Arkansas post game

I really LIKE Archie. I don’t necessarily believe he’s the guy but gosh I wish he gets us there quick. I didn’t like Crean from day one. Nor Davis. I want a coach like Archie, but we gotta get back to what we are capable of being.

and no, I don’t believe we just can’t ever be that again. But I also agree with Bob it’s bigger than one hire. It’s the AD and it’s the board and president also. We have to decide this is what we want as an INSTITUTION and not just a fanbase.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Like I have said that some very good coaches took more than 3 years to get established so why not let it play out to see if Archie can do it.  Our fans turning on the program after 2.5 years does nothing but hurt the program.

Because that works out like 1% of the time.  I will take the 99% odds that a 3 year dog is a dog.  Right now it looks like we made the worst hire of like situated competition.  UL and OSU are top 10 in year 3 and we have people still talking about needing time....

We went your patience route with Davis and Crean.  Look where it got us.

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We could could continue in irrelevance like you want.  Take a position. Tell us why we are great and that today was a good sign as to why it’s ok to blow a ten point lead against an undermanned team at home with Dale Brown level helplessness. 

IU has been irrelevant for 20 years.

What magic hire is going to make it all go away?

And did Dale Brown make out with your wife or something? 

8 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Insane. 

Durham elbowed a man he never saw. It was a stupid play, but it was a long way from getting kicked off the team.

Green is the one guy on our team that can shoot. He made a lot of bad plays, but he didn't shoot all that poorly, not great, but not terrible.

We need guards to mature. If Phinisee and Franklin improve as much in the next year as Durham did in the last year, we will have a solid back court. 

I didn't say kick him off, I said it he pulls that crap again he's done. But if you think Durham never saw him, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell ya. Green can definitely shoot, BUT he just screws up to much, i don't think he is fixable

28 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

But that's the thing though. You could sell Beard.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well since he is from the RMK coaching tree do you think he would come here 

12 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Don't you at least have to try? Don't you at least have to put out backdoor feelers there? Especially given where we are? 

I love how Texas Tech played last year, but we're not getting their coach. 

"Texas Tech made Chris Beard the third-highest paid college basketball coach in the country when he agreed to a six-year, $27.45 million contract extension.

Beard, who made $2.8 million last season when he led Texas Tech to the national title game, will make $4.57 million per season under the new deal."

I guess what I want to add to this conversation is that we have a coach, and a very good one.  Archie needs a point guard and when things breakdown there is no solid decision maker on the floor to breakdown the D and to take control of the offense.  

This team is going to have good days when shots are falling.  However, to be truly consistent IU needs a point guard.

This is where Archie has struck out the past three recruiting classes and he has tried to go after 1-2 for each class.  Hopefully Lander sees this is what is needed.  Hopefully helps comes next year.  

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We could could continue in irrelevance like you want.  Take a position. Tell us why we are great and that today was a good sign as to why it’s ok to blow a ten point lead against an undermanned team at home with Dale Brown level helplessness. 

So what can fans like us do to not accept what is happening  Just complaining on a message board will not do it because if it did then we would have turned it around a long time ago.  Have you written to the AD or the president to file your complaint or have you stopped watching the games on TV

8 minutes ago, JugRox said:

IU has been irrelevant for 20 years.

What magic hire is going to make it all go away?

And did Dale Brown make out with your wife or something? 

Those are not answers. Step up and come up with solutions.  Vague platitudes go nowhere.  You come across as very uninformed.  

Maybe you’re too young to remember Dale Brown. We would always beat him like a drum where his teams would not take advantage of strengths and exploit weaknesses.  That’s what Archie did today.  Very comparable to Dale Brown. 

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Because that works out like 1% of the time.  I will take the 99% odds that a 3 year dog is a dog.  Right now it looks like we made the worst hire of like situated competition.  UL and OSU are top 10 in year 3 and we have people still talking about needing time....

