2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You have t wonder if that makes the Cards try to go back to the table for Arenado with a sweeter package...

Gotta replace 29 HRs and 89 RBI some way...

The Cards have a true and tried recipe for replacing a player...it is called pixie dust!

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Speaking of the Hall of Fame vote.  Who the hell voted for JJ Putz?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28533311/derek-jeter-larry-walker-elected-baseball-hall-fame

Maybe I need to dive into his numbers more but guys like Walker getting in is because some of these voters refuse to vote for Bonds, Clemens,etc.....and playing 81 home games in Denver doesn't hurt either. Maybe I'll think differently when looking at stats more closely but to me he isn't HOF.

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe I need to dive into his numbers more but guys like Walker getting in is because some of these voters refuse to vote for Bonds, Clemens,etc.....and playing 81 home games in Denver doesn't hurt either. Maybe I'll think differently when looking at stats more closely but to me he isn't HOF.

Just a quick look at the numbers backs your assessment up...a lot...

Lifetime BA Home .348

Away .278

HR Home 215

Away 168

RBI Home 747

Away 564

And this is with more plate appearances on the road than at home.

By teams he played for

Col (10 years) .334 258 848

Mon (6 years) .281 99 384

Stl (2 years) .286 26 79

Averaged out for HR and RBI (per year)

Col 26 HR 84 RBI

Mon 17 HR 64 RBI

Stl 13 HR 40 RBI

I know his prime was in Colorado...

But to me, good hitter, excellent fielder, but a little short as far as HOF goes

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Walker's career WAR is actually higher than Jeter's.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Interesting article on Walker's HOF cred

I thought this was particularly interesting

Screenshot_20200122-084518.png

Thanks for these stats. Kind of confirms what I was thinking. Good to sometimes great player but HOF? I've always thought whether football or baseball if you hesitate when someone says are they hall of fame worthy.....they probably aren't. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Out of curiosity, what were Larry's JAWS?

10th all time among right fielders.  Better than 16 other right fielders that are in Hall (number does not count players that made HOF based more on managerial success).  

Better than Gwynn, Winfield, Guerrerro, Shoeless Joe, and Ichiro, among others.  

And, if you look beyond offense, Walker was a very good defensive outfielder as well.  

And, assuming he was not roiding in that era like many others were, his stats look even better.  More doubles, home runs, and ribbies than Roberto Clemente.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for these stats. Kind of confirms what I was thinking. Good to sometimes great player but HOF? I've always thought whether football or baseball if you hesitate when someone says are they hall of fame worthy.....they probably aren't. 

Sometimes players are benefactors of their home parks.  But I have looked over Walker's stats...the advanced metrics say he belongs.  He doesn't pass my eye test, but none the less.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

10th all time among right fielders.  Better than 16 other right fielders that are in Hall (number does not count players that made HOF based more on managerial success).  

Better than Gwynn, Winfield, Guerrerro, Shoeless Joe, and Ichiro, among others.  

And, if you look beyond offense, Walker was a very good defensive outfielder as well.  

And, assuming he was not roiding in that era like many others were, his stats look even better.  More doubles, home runs, and ribbies than Roberto Clemente.

Yeah, I saw those stats(looked them up).  TY

How many pitchers are in the Hall because of playing in a pitcher's park or during the dead ball era?  

How many Red Sox hitters benefitted from the Green Monster?  

How many Yankees players are in the Hall because they were Yankees and not Washington Senators?

Etc, etc, etc.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

CBS Sports reporting the Cubs are looking at Jacoby Ellsbury for a spot in CF...

He hasn't played since 2017 due to injury (hip/foot)...

We're picking the scrapheap clean...

Until KB's grievance deal is done I think you'll hear plenty of names with Cubs. Just not sure why the grievance is taking so long to begin with. It's a rule that was voted for and approved by MLB Union. Teams can use that rule to their benefit. Simple contract law imo....but the longer this goes the more harm it causes Cubs. Won't be able to make any deals....if that was the plan to begin with.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Until KB's grievance deal is done I think you'll hear plenty of names with Cubs. Just not sure why the grievance is taking so long to begin with. It's a rule that was voted for and approved by MLB Union. Teams can use that rule to their benefit. Simple contract law imo....but the longer this goes the more harm it causes Cubs. Won't be able to make any deals....if that was the plan to begin with.

I see no reason why the Cubs shouldn't just stay status qua for now.  Said it before.  See how the new manager does opening the season and go from there as far as acquisitions/trades.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I see no reason why the Cubs shouldn't just stay status qua for now.  Said it before.  See how the new manager does opening the season and go from there as far as acquisitions/trades.  

I'm with you as far as the starting 8 goes...would like to see another starting pitcher though...

Archived