Arkansas post game

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IU has skirted by a lot of teams we should have beat by 10+, this was coming. But as far as the bigger picture, I’m not sure how anyone can be excited about the conference schedule or general future. 
This is the same team as last year, and I can’t point to any player from last season who has taken a step forward. 

We’re a smart fan base who knows good basketball, sucks we haven’t seen it in awhile.

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

At some point in the second half, you have to call a timeout and explicitly make sure everyone knows the ball has to get to TJD. 

Here is the problem  Parakeet.  You can call a timeout, set up play after play. But Arkansas crammed the middle, and extended pressure on our guards.

Everyone screams its the coach. Im not sticking up for Archie, but until our guards can force teams out of that sort of D, we will struggle heavily.

We have the same issues carrying over from prior years.  It is the things that people have been harping on even though we were winning games.

Our packline defense makes every team that play us look like the Golden State Warriors of a few years ago.  Conversely, we are not good with the 3 ball, which in today's game is an absolute necessity.  We don't close teams out.  Our guard play is erratic at best.  We also take a bunch of foul shots but we leave a bunch of points on the board with all of them that we miss.

I said it before the game, we needed this one because a bunch of indicators are pointing to this team struggling against the rest of our schedule.

I feel exactly like I did last year when we were sitting at 12-2.  We do not have the injuries but we have a bunch of things that need fixed or we are going to have a rough end to the year.

Maybe I need to stop watching the games live.  Wasn’t able to sit down and watch the FSU, Nebraska, or ND games live from start to finish, but watched every second of the Wisconsin and Arkansas losses, lol.  After seeing us execute so well down the stretch against ND, disappointing to see us fall apart at the end of this one.  Looked like too many other losses over the course of the last few years... And it’s just embarrassing to schedule a series against Arkansas and get swept, by two different coaches nonetheless.

Not a great way to go into the brutal conference schedule coming up.  Here’s hoping the players and coaches learned something from last season.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I kinda don't like indiana basketball anymore.  Its not even wins and losses.  Watching a team like butler and Purdue play pure good basketball.  It's just disheartening.  

3 games into the big losing streak last year I stopped watching and just looked up scores because I was just so utterly disgusted by the level of play and same mistakes game in, game out. We look the exact same this yr. 

I was at that UConn game, it was just atrocious basketball from both sides. I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes just thinking about it. 

22 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Was checking the score periodically as I am out of town visiting family and couldn’t watch the game.  Interested to see what exactly happened with this one.

We did a great job getting the ball inside in the first half and TJD had 16 in the first half.

Arkansas adjusted at the half and TJD rarely saw the ball and had 4 in the second.

Green hit a three and then went into hero mode with his passing.

We went on one of our patented 15-1 scoring droughts.

Missed 9 FT.

5/21 from the three.

Had more TO’s than assists.

Basically, nothing out of the ordinary happened.

At the end of the day, as we saw last year, this is the type of swing game that can keep you out of the tourney.  Plus, this was at home.  

Archie can’t use last year’s playbook.  He needs to make adjustments.  I’m telling you, he’s teetering on losing the fan base.  He’s already lost some.  Personally, I want to see how we react in the B1G.   I’m not dancing on his grave.  But he can’t finish like he did last year.  We saw it with Davis and Crean.  You lose the fan base and it’s all over.  You’re just a ghost for your remaining period.  

Indiana fans want smart, tough, basketball.  Every possession should be valued.  You should play to your strengths and attack their weakness.  You should understand how to play under different time and score circumstances.  

We saw none of that and put up a loss that should never have happened and could have very bad ramifications depending on how they play in the B1G.  You go 10-10 and this loss may keep you out, where the win might have gotten you in.  Our players just didn’t value the situation.  All you have to do is see last year to see how this can play out.  

That’s an ugly loss where they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Was checking the score periodically as I am out of town visiting family and couldn’t watch the game.  Interested to see what exactly happened with this one.

We didn't have a real good effort in the second half feeding the post..when we tried, we tried with those bullcrap one handed passes that invariably got tipped away and stolen

We didn't hit free throws

Al Durham made a punk move and got ejected...and if it was up to me, he'd sit against Maryland too...

Without TJD and Brunk we get killed by 20+

Live by the Devonte, die by the Devonte...

You have to give Arkansas credit...they played great D and hit some really tough shots...Jones and Joe were impressive...

Where's the flippin Tylenol...

Same story as against Notre Dame. We dominated inside. Then...Mike Brey made adjustments and came back. We won because Notre Dame is awful. Same story tonight. Musselman figured out how to defend us and Arkansas actually had people who can make a wide open shot. I hate to be pessimistic but it looks like were gonna get beat up bad in conference play.

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

At some point in the second half, you have to call a timeout and explicitly make sure everyone knows the ball has to get to TJD. 

Agreed. Arkansas adjusted we did not. They keyed on Trayce so now it’s on Archie to FIND a play to get him the ball. Jones has 4 fouls go right down the floor and go after him...get him out of the game. Attack him with Brunk or Trayce. It’s not all on Archie but he did not adjust to what Arkansas did and the guards decided to take the game over with poor shit selection and decision making not to mention we only shot 50% from the line. It’s going to be a long season in the B1G if we can’t get it together and stop pissing away leads like this. 

That last 10 minutes is about as bad as basketball that you can play and everyone deserves the blame.  Like I said in the game thread AL getting kicked out really hurt us because there was no one on the bench to come in when we should have yanked Green.  I am listening to Assembly Call and they kind of answered my question as to why RP was not in the game.  They said someone who was at the game said that RP looked gassed and looked like he did not feel well.  Two years ago I was on here saying how DG should not be on this team but I felt that he had turned the corner at the end of last year.  Well after this game I have lost patience with DG and to me he should not see many minutes.

Until we get a roster full of actual basketball players who knows the game and have I game basketball IQ we will never be a consistent team.  I want guys who knows how to feed the post and guys who knows how to play without the ball and guys who values each possession.  I want guys who knows what a good shot is and guys who can make the simple play instead of trying to be on the Sportscenter top 10.

1 minute ago, IU5355 said:

Same story as against Notre Dame. We dominated inside. Then...Mike Brey made adjustments and came back. We won because Notre Dame is awful. Same story tonight. Musselman figured out how to defend us and Arkansas actually had people who can make a wide open shot. I hate to be pessimistic but it looks like were gonna get beat up bad in conference play.

Welcome to HSN 3.0. 

Archived