2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bartman...

You know, I've gotta hand it to Steve. He could have cashed in big time for what he went through...but, he didn't...

If it was me, I might have accepted the offer to throw out the first pitch in 2017, wore the World Series ring the Cubs generously gave him on my middle finger, and after throwing the pitch, showed it to the crowd...

Trust me. I was pitchfork guy that night since I was in the upper deck above him. To reiterate your point kudos to the guy for how he handled. I probably would have done things differently myself including cashing in. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. I was pitchfork guy that night since I was in the upper deck above him. To reiterate your point kudos to the guy for how he handled. I probably would have done things differently myself including cashing in. 

Alex Gonzales should have a lifetime sentence as Bartman's personal valet...

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think the team with the losing record would have a much better chance of advancing in MLB than they do in the NBA.  Different dynamic.

I agree. That's why I am not completely against it. Maybe the Reds could make a playoff run that way. I like the reasoning behind it thought. At least according to Buster Olney the reasoning 

4 hours ago, rico said:

Rizzo has been talking all off season about $, contracts, keeping things in house with team but going on the radio the following day and talking about he's upset his deal hasn't been reworked. 

Perfect example of what's wrong in sports. Theo gave Rizzo 7 years/$41 Million early in his career because he saw the talent and potential. Rizzo is extremely underpaid now but he signed the contract. Rizzo now spends every minute with a mic in front of him talking how ownership is unfair. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Rizzo has been talking all off season about $, contracts, keeping things in house with team but going on the radio the following day and talking about he's upset his deal hasn't been reworked. 

Perfect example of what's wrong in sports. Theo gave Rizzo 7 years/$41 Million early in his career because he saw the talent and potential. Rizzo is extremely underpaid now but he signed the contract. Rizzo now spends every minute with a mic in front of him talking how ownership is unfair. 

I think you and I discussed this sometime ago...I have thought that Rizzo should be the odd man out with the Cubs.

Just now, rico said:

I think you and I discussed this sometime ago...I have thought that Rizzo should be the odd man out with the Cubs.

He very well could be. Don't know what to think about half our guys right now. I'm hearing comments that I like from players and comments that I don't. Hard to say or use the term fractured in February but I don't know if everyone is together right now. Could be a bumpy year.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He very well could be. Don't know what to think about half our guys right now. I'm hearing comments that I like from players and comments that I don't. Hard to say or use the term fractured in February but I don't know if everyone is together right now. Could be a bumpy year.

I think we are starting to see some of the dysfunction that is/was not because of Joe.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I think we are starting to see some of the dysfunction that is/was not because of Joe.

There's enough blame if that's the right word to go around. Joe's biggest fault is he believed in his players and the same players let him down. Now Joe isn't the lightning rod anymore and Ross is loved by fans. If things go sideways this year the players better be ready for the heat.

I know it's irrelevant in the larger conversation about salary caps and salaries, but the fans are never brought into the conversation. I know I've already bitched about it in this thread, but there will come the day when they price even upper middle class people out of actually going to a game.

I loved baseball when I was a kid. But I really started loving it when I went to my first MLB game. Crosley Field, Cincinnati, Bob Gibson vs Gary Nolan...10 innings with "The Ghost" hitting a solo shot off Ted Abernathy in the top half, and Gibson made it stand up...

And I think our tickets were 3 bucks apiece for lower level, down the first baseline. Dad's Huedepohl was 50 cents per...and I'd never saw grass so green...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know it's irrelevant in the larger conversation about salary caps and salaries, but the fans are never brought into the conversation. I know I've already bitched about it in this thread, but there will come the day when they price even upper middle class people out of actually going to a game.

I loved baseball when I was a kid. But I really started loving it when I went to my first MLB game. Crosley Field, Cincinnati, Bob Gibson vs Gary Nolan...10 innings with "The Ghost" hitting a solo shot off Ted Abernathy in the top half, and Gibson made it stand up...

And I think our tickets were 3 bucks apiece for lower level, down the first baseline. Dad's Huedepohl was 50 cents per...and I'd never saw grass so green...

All day long. Pricing people out has already happened in NFL and it's showing those signs of happening in certain MLB markets. Such a shame. 

A few years back I was listening to WLW and they were talking about Cincy's woeful attendance issues.  And one of the hosts had a novel idea that he said wouldn't work in every MLB city but it would work in Cincinnati.  Basically he said let the corporations buy their season tickets at the beginning of the season.  Let the people that want their reserved box seats buy their tickets at the beginning of the the season for the dates they want or whatever.  Let whoever else buy their "reserved" tickets at least a week before a game.  On game day tickets are $1 to everybody that wants to see a game that hasn't "reserved" anything in those windows.  His premise was that wouldn't it be better to have 40,000 people buying concessions as opposed to 10,000?  

