Indiana vs Arkansas Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

SIMPLE, You DONT lose at HOME!!!  If we lose this game at home there should be no questions about being ranked or an 11th seed in the Tourney!  This is a must statement WIN and time for some players to step it up!  Im calling you out Rob Phinisee, Justin Smith and Al Durham!!!  If we can’t get production from these 3, pack it in folks!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

SIMPLE, You DONT lose at HOME!!!  If we lose this game at home there should be no questions about being ranked or an 11th seed in the Tourney!  This is a must statement WIN and time for some players to step it up!  Im calling you out Rob Phinisee, Justin Smith and Al Durham!!!  If we can’t get production from these 3, pack it in folks!

So, do Duke and UK automatically get 11 seeds in the tourney for losing to Stephen F Austin and Evansville at home?

Please help e understand why IU should be cast into the trash heap, not only nationally, but by IU fans, if we lose a home game to a good opponent while truly bad losses by these other teams are shrugged off.

In your scenario, if a home loss automatically drops a team to an 11 seed, there will be only 2-3 teams above the 11 line in the NCAA tournament at the end of of the season.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, do Duke and UK automatically get 11 seeds in the tourney for losing to Stephen F Austin and Evansville at home?

Please help e understand why IU should be cast into the trash heap, not only nationally, but by IU fans, if we lose a home game to a good opponent while truly bad losses by these other teams are shrugged off.

In your scenario, if a home loss automatically drops a team to an 11 seed, there will be only 2-3 teams above the 11 line in the NCAA tournament at the end of of the season.  

Yes true that it seems wrong on one level, or unfair, to judge IU so harshly for a L while other programs get free passes 

But the flip side of that coin is most of those other programs have major wins and the track record that we just haven’t had the past few seasons.

like it or not IU is going to have to earn it’s way back to national (or even local) respect. 

I hope it starts this season. 

I do think we have the right coaching staff in place to get us to at least consistent tourney appearances etc, fwiw 

Just win and I'll be happy.

I don't care if it's by 1 or 31, although the latter would be nice.

We were so close to beating them at their place last year, and if we did we'd have probably been in the tournament.  This year though, we just need to grind out as many wins against Power 5 teams where we can get them in hopes we get to the tournament, and this is one of those games.

I'm just concerned about getting to the tournament, rather than where we'd be seeded.

I wouldn't call this game a "must win" contest.  However I feel it could become important for us come Selection Sunday.  Arky, at least as it stands right now, is one of the better teams in the SEC.  If we beat the Hogs, they still could possibly vie for a regular season or tourney title in their conference.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

I wouldn't call this game a "must win" contest.  However I feel it could become important for us come Selection Sunday.  Arky, at least as it stands right now, is one of the better teams in the SEC.  If we beat the Hogs, they still could possibly vie for a regular season or tourney title in their conference.  

Based on how tough I believe the Big Ten is going to be, I absolutely view this as a must win.  After the Arkansas game, 6 of our next 9 are against opponents currently ranked in the top 20.  8 of our next 12 are against teams in the Top 25 with a game against our rival (at Indiana) added in.  2 of the other 3 are away games.  So after you get through that 12 game stretch you have another 6 game stretch where you have another current top 20 team and 3 away games (one of which is Purdue).  Our schedule from here on out is an absolute meat grinder.  So I fully believe we must get this win on Sunday.

Remaining Schedule:

@ #13 Maryland

Northwestern

#2 Ohio State

@Rutgers

@Nebraska

#14 Michigan St.

#13 Maryland

@ #20 Penn St

@ #2 Ohio St

Purdue

#25 Iowa

@#11 Michigan

@Minnesota

#20 Penn State

@ Purdue

@Illinois 

Minnesota

Wisconsin

That is a really tough schedule.  I have kept my mouth shut about our play lately, but we are going to need to vastly increase our level of play to be competitive with that schedule.  We need at least 8 wins from that remaining schedule...and really 9 IMO to be able to breath comfortably about a tournament appearance.  And in year 3, that is a baseline goal.  I think 21 wins heading into the BTT should get us in.  So this game screams "must win" to me.  There are not many "that's a win" games in the next 12.  I see a bunch of toss up games and frankly, I have seen a major portion of this team have a really terrible skid a year ago, so I'm not really confident in how well they will do.

