Arkansas post game

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

He makes a third of Cal and K.  This is a basketball school.  That’s a low number for what IU needs as a supposed basketball school.  

Like I said we don't have the revenue from football to help compensate the coaches.  I have not looked but how much does Bennett and Wright make since they won a championship.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said we don't have the revenue from football to help compensate the coaches.  I have not looked but how much does Bennett and Wright make since they won a championship.

We have plenty of money for a basketball coach when you weigh the importance of basketball.  It’s THE sport at IU.  We make plenty from the B1G network. Some of it is siphoned off.  Noble but hurts us in competition.  Glass used money in other ways and was impotent with the Board and admin.  We need a much more persuasive guy who can navigate the politics and demonstrate the importance of basketball and the ROI.   

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You come up with some answers.  Show us your knowledge.  You’re just taking pot shots with no ideas.  

No what some of us are saying is that if we make a change we would be getting candidates just like Archie an up and coming mid major coach.  Some of you think just because Indiana comes calling that every coach will just listen and move on from their current job.  Just look at UCLA and their hires since Wooden and you don't see proven college head coaches taking their jobs.

That was a horrendous loss. That was a loss that can keep you out of the NCAA tournament. Yes, we’re 11-2, which isn’t bad and is probably where most would have predicted IU at this point and been happy, but as others have said it’s not the record it’s how we’ve arrived at it. We should beat Arkansas at home. IU shouldn’t allow a crappy Nebraska team take them to OT at home. I have very little confidence heading into Big Ten play  

Musselman absolutely outcoached Archie in the second half. He want to an NBA style offense and took advantage of our big lineup. He gave whoever TJD was defending the ball at the top and then had Joe set a ball screen which basically created mismatches on every possession. We needed to go smaller so TJD wouldn’t be out on the perimeter defensively  

Defensively, like everyone else they just packed the paint in the second half which rendered TJD and Brunk almost useless, especially since only Green on our team can shoot, and as a defense you’re ok with Green shooting. I know it was tough with Durham and Hunter out, but you have to go small to create some space for TJD operate. 

I don’t even know what to say about Green and Durham, those are your two captains?

Some overall program thoughts:

- I still believe in Archie as a coach. His upperclassmen are Durham, Smith, Green and Davis. That’s it? I think the offense would work fine if we had a couple guys that could shoot or make plays consistently 

- As far as adjustments, I’m not sure how you adjust when your guard play is terrible and nobody (guard or big) can shoot or make a play except for Green, yet you can’t trust Green at all. 

- I am starting to worry about Archie as a recruiter and a program builder. We have no guard play, no shooters and no playmakers, and I don’t see any on the horizon. I like Phinisee, I like Franklin, and the 2020 recruits seem like good, program building players, but I don’t think we can except them to step in and be much more than what Phinisee and Franklin are/we’re as freshmen. 

If Archie doesn’t bring in some guards, shooters and playmakers, I don’t see how this gets better? Green is a train wreck at times and wildly inconsistent and unreliable, but with that said who is going to make 3’s for us next year? Who is going to make shots when the clock is running out or the offense is bogged down? Archie desperately needs to add to this 2020 class. 

I just don’t know where this goes. I don’t see the Big Ten season going well. I see IU squarely on the bubble, and if it ends up on the wrong side, this could get ugly. What happens if we miss the tourney and then miss on Lander, Furst and Kaufman, or even just 2of the 3?

Again, I really think Archie can coach if he has the horses, I’m just starting to wonder if he’ll have the horses. 

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't know but when you start throwing 10mila year around, people will listen including Stevens and Donovan just as examples. These aren't the only 2.

Obviously. The notion that you cannot attract a more accomplished coach with more money is so insanely ludicrous that it’s frankly not worthy of discussion. That’s free enterprise.  Maybe some people need to study economics 101.  

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't know but when you start throwing 10mila year around, people will listen including Stevens and Donovan just as examples. These aren't the only 2.

