Arkansas post game

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

Roster management is 100% on the coach.  Did we all not know we needed guards and shooters last year?  And yet we added only one guard.  And left an OPEN scholarship on the table to boot.  Hell Archie didn't1 even have to "Crean" any of Crean's players to add a shooter.  And Archie was a guard for goodness sake.  He should have known better.

Go Hoosiers!!!

i mean to try to see both sides of it, sure, i can argue against myself that Arch didn't have a lot of choices.  RP not being RP is killer all season long.  Al gets kicked out.  can't see that coming.  in the same night Green loses his mind.  tough combinations, but seriously go with Franklin and RP and hope for the best if Green is doing that crap.  or somehow figure out how to get him to do what you want him to do.  maybe head butt him?  choke him?  i don't know.  

6 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Roster management is 100% on the coach.  Did we all not know we needed guards and shooters last year?  And yet we added only one guard.  And left an OPEN scholarship on the table to boot.  Hell Archie didn't1 even have to "Crean" any of Crean's players to add a shooter.  And Archie was a guard for goodness sake.  He should have known better.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Look at the recruiting page...it's littered with guys we were on and missed on...speaking in general terms on the subject may be the easiest way, but doesn't support your argument very well.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i mean to try to see both sides of it, sure, i can argue against myself that Arch didn't have a lot of choices.  RP not being RP is killer all season long.  Al gets kicked out.  can't see that coming.  in the same night Green loses his mind.  tough combinations, but seriously go with Franklin and RP and hope for the best if Green is doing that crap.  or somehow figure out how to get him to do what you want him to do.  maybe head butt him?  choke him?  i don't know.  

Oh I agree.  How Archie(a pretty decent guard himself in the day) could watch that crap from the side and not call a timeout and slam some clipboards or something.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

This is the 4th or 5th year in theblast 10 IU has not had a player that is a reliable outside threat.  In the state we live in, that is almost impressive to not be able to find a kid that can shoot.  At this point, i almost dont care if he can guard a chair or not!  Find some fringe power 5 talent that doesnt miss (height be darned) and get him on the team.  Run him thru as many screens as it takes to get him open or feed  your big guy (TJD this means you) until they start double teaming him and then kick it out.  Hell, at least the other team would have to remember he was out there.  I mean GOOD LORD, all the kids wana be Steph Curry now, how do we keep getting the ones that cant shoot!?! 

Maybe Leal and Galloway will be able to make some shots next year.  We dont need them to be the 2nd comming of Larry Bird or Reggie Miller.....but can we get a Ziesloft or Hulls?? 🙏🙏

3 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

This is the 4th or 5th year in theblast 10 IU has not had a player that is a reliable outside threat.  In the state we live in, that is almost impressive to not be able to find a kid that can shoot.  At this point, i almost dont care if he can guard a chair or not!  Find some fringe power 5 talent that doesnt miss (height be darned) and get him on the team.  Run him thru as many screens as it takes to get him open or feed  your big guy (TJD this means you) until they start double teaming him and then kick it out.  Hell, at least the other team would have to remember he was out there.  I mean GOOD LORD, all the kids wana be Steph Curry now, how do we keep getting the ones that cant shoot!?! 

Maybe Leal and Galloway will be able to make some shots next year.  We dont need them to be the 2nd comming of Larry Bird or Reggie Miller.....but can we get a Ziesloft or Hulls?? 🙏🙏

true, but if they are Hulls and Zeisloft and we have no TJD, how good will we be?  love to have Hulls and Zeisloft when we have Watford, Dipo, Zeller, and Yogi.  not sure how much difference Hulls and Zeisloft would make alongside Smith, Brunk, and RP? 

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ok...names...you can't just say "grad transfer" and justify that as an answer...

Recruiting is a major aspect of coaching. We needed a shooter and PG, did not get either, and have two open scholarships. That is not optimal. 

We gave Crean crap for not having back-up plans......

Just now, IUFLA said:

Look at the recruiting page...it's littered with guys we were on and missed on...speaking in general terms on the subject may be the easiest way, but doesn't support your argument very well.

Why is he missing though?   Archie gets paid big bucks to coach and recruiting is part of the job.   Maybe he spent too much time chasing Brooks.  Idk.  Hell I don't want him throwing out scholarship offers like Crean.  But it sure would be nice if he had some backup targets lined up when he misses.   I'd have been happy with a slow 2 or 3 star shooter that could come in and drain a couple 3s in the clutch.