I don't think any games are truly must win but this is a very important one.  Our schedule overall is not easy at all but we know people are going to pick on us for having an easy non-conference.  To be able to say that we went 11-0 and handled business will be very helpful come tournament time if we are on the bubble. 

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Based on how tough I believe the Big Ten is going to be, I absolutely view this as a must win.  After the Arkansas game, 6 of our next 9 are against opponents currently ranked in the top 20.  8 of our next 12 are against teams in the Top 25 with a game against our rival (at Indiana) added in.  2 of the other 3 are away games.  So after you get through that 12 game stretch you have another 6 game stretch where you have another current top 20 team and 3 away games (one of which is Purdue).  Our schedule from here on out is an absolute meat grinder.  So I fully believe we must get this win on Sunday.

Remaining Schedule:

@ #13 Maryland

Northwestern

#2 Ohio State

@Rutgers

@Nebraska

#14 Michigan St.

#13 Maryland

@ #20 Penn St

@ #2 Ohio St

Purdue

#25 Iowa

@#11 Michigan

@Minnesota

#20 Penn State

@ Purdue

@Illinois 

Minnesota

Wisconsin

That is a really tough schedule.  I have kept my mouth shut about our play lately, but we are going to need to vastly increase our level of play to be competitive with that schedule.  We need at least 8 wins from that remaining schedule...and really 9 IMO to be able to breath comfortably about a tournament appearance.  And in year 3, that is a baseline goal.  I think 21 wins heading into the BTT should get us in.  So this game screams "must win" to me.  There are not many "that's a win" games in the next 12.  I see a bunch of toss up games and frankly, I have seen a major portion of this team have a really terrible skid a year ago, so I'm not really confident in how well they will do.

I guess I'll counter by saying:

• Maryland better improve their play against Indiana based on what they showed against Penn State and Seton Hall
  • Michigan better not play against us the way they played against Illinois
  • Penn state lost to Ol' Miss and we're scared of them?
  • Iowa lost to DePaul, so if we lose to Arkansas, which is worse?
  • Michigan State couldn't even beat us last year, nor could they beat a sucky UK team or Virginia Tech this year.
  • Ohio State has not shown that they can win a Big Ten game on the road either.  

As IU fans, we seem to focus so much on all of the warts our favorite team has, but ignore the fact that our opponents aren't perfect either.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I guess I'll counter by saying:

• Maryland better improve their play against Indiana based on what they showed against Penn State and Seton Hall
  • Michigan better not play against us the way they played against Illinois
  • Penn state lost to Ol' Miss and we're scared of them?
  • Iowa lost to DePaul, so if we lose to Arkansas, which is worse?
  • Michigan State couldn't even beat us last year, nor could they beat a sucky UK team or Virginia Tech this year.
  • Ohio State has not shown that they can win a Big Ten game on the road either.  

As IU fans, we seem to focus so much on all of the warts our favorite team has, but ignore the fact that our opponents aren't perfect either.  

All well and good, how many games do we have left after Arkansas that you think we have a better than 75% chance of winning?  I see quite a bit more likely losses and toss ups than I see games where you can almost pencil in a victory.

I focus on our warts because A)that is the team I happen to watch and B)I find our level of play to be as much, if not more important, than our opponents.  Additionally, there was the absolute collapse last year...yadda, yadda injuries...and yes they did play a role, but I just question the leadership on the team.  We got Papa Smith running his mouth again, we have not played really well IMO, and outside of the injuries, the way this team is playing is very reminiscent of last year.

I will start being more optimistic about the team when I have seen a sustained reason to do so.  Right now I think we are looking at a schedule that is going to make it tough to get to .500 in conference based on how we have played.  The competition gets much better starting with Maryland.

