Next years recruits

OLDIUFAN

Gallaway, Geronimo,and Leah. I don’t know a lot about them. So what is it that each will hopefully bring to the floor. Are they great shooters, rebounders, ball handlers. What are they. 
We also have one open scholarship we can fill at this point. What is it that we really need to recruit. Guards, forwards, or center. No matter who we get they must be able to shoot and score . 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leal is a good, but not great, shooter.  Smart ballplayer.  Let's the game come to him.  Not an elite athlete, but plays good position defense.  

Galloway is hurt right now, so it's difficult to tell if his game has changed much from last season.  What I recall of him is he is tough.  Not afraid to mix it up and will compete hard against bigger players.  Not a great shooter, but knows how to score.

I know next to nothing about Geronimo, but heard he has a bit of Vic in him, so that;s a good thing.  

IMO none are impact players but can be very good 4-year players.  Galloway is not a scoring threat but will lead the team in floor burns.  5fouls wasn't exaggerating.  Galloway is tough and he'll crash the boards as hard as anyone.  Leal will get you more points but I think he's a streaky shooter.  But both Galloway and Leal can make huge strides if they really commit to time in the gym.  Only saw one game stream of Geronimo and it wasn't an eye popping performance and he was ejected late in the 4th quarter.  My observation is that he's not surrounded by a particularly good team so not sure his stats this season will really tell us much.  Some, not all, of Geronimo's games are streamed and you can see the schedule at:  https://www.sps.edu/athletics/livestream-schedule     You have to sign up for Livestream but it doesn't cost anything.  

I caution people to right off guys as not being good shooters while developing from high school to college. Sean McDermott for example was only a 34% 3 point shooter his senior year of high school. But he’s a career 41% 3 point shooter at Butler and probably to best shooter in the state. I know development has been an issue the last few years it seems but give the players a couple years first.

1 hour ago, Beowulf50 said:

Just curious.....how can you be a Division 1 basketball player in Indiana but can’t shoot the basketball??? Maybe your 7’ I don’t know but I do know if you are 6’ -6’9” you should be able to shoot the ball!! What is going on?????

I think CAM needs to seriously examine the strength and conditioning program. When RP barely grazes the front of the rim on two technical free throws, something isn’t right. Rubber arms? Tight tendons?

22 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think CAM needs to seriously examine the strength and conditioning program. When RP barely grazes the front of the rim on two technical free throws, something isn’t right. Rubber arms? Tight tendons?

Maybe participating in 1/5th of the practices all year had something to do with it...

The kid's an 85% ft shooter...he was gassed...

On 1/1/2020 at 6:48 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

It's not the strength and conditioning program. All of these programs are doing the same stuff. It's not like IU has some crazy strength and conditioning program and are doing things they're not doing at every other D1 program. 

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's not the strength and conditioning program. All of these programs are doing the same stuff. It's not like IU has some crazy strength and conditioning program and are doing things they're not doing at every other D1 program. 

I think a lot of these kids due to playing ball year round and even more so repetitive actions year round can cause stress on these kids bodies. That said I wish these kids had tendonitis in their shooting arms from so much practice!

I tweeted this out after the game (below). On a normal team, all 3 of our recruits might redshirt next year. However, with the makeup of our roster - I really think all 3 have a huge opportunity to get minutes. I know more about Leal and Galloway's game than I do Geronimo. I do think Geronimo has an opportunity as well just given his ability to spread the floor with his 3 point shooting as a forward. Think of Justin Smith bounce but with the ability to catch and shoot from the corner. 

Of the 3 I think Leal will get the most minutes. He is a good shooter and will become a great shooter. He just isn't consistent enough yet, but will be. Leal is a much better all around player than anyone wants to give him credit for. He's a good 6'5 and built well for a HS player. He can dribble and likes to push the break, both with the ball and without. He has toughness and Will Sheehey type moxy. He can catch and shoot, he can create his own shot off the dribble (very underrated in this aspect), and he can get to the rim. I really like his game. He also is more athletic than he is given credit for. Less so than Franklin, but he makes up for it with his shot. Hopefully his knee doesn't hinder him. 

Galloway is very much a similar player to Leal. However, he is a bit more of a SF than a SG in my opinion. They played well on the court together and off of each other this summer. Galloway looked to be a slightly less proficient shooter than Leal to me (although stats may prove different)... lets just say maybe Galloway is slightly more "Efficient" from 3, but can't quit hit some of the shots that Leal can. Galloway is a bit scrappier in the sense that he he's going to play inside slightly more and get some of those intangible plays. 

I know some people aren't high on them because they aren't 5 stars and don't consistently put up 29 per game. 

But I like them because they are just straight up smart, hard ass winners. They are what you think of when you think "hoosier basketball". 

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 8.31.05 AM.png

These guys sounds like program-building, culture-establishing guys who you win with.  May not be the go-to guys for awhile, but are the type of players that teams need in order to make some noise.  It would be great to have immediate impact players, but it doesn't look like we will have this for next year.  Imagine a guy like Romeo being added to a team with guys like this as our upperclassmen.  Our timeline for being a ranked team has to be pushed out, but it seems like these recruits are going to be a big part of building a getting us there.  I hope CAM will have the time to get there.  As much as we are tired of continually being 2-3 years away from winning, I at least think we can optimistic about these kind of players.

On 1/6/2020 at 4:01 PM, Indykev said:

Whats missing is a point guard in this class.

I am hoping Archie has his head on a swivel and is looking at bringing in an experienced guard maybe grad transfer like Mike Smith from Columbia as a PG. Also Gordon from DePaul would be pretty cool to get to replace Davis. 

Archived