2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Great article with the nuts and bolts of it

"Player, Club or League and subject also to the right of the Commissioner to suspend the operation of this contract during any national emergency during which Major League Baseball is not played.” (emphasis added)

Thus, when President Trump declared a state of emergency on March 13, 2020 in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic, Commissioner Manfred effectively had the right to suspend immediately all player contracts, including any payment obligations of the clubs thereunder, indefinitely for the period of time during which the state of emergency was in effect and games were not being played."

Also...

"With  respect to player salaries, the MLB and MLBPA opted for a pro-rated approach based on the number of games actually played during the 2020 season. Under the agreement, each player is to receive a portion of his scheduled full-season salary based on the number of games actually played against a traditional season of 162 games."

Thanks for sharing these. Kind of changes things for me. If it was written in and agreed on before....players have to honor their agreements.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Get ready I guess because it seems like the DH thing is going to happen for NL teams this year. 

If it's just this year, I can live with that... extraordinary times, extraordinary measures and all that...

But permanently I'm gone...

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for sharing these. Kind of changes things for me. If it was written in and agreed on before....players have to honor their agreements.

Players, or at least all of them that I have heard, are okay with only getting a pro-rated portion of their contracts based on the number of games actually played. They are not okay with the additional pay cut, on top of the proration, that owners proposed. 

23 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Having a DH will probably help the Reds because the have a glut of good hitting OF's.

Yep.  Castellanos especially will benefit.  Not a good fielder at all and now they can keep him in games late instead of replacing him for defensive purposes.   

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yep.  Castellanos especially will benefit.  Not a good fielder at all and now they can keep him in games late instead of replacing him for defensive purposes.   

Only saw him for a short time....but Castellanos isn't going to win any gold gloves but he's capable and can play both corners and 3B. Selfishly I hope he opts out after this season when the $ starts flowing again. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Only saw him for a short time....but Castellanos isn't going to win any gold gloves but he's capable and can play both corners and 3B. Selfishly I hope he opts out after this season when the $ starts flowing again. 

As a Reds fan, losing out on this season is a crusher.  The club finally goes all in with Moustakis, Castellanos, Bauer, Miley, etc. and the best we can hope for is a half season and only getting to see them on TV.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

As a Reds fan, losing out on this season is a crusher.  The club finally goes all in with Moustakis, Castellanos, Bauer, Miley, etc. and the best we can hope for is a half season and only getting to see them on TV.  

Trust me. I haven't gone into the fetal position but in the very, very fear based back of my brain I've thought about teams I like support,etc....but also thinking about IU Football and Hoops this year. Both programs are showing signs of strength and now this. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. I haven't gone into the fetal position but in the very, very fear based back of my brain I've thought about teams I like support,etc....but also thinking about IU Football and Hoops this year. Both programs are showing signs of strength and now this. 

I even have it on the high school level.  My kids go to Silver Creek and they had a real chance at 3 straight 3A basketball championships.  Got the one last year, were #1 all season this year until Covid shut everything down, and now I'm getting concerned that next season may not even happen.  And, despite how good they have been the last couple of years, next season is the year everyone has been looking forward to all along.  Only senior on this year's team was the 8th man in the rotation.  

14 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

LOL at all you NL fan boys.....

Haha...I know a couple White Sox fans too! I also know a Yankees fan but he also happens to be a Packers fan, Kentucky basketball fan, Bama football fan, and Lakers fan too. Used to cheer for Gordon in Nascar too. 

Watching a replay of Game 3 of the 1976 World Series.  Was struck by how much the game has changed in regards to baserunning.  The leads the Reds runners, especially Concepcion and Geronimo, got off first base were huge.  It got me wondering and I compared stats. 

The 76 Reds had 8 guys with double digits in stolen bases, including Bench and Perez.  rose was the only one with less than 10 and he had 9.  Morgan had 60 and Griffey had 34.

Compare that to the Reds last season.  Senzel and Puig were the only Reds with more than ten steals, and they only had 14 each.

Meant to post yesterday...apparently Armando Galarraga is hoping MLB will recognize his perfect game in 2010. 

I'd say there's about a 0% chance MLB does, even though they should. And before someone comments that blown calls happen and you can't fix them all, this was the final out of a perfect game. Not a blown call in the 7th inning of a Game 6, not a blown call that led to five more baserunners afterward...a game-ending, final out. It shouldn't be that difficult...but purists have a knack for making things 10 times harder than they need to be. 

12 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Meant to post yesterday...apparently Armando Galarraga is hoping MLB will recognize his perfect game in 2010. 

I'd say there's about a 0% chance MLB does, even though they should. And before someone comments that blown calls happen and you can't fix them all, this was the final out of a perfect game. Not a blown call in the 7th inning of a Game 6, not a blown call that led to five more baserunners afterward...a game-ending, final out. It shouldn't be that difficult...but purists have a knack for making things 10 times harder than they need to be. 

Yeah i think it would be different if they had lost but no harm in giving it to the man he earned it. 

One thing that stuck with me when this first happened is how much class Galarraga exhibited in the aftermath.  I probably would have been a raving lunatic and made a fool of myself had it happened to me.

As I said in a previous post, what's done is done...

The rules at the time didn't allow for instant replay, so Joyce's call stands...

If it's the notoriety he wants, name the other 23 pitchers that have pitched a perfect game...

Ok, name the guy that got screwed out of one on an umpires call on the last out...

They tried to gift Ernie Shore a perfect game once too...didn't come to fruition either...

For conversation sake only. Would you prefer a shortened season without fans played vs teams closer to you vs normal AL/NL schedules? Or just cancel the season and wait to come back full throttle in 2021?

Honestly I prefer the prior just because I want any form of daily sports back on tv.....but if the players/owners can't make some progress in the next 10-14 days on this contract I'd say the latter is becoming more probable. Only issue is what to do with players who signed 1 year deals or have opt out clauses? Do they become free agent again?

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For conversation sake only. Would you prefer a shortened season without fans played vs teams closer to you vs normal AL/NL schedules? Or just cancel the season and wait to come back full throttle in 2021?

Honestly I prefer the prior just because I want any form of daily sports back on tv.....but if the players/owners can't make some progress in the next 10-14 days on this contract I'd say the latter is becoming more probable. Only issue is what to do with players who signed 1 year deals or have opt out clauses? Do they become free agent again?

I guess I'd like the former too...if just for a gateway to normalcy...

David Ross will get a free pass this year as far as I'm concerned, but we'll definitely get some insight to how he's going to manage...if they employ the DH universally this year, it'll be a shaded glimpse...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess I'd like the former too...if just for a gateway to normalcy...

David Ross will get a free pass this year as far as I'm concerned, but we'll definitely get some insight to how he's going to manage...if they employ the DH universally this year, it'll be a shaded glimpse...

Yep. I'm torn a bit on Cubs. Ross will get a pass this year and next for me to evaluate how he's going to manage use his roster,etc....but the other side of my brain says the obvious. This team/organization is in win now mode and if we don't I'm going to probably not be as friendly with how much time to give Ross. All over the place. Haha.

Archived