Alright, guys...my wife, son, and I just flew into Ohio from Florida today. I’m excited to say that my mother and I are going to be going over to see our cream and crimson in action in Sunday!!! I haven’t been to AH in years. My grandfather, an IU grad from the forties, and my link to IU basketball, passed away about four years ago and we plan on spreading some of his ashes on campus. 

Anyhow, thank for indulging my personal excitement...just really looking forward to being in Bloomington again.

By the way: where should we have pre-game nosh?

18 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Alright, guys...my wife, son, and I just flew into Ohio from Florida today. I’m excited to say that my mother and I are going to be going over to see our cream and crimson in action in Sunday!!! I haven’t been to AH in years. My grandfather, an IU grad from the forties, and my link to IU basketball, passed away about four years ago and we plan on spreading some of his ashes on campus. 

Anyhow, thank for indulging my personal excitement...just really looking forward to being in Bloomington again.

Can’t go wrong with Buffa Louie’s!! 

22 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I am very happy for you and your mom.

I understand that Yogi's is open again :

Yogi’s Bar and Grill reopening Monday, keeping traditions intact - Indiana Daily Student

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Uhmmm.  Maryland has dropped their last two games.  To... Penn State, and then to Seton Hall, where they scored a scorching 48 points.

The game is at Maryland, who despite those 2 losses, is still better than the Wisconsin team that killed us in our only other road game to this point.  We will (rightfully) be under dogs in that game.

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The game is at Maryland, who despite those 2 losses, is still better than the Wisconsin team that killed us in our only other road game to this point.  We will (rightfully) be under dogs in that game.

Granted  it appears that  road games will be tough for all B1G teams this season.  However, last time we played Maryland in their home, it was just a three point victory for them.

I think we match up better with them this year, than last.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Granted  it appears that  road games will be tough for all B1G teams this season.  However, last time we played Maryland in their home, it was just a three point victory for them.

I think we match up better with them this year, than last.

I am kind of hoping that, at worst, we remain a team that finds a way to win despite themselves.  I think we have done that a few times against some of the better programs we have played this year.  That is a precarious edge to traverse over the course of a season though.

32 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am kind of hoping that, at worst, we remain a team that finds a way to win despite themselves.  I think we have done that a few times against some of the better programs we have played this year.  That is a precarious edge to traverse over the course of a season though.

Well. We have yet to see the real Rob P, yet. In my estimation.  We have seen more of the good Devonte this season, than last season.  Jerome Hunter seems to be shaking off the rust (bless his heart ).  And Franklin has shown he can put it down under pressure.  And let's not forget about Trayce. An animal.  We're on the verge of breaking out on so many levels, IMHO.

Oh. By the way. Maryland blew out the vaunted Fighting Illini.   59-58.

i almost forgot musselman was the new coach at arkansas. he is one of the great minds in basketball and i'm more worried about him than the players on the floor. a big upgrade over anderson. i'm glad we get arkansas in musselman's first year because he is absolutely going to succeed there

2 hours ago, coachv said:

i almost forgot musselman was the new coach at arkansas. he is one of the great minds in basketball and i'm more worried about him than the players on the floor. a big upgrade over anderson. i'm glad we get arkansas in musselman's first year because he is absolutely going to succeed there

And Anderson wasn't exactly a slouch.

6 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Almost every B10 team will be dogs on the road.

IU will probably be favored in all their home games

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well. We have yet to see the real Rob P, yet. In my estimation.  We have seen more of the good Devonte this season, than last season.  Jerome Hunter seems to be shaking off the rust (bless his heart ).  And Franklin has shown he can put it down under pressure.  And let's not forget about Trayce. An animal.  We're on the verge of breaking out on so many levels, IMHO.

Oh. By the way. Maryland blew out the vaunted Fighting Illini.   59-58.

You have several posts implying Maryland is not that great. Do you think we will win there? I think we have a shot at home but think we will lose (hope Im wrong) by at least a dozen at MD.

Archived