Arkansas post game

9 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Insane. 

Durham elbowed a man he never saw. It was a stupid play, but it was a long way from getting kicked off the team.

Green is the one guy on our team that can shoot. He made a lot of bad plays, but he didn't shoot all that poorly, not great, but not terrible.

Seriously, I don't mean to be belittling here, but we weren't watching the same game...

Durham's elbow was intentional. No other way to describe it. It was a punk move any way you slice it. I know frustration plays a part, but I never want any IU player to act like that. If I were Archie, he'd sit another game for that one...

And in what world is 5-14 (35%) shooting not terrible? The only thing worse was his shot selection...

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one (maybe the only) positive takeaway from this game is that TJD is really, really good. His instincts and timing are nearly flawless and he just seems to be in the right spot at the right time all the time. Of course, he needs to hit his free throws, but if he sticks around next year, he's going to be a special player - not that he already isn't, but you know, extra special. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Seriously, I don't mean to be belittling here, but we weren't watching the same game...

Durham's elbow was intentional. No other way to describe it. It was a punk move any way you slice it. I know frustration plays a part, but I never want any IU player to act like that. If I were Archie, he'd sit another game for that one...

And in what world is 5-14 (35%) shooting not terrible? The only thing worse was his shot selection...

I have to agree with IUFLA. I am very disappointed in Al . He of all people know how much we need everyone in his position. If the guy’s talking trash to you do something positive offensively or defensively to shut him up. 
Green you can throw in low IQ passes!

20 minutes ago, BEKA said:

The one (maybe the only) positive takeaway from this game is that TJD is really, really good. His instincts and timing are nearly flawless and he just seems to be in the right spot at the right time all the time. Of course, he needs to hit his free throws, but if he sticks around next year, he's going to be a special player - not that he already is, but you know, extra special. 

Now we just have to get him the ball

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Chip Kelly was on the hot seat for a couple years there. Bet ND is glad that they didn’t overreact on that.

Just my 2 cents is only reason Chip is still there is the targets ND wanted said no thanks but I would have to believe they were trying to upgrade the position at coach.

11 hours ago, JugRox said:

It’s December......

we need to win 3 of the next 5. Almost have to.

@ Maryland

Northwestern

Osu

@ Rutgers

@Nebraska

That's probably our easiest 5 game stretch left.  I see 2 wins(Northwestern and Rutgers).   Maybe we can steal a road win at Nebraska but I'd be suprised.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I just can't get over TJD getting zero post touches in an entire half of hoops. Should never happen in any style or type of game. Still in shock we just kept taking the bait which is the Wisconsin way of forcing an opponent into jacking up jumpers in the spots they want knowing you can't shoot.

12 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

At some point in the second half, you have to call a timeout and explicitly make sure everyone knows the ball has to get to TJD. 

This x100.  Ridiculous.  Green was ridiculous.  I really haven't criticized Arch at all, but this was totally on him.  Really bad loss.  Just no excuse.  

I enjoy this forum, and remain very interested in the comings and goings of IU basketball.  We are a bubble program at this point and just are not going to win at a level that we think we should.  Our guard play will keep a lid on our success and we have nobody lined up coming in to fix this.  Basketball has become a "positionless" game, but a team still needs a primary ball handler with great IQ and skills.  Until we have the player(s) we will continue to be what we have been.  Ironically, I figured CAM would be a huge recruiter of point guards.  I don't see how we will be better measurably better next year.... year four!!! I like our recruits, but nobody coming in will have the impact that TJD has had, and there is no Romeo walking through the door(who I think was not just limited by injury, but also by lack of quality guard play). I don't think it should go unnoticed that our only recent program "success" with 2 Big Ten conference championships were lead by Yogi at point.  Without him, we have really done nothing.  

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I just can't get over TJD getting zero post touches in an entire half of hoops. Should never happen in any style or type of game. Still in shock we just kept taking the bait which is the Wisconsin way of forcing an opponent into jacking up jumpers in the spots they want knowing you can't shoot.

That is the frustrating part for me.  Before the season, Archie spoke of us playing "old school" style and not being a 3-pointer team, yet after following the game plan and building a nice lead, we revert back to alley ball.

We are NOT a good 3-point shooting team, yet every player seems to think they are and have "the green light".  Our lone player capable of getting hot from beyond the arc is erratic (to say the least) and prone to opening the door for our opponent to go on a run.  I hope our failure to go inside was just players making bad decisions and straying from what the coach instructed (and THAT is a problem).  If not we have an even bigger problem.

