Three point shooting back to last year's percentage

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

For like the hundreth time, we need shooting on the wing. We really need shooting on the wing. How many different ways can this be said, lol

I said exactly that on the radio last week.  For me, a consistent, reliable emergence by either Hunter or Anderson could make or break this season.  Personally I'd prefer that it be Hunter because he is more versatile on both ends.

56 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
After a respectable start, Indiana is shooting about the same percentage as last year from three point range, and an all-too-familiar defensive scheme to slow down the Hoosiers has emerged.

Not a surprise we brought in no shooters to address the issue. I was told all summer the guys we had would improve and to not worry. Well they didn't improve. And Anderson is not the lights out shooter he was advertised as. Not ever close. We won't be a hard team to beat as teams will just pack the paint.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Personally I'd prefer that it be Hunter because he is more versatile on both ends.

Just a personal opinion, but I thought that even though Damezi had a poor shooting night (0-3) his defense was, for the most part pretty good, and he had 5 boards, a block and a steal...he seems more energized on defense too...

I think both he and Hunter could be more effective inside scorers than they've shown too...Hunter has a nice little 10-12 foot fadeaway that he's scored on s couple of times...

But, both seem to want to hang out around the 3 point line a lot...and neither has been particularly successful from there...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just a personal opinion, but I thought that even though Damezi had a poor shooting night (0-3) his defense was, for the most part pretty good, and he had 5 boards, a block and a steal...he seems more energized on defense too...

I think both he and Hunter could be more effective inside scorers than they've shown too...Hunter has a nice little 10-12 foot fadeaway that he's scored on s couple of times...

But, both seem to want to hang out around the 3 point line a lot...and neither has been particularly successful from there...

Damezi is one dimensional offensively right now. Anytime he gets the ball he’s looking to pass unless he’s behind the three point line.  Hunter on the other hand has shown the potential to be a well rounded threat.

28 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Damezi is one dimensional offensively right now. Anytime he gets the ball he’s looking to pass unless he’s behind the three point line.  Hunter on the other hand has shown the potential to be a well rounded threat.

Strikingly similar numbers for the 2...

image001.png

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Strikingly similar numbers for the 2...

image001.png

It’s much more effective to use the eye test. It’s easy to envision a seasoned Hunter posting a smaller guard or wing in a mismatch. He’s comfortable dribbling in the post or anywhere else for that matter. That potential gets me excited. Damezi? I don’t see it... yet. Would love to see it develop though.

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

For like the hundreth time, we need shooting on the wing. We really need shooting on the wing. How many different ways can this be said, lol

TRUTH.

It's exasperating as a fan to see how glaring the issue is with apparently little sense of urgency to correct it. Last year's team and again this year's, remind me of the Noah Vonleh year - whatever good we had was lost by a lack of shooters.  Maybe it's too simplistic to say "go get good shooters", but geez, our opponents always seem to have them.

8 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

TRUTH.

It's exasperating as a fan to see how glaring the issue is with apparently little sense of urgency to correct it. Last year's team and again this year's, remind me of the Noah Vonleh year - whatever good we had was lost by a lack of shooters.  Maybe it's too simplistic to say "go get good shooters", but geez, our opponents always seem to have them.

Everyone else seems to have them.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

The best part is that this problem will persist next year because we once again didn’t address it. We got not bad shooters coming in but they aren’t great and they aren’t going to help from day 1 anyway

I disagree.  They will help from day one.. the last two seasons, freshman have been our best players.  The guys coming in will be on the floor early and often.

I agree none are lights out shooters

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

The best part is that this problem will persist next year because we once again didn’t address it. We got not bad shooters coming in but they aren’t great and they aren’t going to help from day 1 anyway

Archie is very Crean like in that he is stubborn.  He seems content on continuing his system no matter what even if he knows it won't likely work.  Like Crean he refuses to adapt.

19 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I disagree.  They will help from day one.. the last two seasons, freshman have been our best players.  The guys coming in will be on the floor early and often.

I agree none are lights out shooters

You do not know that and it is a pure guess. These are not top 30 impact players so we have no idea yet if they will be good enough to play. Anderson was a top 150 recruit and was totally lost last year on the court.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Counting on non 5 star freshmen to be contributors their freshmen year  is a recipe for disaster. 

Yeah almost always.  There's a slim chance we might have the next Aaron Henry but if not and any of our 3 freshman are in the top 8 of the rotation next season we're likely pretty bad.

4 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

Gosh is this true. The guy looks completely uncomfortable to do much of anything offensively. 

4 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

It’s much more effective to use the eye test. It’s easy to envision a seasoned Hunter posting a smaller guard or wing in a mismatch. He’s comfortable dribbling in the post or anywhere else for that matter. That potential gets me excited. Damezi? I don’t see it... yet. Would love to see it develop though.

We basketball laymen don't have the practiced eye of some, so we supplement what we see with data...

On 12/31/2019 at 10:16 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

This! This is my one big criticism on Archie this season. This big lineup is a recipe for disaster long term. It's just so, so easy to defend. In this day and age of basketball, you just can't have 3 players in the lineup that can't shoot from the perimeter, can't handle the ball and can't make plays from the perimeter. 

Against real talent, Justin Smith is not a wing. I love the way he's playing this year (under control, smart, hard and within himself), so wouldn't want him out of the lineup though. I also love a lot of what Brunk brings, but I think I'd start bringing him off the bench. Once any half decent coach adjusts, having all three of Smith, TJD and Brunk in together completely neuters their effectiveness.  Smith can't get to the rim, TJD and Brunk and can't get the ball on the block, and our guards/wings (who mostly can't shoot) can't get to the rim. 

Another failure, as you said many times in the non-con, was not getting Anderson and Hunter even more minutes. IU desperately needs those two, or at least one of them, to be reliable offensive contributors. 

IU needs to become quicker and more spaced offensively, and that can't happen once a coach adjusts to our non-shooting, non-playmaking, big lineup. Conference coaches will figure this our infinitely sooner than the our of conference coaches did. 

Archived