2019 College Bowl Season

rico

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

OSU got hosed on that call.  He clearly had possession before it was knocked out.  He took three steps with the ball solidly in his hands.

Also, no way there's enough evidence to overturn the call on the field on that.

My thoughts exactly. I hate to say it but OSU got screwed

12 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I think the whole “football move” aspect is a little too vague.

Seriously, so you can just run backwards indefinitely as long as you don't make a move upfield or a cut, and if you drop it, then it's an incomplete pass?  That's basically the stance the refs took on that, as well as the "rules expert."  

I think three steps of solid possession should be enough to classify it as a catch.

Sorry. Brings me great pleasure to see Ohio St fans complain about bad calls. Terry Porter and they stole a national title in 03 Fiesta Bowl vs Canes on arguably one of the top 2-3 worst calls in college football history. 

In terms of the game. Clemson reminding people they are pretty good. 

Ohio State got screwed. Those two calls completely changed the game. The targeting call was bogus IMO, and the fumble return for a touchdown reversal was downright criminal. A zebra should have left the field in handcuffs after that call.

I hate it when people bitch and moan about refs and bad calls, but those were BAD calls.

53 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

Ohio State got screwed. Those two calls completely changed the game. The targeting call was bogus IMO, and the fumble return for a touchdown reversal was downright criminal. A zebra should have left the field in handcuffs after that call.

I hate people who bitch and moan about refs and bad calls, but those were BAD calls.

Bad calls aside the Bucks settling for 3 1st half FG's came back to haunt.

41 minutes ago, rico said:

The Bucknuts had their foot on the Tigers' jugular and they took it off...

That targeting penalty changed the entire game.  Ohio State blows out Clemson if that isn't called.

I'm still not sure it was targeting, but it did seem like a 50-50 thing.  I'm all for making the game safer, but sometimes it seems like it's impossible to make a hit without it being a possible targeting.  I think guys trying to avoid that penalty is definitely why we see missed tackles sometimes.

10 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

That targeting penalty changed the entire game.  Ohio State blows out Clemson if that isn't called.

I'm still not sure it was targeting, but it did seem like a 50-50 thing.  I'm all for making the game safer, but sometimes it seems like it's impossible to make a hit without it being a possible targeting.  I think guys trying to avoid that penalty is definitely why we see missed tackles sometimes.

One of many reasons the Bucks lost.

On 12/28/2019 at 4:50 PM, rico said:

Penn St. wins...

B1G is 3-0

LSU up early...

EDIT:  UPDATED 12/31/19 Conference Records through 12/30/19

AAC - 1-3

ACC - 4-3

B1G - 3-2

Big 12 - 0-3

CUSA - 3-4

Ind - 2-1

MAC - 2-3

MWC - 3-2

Pac 12 - 2-2

SEC - 3-1

SBC - 2-1

Conference Bowl Records & Scores

PAC-12 pulled it up to .500 with their win yesterday.  Big-12 has 2 games tonight and one game tomorrow...and must win out to finish at .500.   

SEC has played 4 of their 10 games...so it is way too early to tell how the post season will turn out.  They split yesterday with a Mississippi State loss to a horrible Louisville team and a Florida win over a mediocre Virginia team.  

In the remaining 4 Big-10 games...look like good match-ups and I really don't have a strong premonition in any of them.  I wouldn't fee confident in placing money on any of them, either way.  All of them look like they will be fun games to watch.

There are no Big-10 games today, and 3 games tomorrow:

Michigan vs Alabama - 1pm

Minnesota vs Auburn - 1pm

Wisconsin vs Oregon - 5pm

There is one SEC game today:

Kentucky vs Virginia Tech - Noon

and 3 tomorrow (the two Big-10 match-ups above) and Georgia vs Baylor - 8:45pm

Of the 4 remaining Big-10 bowl games, 3 are against SEC opponents (the two above, and...of course...UT vs IU)

21 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

That targeting penalty changed the entire game. 

If he hadn't lowered his head, they wouldn't have called it.  If there is any helmet to helmet contact, they go back to see how the defender positioned his head prior to contact.  Top (crown) of the helmet will get you ejected pretty much every time.  

Shaun-Wade-Targeting-Lawrence.jpg

44 minutes ago, Madmaxvol said:

If he hadn't lowered his head, they wouldn't have called it.  If there is any helmet to helmet contact, they go back to see how the defender positioned his head prior to contact.  Top (crown) of the helmet will get you ejected pretty much every time.  

Shaun-Wade-Targeting-Lawrence.jpg

Yeah, totally understand that, which is why I said it was a 50-50 thing.  

Lawrence also lowered his head, which is what actually made it a helmet-to-helmet hit.  On this kind of play, it's extremely difficult for the defender to avoid the targeting rule.  What are you supposed to do when you aim for under the helmet area, and then the guy moves his head down?  It's easy to look at it in replay and say "helmet-to-helmet," but the factors that made this a targeting call happened in tenths of a second.  I just think it's not cut and dry is all.

The "incomplete pass" was a complete mockery of officiating, however.  

On the other hand, it's nice to see Ohio State get a taste of their own medicine.  Refs in the Big Ten seem to favor/protect Ohio State pretty often.

Archived