Stevens isn’t leaving Boston. IMO. He has a good thing going there 

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yeah, we have had a chance to up football for 30 years and they haven't.  IU just doesn't care to be a sports school on my opinion.  Especially since Bob Knight

Actually, I meant the athletic department not having full use of the money our football program and the BTN bring in.

We have plenty of money for a basketball coach when you weigh the importance of basketball.  It’s THE sport at IU.  We make plenty from the B1G network. Some of it is siphoned off.  Noble but hurts us in competition.  Glass used money in other ways and was impotent with the Board and admin.  We need a much more persuasive guy who can navigate the politics and demonstrate the importance of basketball and the ROI.   

Again f we had 8 million to offer we are still not going to get what you think would be a home run hire.  You think a Wright or Bennett will leave their Cush job where they have won championships to coach at a place where they want their coach fired after 2.5 years.  I don't even know that Beard would leave since he proved he can win at TT and not have to worry about the fan base.  Unless Donovan is available we would not get any big time coach.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That was a horrendous loss. That was a loss that can keep you out of the NCAA tournament. Yes, we’re 11-2, which isn’t bad and is probably where most would have predicted IU at this point and been happy, but as others have said it’s not the record it’s how we’ve arrived at it. We should beat Arkansas at home. IU shouldn’t allow a crappy Nebraska team take them to OT at home. I have very little confidence heading into Big Ten play  

Musselman absolutely outcoached Archie in the second half. He want to an NBA style offense and took advantage of our big lineup. He gave whoever TJD was defending the ball at the top and then had Joe set a ball screen which basically created mismatches on every possession. We needed to go smaller so TJD wouldn’t be out on the perimeter defensively  

Defensively, like everyone else they just packed the paint in the second half which rendered TJD and Brunk almost useless, especially since only Green on our team can shoot, and as a defense you’re ok with Green shooting. I know it was tough with Durham and Hunter out, but you have to go small to create some space for TJD operate. 

I don’t even know what to say about Green and Durham, those are your two captains?

Some overall program thoughts:

- I still believe in Archie as a coach. His upperclassmen are Durham, Smith, Green and Davis. That’s it? I think the offense would work fine if we had a couple guys that could shoot or make plays consistently 

- As far as adjustments, I’m not sure how you adjust when your guard play is terrible and nobody (guard or big) can shoot or make a play except for Green, yet you can’t trust Green at all. 

- I am starting to worry about Archie as a recruiter and a program builder. We have no guard play, no shooters and no playmakers, and I don’t see any on the horizon. I like Phinisee, I like Franklin, and the 2020 recruits seem like good, program building players, but I don’t think we can except them to step in and be much more than what Phinisee and Franklin are/we’re as freshmen. 

If Archie doesn’t bring in some guards, shooters and playmakers, I don’t see how this gets better? Green is a train wreck at times and wildly inconsistent and unreliable, but with that said who is going to make 3’s for us next year? Who is going to make shots when the clock is running out or the offense is bogged down? Archie desperately needs to add to this 2020 class. 

I just don’t know where this goes. I don’t see the Big Ten season going well. I see IU squarely on the bubble, and if it ends up on the wrong side, this could get ugly. What happens if we miss the tourney and then miss on Lander, Furst and Kaufman, or even just 2of the 3?

Again, I really think Archie can coach if he has the horses, I’m just starting to wonder if he’ll have the horses. 

Too early to tell. But I will be upset to no end, if it is Arkansas keeps us from making the NCAAT, two years in a row.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No what some of us are saying is that if we make a change we would be getting candidates just like Archie an up and coming mid major coach.  Some of you think just because Indiana comes calling that every coach will just listen and move on from their current job.  Just look at UCLA and their hires since Wooden and you don't see proven college head coaches taking their jobs.

You and I agree that Archie gets year four. Hopefully he turns it around.  Today was a bad sign and harkens back to the ineptitude of helplessly losing 12 of 13 last year.   