This is where Rob's injuries have really affected our success.  It's obvious he still isn't 100 percent, and his conditioning doesn't allow him to play extended minutes.  Just look at how short he was on both technical foul attempts as an example of no legs.

We played most of the game yesterday with two guards.  One a freshman who has exceeded my expectations this year, but is still a freshman.  The other is Devonte.   Unfortunately we got 80/20 bad to good Devonte yesterday.  He just seems to play so much better off the ball.  Having Al or Rob handle the ball would've been a game changer.

Agree with most the guard situation now and going forward is concerning.  Hope Rob can get healthy, and Archie adds a grad transfer or reclassify to the class in the spring.

9 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Thanks for picking my one overdramatic post to quote.  8 pages and you choose this one.   Not the one where I said I was being overdramatic and thought we needed a plan from the too down.  But you be you

Lol I be me. 

So your post was the one I read on the last page at the time, but yeah, overly dramatic is right.

25 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Does anyone really think IU basketball will ever be Elite again?  I don’t see it.  We are the 3rd best program in Indiana and that’s debatable.  1.Purdue 2. Butler and I would almost put ND ahead of us.  Sucks....

More of the overly dramatic. Funny we just beat ND but whatever. 

This is year 3 under CAM. It's still a work in progress. Whether we become elite again is not going to be determined this year. 

Not quoting you to to point to you in particular, I just don't get the jump off the cliff reactions every time we lose. Lighten up Francis.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

More of the overly dramatic. Funny we just beat ND but whatever. 

This is year 3 under CAM. It's still a work in progress. Whether we become elite again is not going to be determined this year. 

Not quoting you to to point to you in particular, I just don't get the jump off the cliff reactions every time we lose. Lighten up Francis.

When is going to be determined. Look to have the same issues in year 4. And just embarrassed ourselves badly in front of needed year 5 recruits. 

6 year rebuild?  I’m curious in what year do the guys learn to pass it to their best player?

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You know you’re my guy but you have no idea what Donovan  would do if we put ten years and $85 million in front of him when his OKC team is in the crapper. We’ve never done that.  Regardless, there are lots of accomplished guys you could throw money at.  There are guys who’d chortle at 6 years for $18 M.   But you could get their attention by setting the next big price.  

Long Duk Dong is not crazy. Bama was down and they went all in on Saban. Football has different economics but IU has the ability to take a similar approach.  They just don’t have the will.  

You lost me at Long Duk Dong is not crazy. 😁

Being a little more serious, Stevens is absolute fantasy land. He is of course doing very well with the C's, and the reasons he left college ball haven't changed. Donovan? I can't say I know, but while he's now going through a rebuilding year after PG and Westbrook's departures, he's a highly paid, successful NBA coach who doesn't have to play the NCAA recruiting game, etc., and it's not like he's on the hot seat in OKC. I see no realistic possibility of his leaving the NBA to coach IU.

But my real take here is that this is year 3 with a still young coach in CAM, who led Dayton to 4 consecutive NCAA appearances, and who, in fairness and removing the frustration of losing a game we shouldn't have lost in the second half, CLEARLY can coach, and who has already brought in several highly ranked and very, very good players. 

Like it or not, CAM is still getting his full team / recruiting in place. It's fair to say we just succeed this season -- and we still might be a tourney team, that was one (1) bad loss -- but it may not be until next year, that's just how it is, and everyone calling out for a new coaching search after one bad loss is just fandom run crazy. That is, it's IU fandom at its usual best.

43 minutes ago, Iuhoopsfan said:

The guard play is awful.  Poor decision making, turnovers, and not getting the bigs the ball.  IU desperately needs a star PG in the next class.  

This is where I’m at. Like I’ve said, I’m not wavering yet on Archie’s ability to coach, though the insistence to stay big has had me scratching my head. But, we need some elite guards and playmakers, and some shooters, and I don’t see any in the pipeline and he’s missed on several.  

I try not to be a pessimist but I just dont see us turning the corner any time soon. CTC was killed for his lack of team construction,  no seeing any upgrade in that dept. Ar least we could shoot the ball. I dont care where we find them Blackford high school to Siberia IDC just find some guys that can shoot. On to the next one

Archived