2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

I guess I just never knew. Fun fact for the day.

Today In 1973: Oakland A’s owner Charles O. Finley's experimental orange baseball is used in a spring training game for the first time! The idea is ultimately scrapped when batters complain that it's hard to see the seams of the ball.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I just never knew. Fun fact for the day.

Today In 1973: Oakland A’s owner Charles O. Finley's experimental orange baseball is used in a spring training game for the first time! The idea is ultimately scrapped when batters complain that it's hard to see the seams of the ball.

I remember that...he also wanted to cut the number of ball needed for a walk to 3, and the number of strikes needed for a strikeout to 2...

He and Bill Veeck were 2 really innovative guys, but about half of their ideas bordered on crackpot...

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I remember that...he also wanted to cut the number of ball needed for a walk to 3, and the number of strikes needed for a strikeout to 2...

He and Bill Veeck were 2 really innovative guys, but about half of their ideas bordered on crackpot...

He lived in LaPorte, IN...not far from me. He used to used to decorate his property at Christmas time and allow cars to drive through to look at them. Lots of former players used to visit him there, including Reggie Jackson. He visited the same fish market where my uncles friend worked every week and was a really nice guy. He signed a baseball for me I still have.

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do believe that Bill Veeck is the one that came up with the idea for ivy on the walls at Wrigley.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Those White Sox shorts unis are Aydens 2nd favorite behind the Astros and just ahead of the powder blue and maroon Phillies 

Have Ayden get a load of these two then...1916 NY Giants and 1919 Brooklyn Dodgers...

Screenshot_20200330-092453.png

Screenshot_20200330-092352~2.png

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Have Ayden get a load of these two then...1916 NY Giants and 1919 Brooklyn Dodgers...

Screenshot_20200330-092453.png

Screenshot_20200330-092352~2.png

He would love those.  Especially the Yankee ones. We had planned a summer trip to go see Field of Dreams in Iowa, not for the game but a visit. We visit a new ball park every summer to check off the Bucket list. Summer 2022 will be 10 days down East Coast to go to games at 3 or 4.maybe more. Awesome having baseball loving family.  Wife is the driving force on going to games. She loves it

35 minutes ago, rico said:

It reads like Lo Duca needs to let some things go because he sounds pretty angry/resentful still....almost jealous. Who cares if ARod rehabs his image? He'll never be looked at again from most baseball/sports fans without thinking about he cheated. That punishment never goes away. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It reads like Lo Duca needs to let some things go because he sounds pretty angry/resentful still....almost jealous. Who cares if ARod rehabs his image? He'll never be looked at again from most baseball/sports fans without thinking about he cheated. That punishment never goes away. 

I don't care one way or the other...I just love it when Yankees "fight" amongst themselves.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, rico said:

I loved those A's uniforms of the early 70's.

vida blue | 30-Year Old Cardboard | Page 3

Ah, Vida Blue...

I remember his magical year in 1971. That era was a great time to be a baseball fan. 

A lot of people forget, but he had a solid 17 year career in the bigs...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Ah, Vida Blue...

I remember his magical year in 1971. That era was a great time to be a baseball fan. 

And should have been a Red...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ah, Vida Blue...

Saw him pitch at Wrigley in 1985 after his year vacation. Didn't get to see him during his prime but as any baseball fall did back then....we studied the players before us.People (I think) forget how good and reliable Vida was. I think 3 20+ win seasons but to me he was always 30+ start guy every year...tons of innings pitched.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do remember something about that...didn't Bowie Kuhn (the worst baseball commissioner in my lifetime) intervene? 

Who were the Reds going to give up for him?

Kuhn nixed the deal saying it was not in the best interest of baseball.

I never heard who the Reds were going to give up other than they were considered marginal.  But I would assume that Dave Revering(hot minor leaguer) would have been part of the deal as he was traded to the A's anyway.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Kuhn nixed the deal saying it was not in the best interest of baseball.

I never heard who the Reds were going to give up other than they were considered marginal.  But I would assume that Dave Revering(hot minor leaguer) would have been part of the deal as he was traded to the A's anyway.

We'll, in my estimation Kuhn wasn't in the best interest of baseball either...

I remember Revering. I use to go to a lot of Indianapolis Indians games in the 70s when they were the Reds AAA farm club. Saw a lot of guys pass through on their way to Cincinnati. UAW gave away tickets like they were candy. I don't think I ever paid to get into old Bush Stadium.

Griffey, Wayne Simpson, Plummer...good times...

Archived