Also, if our current administrative philosophies stay in place, we will get another coach who’s not distinguished.  

What is critical is we get an AD who has worked in an environment conducive to successful basketball and the right levers to pull. With the new frontier of marketing, we also need forward thinking in terms of optimizing IU’s built in advantages in a legal way.   

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And ....it took John Wooden at UCLA fifteen years, before he won his first of multiple national championships.

Out of curiosity how many coaches had early success and was able to maintain it?  

Just looked up Billy Donovan and his first three years at Florida were a struggle and that was two years after Krueger took them to a final four.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Again f we had 8 million to offer we are still not going to get what you think would be a home run hire.  You think a Wright or Bennett will leave their Cush job where they have won championships to coach at a place where they want their coach fired after 2.5 years.  I don't even know that Beard would leave since he proved he can win at TT and not have to worry about the fan base.  Unless Donovan is available we would not get any big time coach.

You have zero to back that up.  Another unsupported statement.  But you can get somebody accomplished for $8 -$9 million      To think otherwise is naive.  

Good coaches are not going to be intimidated by IU fans.  If you’re good and “get it” you know it.  We remain a sleeping giant that is underachieving as a program.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Obviously. The notion that you cannot attract a more accomplished coach with more money is so insanely ludicrous that it’s frankly not worthy of discussion. That’s free enterprise.  Maybe some people need to study economics 101.  

I am being over overdramatic.  Of course 10mil a year is going to open doors.  My point is to spend what a blue blood  basketball school should spend and make basketball a priority.  You must have a top down plan that everyone is on board with and then execute that plan.  The president and AD need to be the biggest supporters of the program.  You can't let t shadow of Bob Knight keep you from doing it again

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

You and I agree that Archie gets year four. Hopefully he turns it around.  Today was a bad sign and harkens back to the ineptitude of helplessly losing 12 of 13 last year.   

Also, if our current administrative philosophies stay in place, we will get another coach who’s not distinguished.  

What is critical is we get an AD who has worked in an environment conducive to successful basketball and the right levers to pull. With the new frontier of marketing, we also need forward thinking in terms of optimizing IU’s built in advantages in a legal way.   

I just don't see many established coaches taking bigger jobs like you use to.  You even see guys like Few and  Marshall staying at lower level conferences instead of going to blue blood programs.  I think today coaches main priority is not just money but about happiness and security so you see more coaches staying where they are at.

1 hour ago, Moyeneeded said:

Sucks that we have this one away with several highly reguarded recruits sitting behind the bench.

Khristian Lander had to be sitting behind the bench thinking one of 4 things:

• I can step in and help this team right away.  They need solid guard play.
  • Man, I hope I can get the Green light to play like Devonte.  That looks like fun.
  • Coach Musselman made strategic changes and Coach Miller either didn't counter, or the players refused to listen to him
  • Oh well, at least the pizza at Mama Bears was really good.

Only #1 is a good thing, but even it points out our current problem.  

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am being over overdramatic.  Of course 10mil a year is going to open doors.  My point is to spend what a blue blood  basketball school should spend and make basketball a priority.  You must have a top down plan that everyone is on board with and then execute that plan.  The president and AD need to be the biggest supporters of the program.  You can't let t shadow of Bob Knight keep you from doing it again

I agree with you 100%.  What we’ve been doing is not working.  It’s not just Archie, although he got his clock cleaned today.  

You have zero to back that up.  Another unsupported statement.  But you can get somebody accomplished for $8 -$9 million      To think otherwise is naive.  

Good coaches are not going to be intimidated by IU fans.  If you’re good and “get it” you know it.  We remain a sleeping giant that is underachieving as a program.  

Like who?

Just now, Long Duk Dong said:

I think Indiana is done until they hire a big time coach that gives them instant credibility.

Need to go full Alabama and pry away a Saban.

I don't think Saban has ever coached basketball but why not.  Again who is the Saban out there to pry away that would be available and willing to change jobs.

Archived