added speed and athleticism.

That being said....if this is a one year blip (and it was still a good class compared to how we have done historically) it should not matter too much as the team already has a number of talented freshman and sophomores.

We dont have enough info to know if the class is disappointing though. 

Archived