Go Hoosiers!!!

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

true, but if they are Hulls and Zeisloft and we have no TJD, how good will we be?  love to have Hulls and Zeisloft when we have Watford, Dipo, Zeller, and Yogi.  not sure how much difference Hulls and Zeisloft would make alongside Smith, Brunk, and RP? 

But we do have TJD.  it's not like to get a shooter we had to pass on TJD.  Every time this year we shoot a 3 I say oh hell. If if goes in I am a little surprised.  There should be someone on the roster that when shoot you assume a make and surprised when he misses. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

How is it on him? He has 4 scholarship guards. One of them got tossed for a stupid move. One has participated in 1/5th of our practices this year. One is a freshman and is, as freshmen tend to be, inconsistent. Who was he supposed to play? Walk-ons? 

Green played a lot of minutes through neccessity. If Archie had other options, he would have used them.

Wasn’t Archie a point guard at a high major D1 program in a conference with two blue bloods?  You would think that coaching guards would be his specialty....obviously not

11 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

I gave you one off the top of my head with zero research. Little brothers is averaging 12 per

If we so desperately need 3 point shooters is a 27% 3 point shooter the answer? He would have lended backcourt depth, I'll hand you that.

Funny how during the off season Miller was lauded for not doing the Crean thing by offering schollies to any and everyone, but now any and everyone is acceptable.

Just now, IUFLA said:

If we so desperately need 3 point shooters is a 27% 3 point shooter the answer? He would have lended backcourt depth, I'll hand you that.

Funny how during the off season Miller was lauded for not doing the Crean thing by offering schollies to any and everyone, but now any and everyone is acceptable.

Scott is that you? :coffee:

2 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Wasn’t Archie a point guard at a high major D1 program in a conference with two blue bloods?  You would think that coaching guards would be his specialty....obviously not

Yes, and so was Mike Krzyzewski, and I can guarantee that every scholarship guard he has coached hasn't turned out to be a serviceable player.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

How is it on him? He has 4 scholarship guards. One of them got tossed for a stupid move. One has participated in 1/5th of our practices this year. One is a freshman and is, as freshmen tend to be, inconsistent. Who was he supposed to play? Walk-ons? 

Green played a lot of minutes through neccessity. If Archie had other options, he would have used them.

We have scholarships sitting unfilled.  There were several of us moron, non-coaches, who called guard play as being a glaring issue with this team over the summer (along with shooting).  We failed to address those needs with this class.

Sorry, if Miller does not have other option in year 3, that is on him.  Particularly when he has not used up the full allotment of scholarships available to him.  I am not a million dollar basketball coach and I was begging for more guards and shooting over the summer...as were others.

When TJD leaves next year who does the offense go through?  We have no outside shooting coming in and no burger boy stud to replace TJD. We are staring down possibly a worse year next season. Brunk, Smith, and Phinisee aren’t going to cut it...good guys but not enough to carry a team. But on the flip side, maybe Arch is missing on all these guys because recruits aren’t sold on the program. It doesn’t sell itself anymore. Not making the tournament year after year won’t get you top recruits to get the program rolling again...

24 minutes ago, IUfan93 said:

When TJD leaves next year who does the offense go through?  We have no outside shooting coming in and no burger boy stud to replace TJD. We are staring down possibly a worse year next season. Brunk, Smith, and Phinisee aren’t going to cut it...good guys but not enough to carry a team. But on the flip side, maybe Arch is missing on all these guys because recruits aren’t sold on the program. It doesn’t sell itself anymore. Not making the tournament year after year won’t get you top recruits to get the program rolling again...

I see TJD staying for 2 years but I dont see us being better next year either. If we are counting on incoming freshman to be major contributors we are in big time trouble 

Sorry misread your post

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I see TJD staying for 2 years but I dont see us being better next year either. If we are counting on incoming freshman to be major contributors we are in big time trouble 

Sorry misread your post

I hope you are right. I originally thought he’d be a two year player but seems like many think he’s leaving if he gets the opportunity after this season. Can’t say I’d blame him but that really would be a huge hole we currently would not be able to fill...

Archived