2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  3 hours ago, rico said:

Bryant?

Thought I'd bring this one from this morning over...I don't think he's going anywhere just yet. I know the grievance he has in might have a affect on what the Cubs do with him, but if his free agency status remains at 2022, which I think it will, they'll hold onto him...at least until the trading deadline this year...

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:
  3 hours ago, rico said:

Bryant?

Thought I'd bring this one from this morning over...I don't think he's going anywhere just yet. I know the grievance he has in might have a affect on what the Cubs do with him, but if his free agency status remains at 2022, which I think it will, they'll hold onto him...at least until the trading deadline this year...

Just my 2 cents but the way the wind is blowing I wouldn't be shocked if Bryant is dealt after the grievance situation is figured out. Nats, Braves, and Red Sox been snooping around. Red Sox are in similar deal with luxury tax. If I thought the Cubs were more than likely to lose Bryant I would trade him to Red Sox for Betts and another player. Bryant has 2 years of service while Betts has only 1. We get 1 year of Betts plus another player and take the $ after dumping a couple of contracts Castellanos. I could live with that for one year....if and this is the big if I thought Bryant was leaving in 2 years.

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my 2 cents but the way the wind is blowing I wouldn't be shocked if Bryant is dealt after the grievance situation is figured out. Nats, Braves, and Red Sox been snooping around. Red Sox are in similar deal with luxury tax. If I thought the Cubs were more than likely to lose Bryant I would trade him to Red Sox for Betts and another player. Bryant has 2 years of service while Betts has only 1. We get 1 year of Betts plus another player and take the $ after dumping a couple of contracts Castellanos. I could live with that for one year....if and this is the big if I thought Bryant was leaving in 2 years.

I understand what you're saying. If we could get Betts in the manner you describe, I'm ok with that. But if we're looking to start replenishing the farm system, and get some young arms, I'd say wait until the trade deadline. Better "fishing" then I think...

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand what you're saying. If we could get Betts in the manner you describe, I'm ok with that. But if we're looking to start replenishing the farm system, and get some young arms, I'd say wait until the trade deadline. Better "fishing" then I think...

I think it comes down to if the Cubs feel they can win with the current roster.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think it comes down to if the Cubs feel they can win with the current roster.  

I think you're right. They want to see if Ross can do what Maddon couldn't with what most see as an abundance of talent.

I'm worried about the pitching though. Lester is a little long in the tooth and was inconsistent last year. Seemed to wear down as the season went along. Darvish should be ok, but he's inconsistent as well. Hendricks is pretty reliable, as is Quintana, but they're both middle of the rotation guys...who #5 is remains to be seen...

I think the bullpen will be better. Kimbrel should benefit from a full spring training, and I saw where Morrow resigned. He'd be a great setup guy if he can get his form back.

Cautiously optimistic...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think you're right. They want to see if Ross can do what Maddon couldn't with what most see as an abundance of talent.

I'm worried about the pitching though. Lester is a little long in the tooth and was inconsistent last year. Seemed to wear down as the season went along. Darvish should be ok, but he's inconsistent as well. Hendricks is pretty reliable, as is Quintana, but they're both middle of the rotation guys...who #5 is remains to be seen...

I think the bullpen will be better. Kimbrel should benefit from a full spring training, and I saw where Morrow resigned. He'd be a great setup guy if he can get his form back.

Cautiously optimistic...

Personally, I think that is the wise approach to take.  See where you stand come the AS break and then act accordingly.

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Cautiously optimistic...

Time will tell. I know your thoughts on Maddon and I'm sure you know my mine. Maddon so far is the greatest manager the Cubs have ever had. Until Ross can deliver a title and 4 straight playoff appearances, 2 NLCS,etc.....he'll be a step down.

With that said I believe the last 2 years of "failure" has been squarely on the players. Maybe a new approach or voice will work. Seemed to help the 2002 Hoosiers.....but we saw what happened with a coach with zero head coaching experience. Might work on the short but not on the long.  Hopefully it doesn't work that way with Ross.

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Time will tell. I know your thoughts on Maddon and I'm sure you know my mine. Maddon so far is the greatest manager the Cubs have ever had. Until Ross can deliver a title and 4 straight playoff appearances, 2 NLCS,etc.....he'll be a step down.

With that said I believe the last 2 years of "failure" has been squarely on the players. Maybe a new approach or voice will work. Seemed to help the 2002 Hoosiers.....but we saw what happened with a coach with zero head coaching experience. Might work on the short but not on the long.  Hopefully it doesn't work that way with Ross.

Your post about Maddon being the greatest got me curious, so I looked it up.

Can someone tell me what in the world the Cubs were doing in 1961 when they changed managers 8 times?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chicago_Cubs_managers

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can someone tell me what in the world the Cubs were doing in 1961 when they changed managers 8 times?

College of Coaches season I believe for 2 or 3 seasons. You can google or wiki but just another in Cubs history. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

College of Coaches season I believe for 2 or 3 seasons. You can google or wiki but just another in Cubs history. 

Yeah, the good old college of coaches...like at that time Cubs opponents didn't have enough to laugh about...

The list of Cubs managers over my lifetime is almost as illustrious as the list of Bears quarterbacks, post Sid Luckman...

15 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Wow! Just saw where Yankees pitcher, Domingo German has been suspended for 63 games!

He already missed 18 games from the end of last season and could have been a difference maker in the playoffs.....

Better hope he doesn't get popped again.

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Did anyone advise Old Man Wrigley to put the little glass pipe away?

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Reds obviously don't believe in Aquino if they are still pursuing outfielders.

I think the Reds can't depend on Winker or Senzel can stay healthy for a full season.  I would like to trade both of them and more prospects to the Indians for Lindor and sign Ozuna.

1) Shagoo(sp)? from Japan- CF

2) Votto- 1B

3) Lindor- SS

4) Suarez- 3B

5) Moustakas- 2B

6) Ozuna- LF

7) Aquino- RF

8) Barnhart- C

Archived