We went your patience route with Davis and Crean.  Look where it got us.

Well Holtman has lost two games this year to WVU and Minnesota where we have lost 2 games to UW and Arkansas.  I don't see much of a difference in their losses to our losses.  Also Archie had a better career at Dayton than Holtman had before OSU.

So what can fans like us do to not accept what is happening  Just complaining on a message board will not do it because if it did then we would have turned it around a long time ago.  Have you written to the AD or the president to file your complaint or have you stopped watching the games on TV

Don’t sell fans short.  You get the fan base riled up and it spreads like wildfire.  Message boards are a conduit for it.  It’s unsustainable to trot out a coach who has lost the fan base.  

Fans can be donors, ticket buyers, tv viewers, apparel purchasers, etc.  You get the uproar going and the coach is dead man walking.  

7 minutes ago, Let said:

I didn't say kick him off, I said it he pulls that crap again he's done. But if you think Durham never saw him, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell ya. Green can definitely shoot, BUT he just screws up to much, i don't think he is fixable

Not defending Al but that guy was talking trash all night before that happened.

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Those are not answers. Step up and come up with solutions.  Vague platitudes ho nowhere.  You come across as very uninformed.  

Maybe you’re too young to remember Dale Brown. We would always beat him like a drum where his teams would not take advantage of strengths and exploit weaknesses.  That’s what Archie did today.  Very comparable to Dale Brown. 

You mean like in the 87 regional finals where we won by 1 point on Calloway's basket with les than 10 seconds to go in the game.

Money talks If you want a good coach, regardlessif you fired your coach after 3 years or if you have been irrelevant for 20 years. Make someone the highest paid coach in basketball and your pool grows exponentially.  

But doing this means the University from the top down had decided that IU basketball is king.  But it also means you build your contact to match said salary. You can't just give it away without any means is getting out of it back based on results.

Money almost always talks

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Don’t sell fans short.  You get the fan base riled up and it spreads like wildfire.  Message boards are a conduit for it.  It’s unsustainable to trot out a coach who has lost the fan base.  

Fans can be donors, ticket buyers, tv viewers, apparel purchasers, etc.  You get the uproar going and the coach is dead man walking.  

Like I said do something about It like I did when I e-mailed Glass about being unhappy with Crean.  Again complaining about it on a message board will not help the program but can really hurt it.

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Those are not answers. Step up and come up with solutions.  Vague platitudes go nowhere.  You come across as very uninformed.  

My answer is to stick with Miller.

Whats your magic hire again?

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Money talks If you want a good coach, regardlessif you fired your coach after 3 years or if you have been irrelevant for 20 years. Make someone the highest paid coach in basketball and your pool grows exponentially.  

But doing this means the University from the top down had decided that IU basketball is king.  But it also means you build your contact to match said salary. You can't just give it away without any means is getting out of it back based on results.

Well Archie is 10th in the country in salary and it has not helped.  Also with us not getting the revenue from football like some of the other schools we don't have 8-10 million  a year to give our coaches.

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And who are you going to give all this money to?

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Yes. Very good example.   He blew a big lead late.  The win looked impossible late.  You know Knight’s quote about him, right? 

You said we would always beat them like a drum but saying beating a team by 1 is not beating them like a drum.  If Dale was that bad why did it take a last second shot for an RMK team to beat him.

Well Archie is 10th in the country in salary and it has not helped.  Also with us not getting the revenue from football like some of the other schools we don't have 8-10 million  a year to give our coaches.

He makes a third of Cal and K.  This is a basketball school.  That’s a low number for what IU needs as a supposed basketball school.  

I know that the buck should stop with Archie when you’re talking about the coaches, but what does Ostrom and Flint bring to the games?  Ostrom may be a good recruiting, but looks like a yes man during the games. Has Flint ever run a successful program on his own?

Ive been a fan for 50 years, but I’m really starting to get weary watching now

Archived