2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm with you as far as the starting 8 goes...would like to see another starting pitcher though...

As you and I have discussed...sometimes you just never know about those young arms.  The Cubs(management) could envision someone in the organization having a break-out year...hell, maybe 2 guys.  Their offense is there, but we shall see how their starting rotation pans out.  

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, rico said:

I see no reason why the Cubs shouldn't just stay status qua for now.  Said it before.  See how the new manager does opening the season and go from there as far as acquisitions/trades.  

Just my 2 cents but status quo (given the talent) has caused us to be barely above average baseball team since end of 2018. Theo is a patient guy but this core has got fat and happy (quote coming from Cubs Convention). I'm not interested in bringing the same guys back and just hoping they find it. We did that in 18 and 19 and here we are. To me a change is needed and I don't think that's coming just from new perspective of Ross.

One thing is certain after Cubs Con. Fans aren't in any mood at all right now with this core. If the team stumbles out of the gate the criticism is only going to intensify and could be a long summer on the North side. Talk radio, print, social media....I sense fans are ready to go tilt mode if changes aren't made. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

To me a change is needed and I don't think that's coming just from new perspective of Ross.

And I think this is where we differ. 

The talent wasn't being motivated. Now, I've said before that I thought Maddon was a good manager, but, like all managers, he has a shelf life with a certain team.

I do hope Ross steadies the lineup, both in the field and in the batting order. I was never a fan of all of the various lineups Joe ran out there...

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my 2 cents but status quo (given the talent) has caused us to be barely above average baseball team since end of 2018. Theo is a patient guy but this core has got fat and happy (quote coming from Cubs Convention). I'm not interested in bringing the same guys back and just hoping they find it. We did that in 18 and 19 and here we are. To me a change is needed and I don't think that's coming just from new perspective of Ross.

One thing is certain after Cubs Con. Fans aren't in any mood at all right now with this core. If the team stumbles out of the gate the criticism is only going to intensify and could be a long summer on the North side. Talk radio, print, social media....I sense fans are ready to go tilt mode if changes aren't made. 

I understand the frustration and the concern.  

Just now, IUFLA said:

And I think this is where we differ. 

The talent wasn't being motivated. Now, I've said before that I thought Maddon was a good manager, but, like all managers, he has a shelf life with a certain team.

I do hope Ross steadies the lineup, both in the field and in the batting order. I was never a fan of all of the various lineups Joe ran out there...

No leadoff hitter, no 2nd baseman, no centerfielder....those have to be addressed by Theo. Of course if we trade for Merrifield it's 2 birds one stone. 2nd baseman and everyday lead off hitter. Figure a way to sign Nick...put him in right and move Heyward to CF. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

I understand the frustration and the concern.  

And that's just on the field. New TV deal doesn't include Comcast, Rizzo said he wasn't going public about not getting a new deal but did say some negative comments....the money hasn't started flowing from that and it's already ticking people off, Ricketts has said cost projections for his Wrigleyville projects are off by about a billion and he says that has no impact on payroll but here we sit doing nothing.......whole lot of mess right now and if they think just bringing the same guys back is going to work? Welp...hello 85 wins max.

This whole team needs a jolt. Mostly the players. 

No leadoff hitter, no 2nd baseman, no centerfielder....those have to be addressed by Theo. Of course if we trade for Merrifield it's 2 birds one stone. 2nd baseman and everyday lead off hitter. Figure a way to sign Nick...put him in right and move Heyward to CF. 

I'd like to see Almora get another shot at leadoff and CF. I think the foul ball into the stands that hit the little girl screwed him up quite a bit..I know he wasn't burning it up before that, but he does have the tools...

And that's just on the field. New TV deal doesn't include Comcast, Rizzo said he wasn't going public about not getting a new deal but did say some negative comments....the money hasn't started flowing from that and it's already ticking people off, Ricketts has said cost projections for his Wrigleyville projects are off by about a billion and he says that has no impact on payroll but here we sit doing nothing.......whole lot of mess right now and if they think just bringing the same guys back is going to work? Welp...hello 85 wins max.

This whole team needs a jolt. Mostly the players. 

Has anybody thought that Rizzo might be the problem with the team?  Just a thought.

Just now, rico said:

Has anybody thought that Rizzo might be the problem with the team?  Just a thought.

I brought this idea up 2 years ago. He's the leader of our team....but somehow the message isn't being received by players. Chili Davis almost laughed at the idea of coaching these guys the one year he was with them. He said if players don't want to listen....not much you can do. We are barely above .500 going on 2 seasons. We'll see what happens I guess.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I brought this idea up 2 years ago. He's the leader of our team....but somehow the message isn't being received by players. Chili Davis almost laughed at the idea of coaching these guys the one year he was with them. He said if players don't want to listen....not much you can do. We are barely above .500 going on 2 seasons. We'll see what happens I guess.

My Cub buddy says to cut Anthony loose...he said that just a few weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

My Cub buddy says to cut Anthony loose...he said that just a few weeks ago.

Honestly I'm just hot air. I know the moves I want to do (Merrifield, Castellanos) but right now today I don't see how any move is being made until this grievance is finalized. I know the answer is not just bringing everyone back. Might be wrong but we've tried that approach for 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

No, go right ahead.  No point here.

I get it, you don't like me which is fine but why do you have to rag on every post of mine on here.  You post scores of High School games all the time which anyone on here has access to but I don't complain about those post.  This post was just for people info if they did not see it but I will ask you first the next time I want to post something.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I get it, you don't like me which is fine but why do you have to rag on every post of mine on here.  You post scores of High School games all the time which anyone on here has access to but I don't complain about those post.  This post was just for people info if they did not see it but I will ask you first the next time I want to post something.

You want to get into an argument with me..."old school" man?  Carry on.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There is not enough alcohol in the world.

I've been in some weird situations in my life thanks to Coors Light but usually draw the line at Rosie weight. 

Regarding baseball. Plenty of chirping coming from White Sox. Someone might want to mention to them they finished 28.5 games out of the AL Central last year.

Archived