3 minutes ago, rico said:

A few years back I was listening to WLW and they were talking about Cincy's woeful attendance issues.  And one of the hosts had a novel idea that he said wouldn't work in every MLB city but it would work in Cincinnati.  Basically he said let the corporations buy their season tickets at the beginning of the season.  Let the people that want their reserved box seats buy their tickets at the beginning of the the season for the dates they want or whatever.  Let whoever else buy their "reserved" tickets at least a week before a game.  On game day tickets are $1 to everybody that wants to see a game that hasn't "reserved" anything in those windows.  His premise was that wouldn't it be better to have 40,000 people buying concessions as opposed to 10,000?  

I always thought that is what IU football should do as well.

I was looking over the Reds non-roster invitees to ST and smiled when I saw Nick Lodolo got invited.  Heard so much about him last year as he was the 1st Rd pick(#7 OA) for Cincy last year out of TCU.  He is a SP and is LH.  He also stands 6-6.  After he signed he was assigned to Billings and then promoted to Dayton.  Small sample size in the minors but he went 0-1 in 8 starts combined.  He was on a pitch-count due to his full college season.  But in only 18 1/3 innings and posting a 0-1 record, he had a 2.45 ERA and 30 K's.  Oh and 0 BBs.

I will be curiously watching as to how the Reds deal with the young hurler.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:10 AM, Seeking6 said:

All day long. Pricing people out has already happened in NFL and it's showing those signs of happening in certain MLB markets. Such a shame. 

This is so true. My two kids are getting to the ages I want to start taking them to some NFL/MLB games but I will probably wait another year or two because it is hard justifying spending serious money when they still are preschool ages. I wish the Bears played in Indy this coming season as it would be a game I would spend $ on and be much cheaper than going to Chicago for us. We will probably take them to some Indianapolis Indians games this year to see how that goes.

59 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is so true. My two kids are getting to the ages I want to start taking them to some NFL/MLB games but I will probably wait another year or two because it is hard justifying spending serious money when they still are preschool ages. I wish the Bears played in Indy this coming season as it would be a game I would spend $ on and be much cheaper than going to Chicago for us. We will probably take them to some Indianapolis Indians games this year to see how that goes.

Indians are such a great value....especially for younger kids. Blanket out in left field on a summer night is just awesome. Better than dropping several hundred if not near thousand for 3-4 to go to a NFL game. We go to half a dozen or so Indians games each summer. Just a beautiful venue and honestly it costs less than a movie. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Indians are such a great value....especially for younger kids. Blanket out in left field on a summer night is just awesome. Better than dropping several hundred if not near thousand for 3-4 to go to a NFL game. We go to half a dozen or so Indians games each summer. Just a beautiful venue and honestly it costs less than a movie. 

Last year I took my son to the Reds game and got two tickets in right field and it cost $50.00 for both.  When I go to any game I try to eat before or after the game and only get drinks at a game so I don't spend a ridiculous amount of money going to the game.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. When we lived closer to Indy a few years back, we went to several Indians games a year. We lived in North Carolina for a couple years and went to several nice parks that were cheap out there as well. Since many on here are Cubs fans, if you have a chance and are near Gatlinburg, the Cubs AA team the Smokies play in Kodak and it is an extremely cool venue to watch a game. I used to go to Wrigley once/twice a season for years, when I lived in northwest Indiana, but have not made it back in several seasons. Hoping to take the family in a couple years up there...I can only imagine what that will run ha.

Anyone catch a glimpse of Astros BP yesterday? Fan in first row somehow beating a garbage can. Haha. Loooooooooooooooooong year for that crew. We are such a forgiving society I think most would move on if they handled their apology the right way. I get the sense Astros threw gas on a fire with how they handled this last week. 

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone catch a glimpse of Astros BP yesterday? Fan in first row somehow beating a garbage can. Haha. Loooooooooooooooooong year for that crew. We are such a forgiving society I think most would move on if they handled their apology the right way. I get the sense Astros threw gas on a fire with how they handled this last week. 

We shall see if the Astros handle "adversity" as well as the Pats did/have.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

We shall see if the Astros handle "adversity" as well as the Pats did/have.

Difference is the Patriots don't talk. Astros seem to be talking a bit much incorrectly. As you well know the old phrase of why do fish get caught? Because they open their mouth. Astros either need to shut it down....or figure out a way to control this mess which might be impossible at this point.

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I would love for an opposing pitcher to flash an index card with the upcoming pitch printed on it right before he starts his windup.  It only has to happen once, and be an obvious first pitch fastball type situation.  But, it would be a funny way to begin putting the scandal behind us.  

Archived