Arkansas post game

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Based on what?  He hasn’t proven a damn thing to support your view.  

He has not had time to prove one way or the other if he will turn it around.  Everyone on here loves Holtsman but his resume was not better than Archies was before he went to OSU.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think Saban has ever coached basketball but why not.  Again who is the Saban out there to pry away that would be available and willing to change jobs.

You don’t know who isn’t available if you put Self, Calipari, K money on the table.  IU put a third of that out like they are shopping at Kmart.  And they attracted a coach commensurate with that.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

From what I saw yesterday Kauffman is not a low post player

Kaufman has very good footwork and has a soft touch around the rim.  He gets the crap beat out of him when he goes down low and faces constant double and triple teams.  He also had double figure rebounds in both games yesterday.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You don’t know who isn’t available if you put Self, Calipari, K money on the table.  IU put a third of that out like they are shopping at Kmart.  And they attracted a coach commensurate with that.  

I can't guarantee anything but I still don't think you can lure an established coach from a top program who would be considered a home run hire.

Just now, IU Scott said:

He has not had time to prove one way or the other if he will turn it around.  Everyone on here loves Holtsman but his resume was not better than Archies was before he went to OSU.

He needs more time but so far he’s shown more negatives than positives.  I’d be happy if he turns it around and goes 12-8 or better in the B1G and starts having solutions.  But if he comes out with something like 8-12, then he will be coaching next year with alarm bells around him.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kaufman has very good footwork and has a soft touch around the rim.  He gets the crap beat out of him when he goes down low and faces constant double and triple teams.  He also had double figure rebounds in both games yesterday.  

I think he eventually can be but right now is not that physical but I just saw him in two games.  He does have a nice touch from 3 and probably be our best shooter right now.  I can't believe he had double figure rebound sin that first game because it seemed like they were getting beat bad on the offensive glass.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He needs more time but so far he’s shown more negatives than positives.  I’d be happy if he turns it around and goes 12-8 or better in the B1G and starts having solutions.  But if he comes out with something like 8-12, then he will be coaching next year with alarm bells around him.  

Well why not let the season play out instead of over reacting to one loss because right now we don't know what will play out.

Ok, nice chatting with you guys.  Bad loss today.  I’ve got work in the morning.  

We all hope Archie grows and we turn it around.  When we were up ten and Green launched an ill advised shot, I’d hope Archie would pull him and give him a lecture.  I’d also hope Archie spends more time on smart play in different situations in practice.  Our guys were so dumb you have to question that.  Every possession is precious.   We don’t play like it is.  

Archie tends to stick with things and coach with the carrot not the stick.  He got out coached and lost a game that never should have happened.  I am just going to repeat myself so I will reconvene with you guys later.  

This AD hire will be something to study and scrutinize.  If we want a turnaround, we need to start there.  More on this going forward I am sure.  This will be critical.  I hope we don’t just jump on an expedient hire like an IU guy just because of that.  

38 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't know but when you start throwing 10mila year around, people will listen including Stevens and Donovan just as examples. These aren't the only 2.

I mean seriously? Fantasy land. No, Stevens is not leaving the Celtics tovreturn to college let alone at IU and no Donovan is not walking from the NBA to come to IU. Why persist in this silliness? 

IU blows a first half lead and here we go again with the clap trap about oh my God we need a new coach, oh no we’re horrible, oh dear Lord save us. 

It’s so incredibly ridiculous. And unfortunately so predictable 

One more thing. I have told this story before but I have a friend who’s husband is in athletics administration at a school with good football and basketball . A few years ago at a Christmas party I told him I was an IU guy.  He grimaced and with drinks flowing he went on and on that IU’s reputation is that it is very cheap on athletics especially in relation to salaries.

He said its not that they can’t pay.  It’s that they are cheap.  They just aren’t going to do it.  This is straight from a competing administrator.  He told me we wouldn’t be a high level factor for the foreseeable future with emphasis on basketball.  He also said that this is all well known in the administration community and widely believed.  It’s not just what he thinks but IU’s reputation.  

At the time, I didn’t believe him but everything he has said has turned out to be true.  Until this changes, my friend can give me an I told you so.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I mean seriously? Fantasy land. No, Stevens is not leaving the Celtics tovreturn to college let alone at IU and no Donovan is not walking from the NBA to come to IU. Why persist in this silliness? 

IU blows a first half lead and here we go again with the clap trap about oh my God we need a new coach, oh no we’re horrible, oh dear Lord save us. 

If it makes you feel better, my fantasies involve Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johannson instead of Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan.  

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thanks for picking my one overdramatic post to quote.  8 pages and you choose this one.   Not the one where I said I was being overdramatic and thought we needed a plan from the too down.  But you be you

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

If somehow we could get Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan, then I'm on board. I don't know of any other plausible candidate that is clearly better than what we have. And those two probably aren't actually plausible. If we made fts or 3's, we win. You don't win many games shooting the way we did tonight. 

Archie’s teams have shot like this since he got here....there has been little to no improvement since his arrival.  That may be a hard pill to swallow but it is true

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You know you’re my guy but you have no idea what Donovan  would do if we put ten years and $85 million in front of him when his OKC team is in the crapper. We’ve never done that.  Regardless, there are lots of accomplished guys you could throw money at.  There are guys who’d chortle at 6 years for $18 M.   But you could get their attention by setting the next big price.  

Long Duk Dong is not crazy. Bama was down and they went all in on Saban. Football has different economics but IU has the ability to take a similar approach.  They just don’t have the will.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You know you’re my guy but you have no idea what Donovan  would do if we put ten years and $85 million in front of him when his OKC team is in the crapper. We’ve never done that.  Regardless, there are lots of accomplished guys you could throw money at.  There are guys who’d chortle at 6 years for $18 M.   But you could get their attention by setting the next big price.  

Long Duk Dong is not crazy. Bama was down and they went all in on Saban. Football has different economics but IU has the ability to take a similar approach.  They just don’t have the will.  

Some coaches grow tired of all the recruiting crap and all the things that come with being a college coach.  Money won’t change that. 

1 minute ago, IU247 said:

Some coaches grow tired of all the recruiting crap and all the things that come with being a college coach.  Money won’t change that. 

Ignoring Stevens and Donovan.  You can entice high level talent with high level salary.

I should have never brought Stevens and Donovan up.  It was my mistake and I derailed any good discussion

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

One more thing. I have told this story before but I have a friend who’s husband is in athletics administration at a school with good football and basketball . A few years ago at a Christmas party I told him I was an IU guy.  He grimaced and with drinks flowing he went on and on that IU’s reputation is that it is very cheap on athletics especially in relation to salaries.

He said its not that they can’t pay.  It’s that they are cheap.  They just aren’t going to do it.  This is straight from a competing administrator.  He told me we wouldn’t be a high level factor for the foreseeable future with emphasis on basketball.  He also said that this is all well known in the administration community and widely believed.  It’s not just what he thinks but IU’s reputation.  

At the time, I didn’t believe him but everything he has said has turned out to be true.  Until this changes, my friend can give me an I told you so.  

I don't understand what has turned out to be true. I believe Archie is the 12th highest paid coach in the game. How is that us being cheap with salaries?

Archived