2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/15/2020 at 6:40 PM, 5fouls said:

Watching a replay of Game 3 of the 1976 World Series.  Was struck by how much the game has changed in regards to baserunning.  The leads the Reds runners, especially Concepcion and Geronimo, got off first base were huge.  It got me wondering and I compared stats. 

The 76 Reds had 8 guys with double digits in stolen bases, including Bench and Perez.  rose was the only one with less than 10 and he had 9.  Morgan had 60 and Griffey had 34.

Compare that to the Reds last season.  Senzel and Puig were the only Reds with more than ten steals, and they only had 14 each.

Everyone wants to take the Earl Weaver tack and wait for the 3 run homer...

The tainted power surge of the late 90s, fueled by steroids, did more damage to the game than just reputation...it's all (home run) or nothing (strikeout). 

Bobby Bonds held the record for strikeouts (189 in 1970) in a season for 34 years until Adam Dunn broke it in 2004. Bonds now stands at tied for 31st on the list...

I'm a Crash Davis type guy...

"Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic."

Of course, the infield shifts that Scott bitches about would just gobble them up...😁

On this day in MLB History. Phillies beat Cubs 23-22 at Wrigley. 50 hits, 11 home runs. 3 by Kingman. We didn't have cable yet but I can remember getting home from school and getting to neighbors house who did. Not sure how many games in MLB history have had 2 teams score 20+ but that has to be a trivia question.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

On this day in MLB History. Phillies beat Cubs 23-22 at Wrigley. 50 hits, 11 home runs. 3 by Kingman. We didn't have cable yet but I can remember getting home from school and getting to neighbors house who did. Not sure how many games in MLB history have had 2 teams score 20+ but that has to be a trivia question.

I watched that game on TV...Well truth be told I turned the channel when it was like 17-4 Phil's...

Turned it back on and it was tied at 22...

Only in Wrigley...

• KDB pinned this topic
11 minutes ago, rico said:

Are these guys ever gonna play?

If we don't see some movement this week in talks between players/owners I'll start leaning towards or accepting the idea this season just might not happen at all. Amazing opportunity for MLB to lead the charge on coming up with a return plan....and they let NBA, NHL, Auto Racing, and Golf all upstage them so far.

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If we don't see some movement this week in talks between players/owners I'll start leaning towards or accepting the idea this season just might not happen at all. Amazing opportunity for MLB to lead the charge on coming up with a return plan....and they let NBA, NHL, Auto Racing, and Golf all upstage them so far.

Very frustrated/disgusted with MLB.  The opportunity was there to do something positive and they are pissing it away.

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Be interesting to see how this turns out...a signed lease means you're on the hook for the whole amount unless there's language in the contract (act of God) that absolves Syndergaard...

I can see both sides of it...

Both he and the landlord will probably get bailed out, and regular Joe Taxpayer will foot the bill...

Another day another day of problems for baseball. Seems to me the MLB owners are trying to take a page out of the NFL owners playbook. Give a larger % of prorated salaries to 2/3 of the league who are earning $1M or less....while asking it's stars/large contract earners to take a bigger pay cut. Make the stars feel the pressure of holding up things (perception wise) because by and large 2/3 of most rosters actually need their paychecks and money. 

Really starting to think unless some massive change happens baseball will once again start losing some fans.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:19 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Happy 58th birthday to one of my all time favorites Eric Davis. 

We were at a Carolina minor league game about 10 years ago and Eric Davis came walking by us pregame (we were the only ones around)...he was doing some coaching at the time and I was able to talk to him for a minute and he signed a ball I had on me...I loved going to those AA games as we met lots of former MLB and future MLB players, it will be disappointing if they can't play this year.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Season is definitely at risk.  Some owners willing to cancel season to save money.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/some-mlb-owners-perfectly-willing-to-cancel-2020-season-to-save-money-per-report/

Been my fear for last 10 days....initially I thought they would get together and figure it out. In baseball world though I've never understood how far owners/players are apart until times like this. They literally despise each other.

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Been my fear for last 10 days....initially I thought they would get together and figure it out. In baseball world though I've never understood how far owners/players are apart until times like this. They literally despise each other.

I was soooo looking forward to this season...oh well, football season is right around the corner.

I've always thought the leagues/divisions should be realigned...

AL Northeast

Yankees

Mets

Red Sox

Phillies

Pirates

AL Atlantic

Orioles

Nats

Braves

Rays

Marlins

AL Midwest

Reds

Indians

Tigers

Blue Jays

Brewers

NL Midwest

Cubs 

White Sox

Twins

Cards

Royals

NL West

Astros

Rangers

Rockies

Diamondbacks

Mariners

NL California

Giants

Dodgers

As

Angels

Padres

Try to preserve some in state rivalries, along with traditional rivalries here...

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've always thought the leagues/divisions should be realigned...

AL Northeast

Yankees

Mets

Red Sox

Phillies

Pirates

AL Atlantic

Orioles

Nats

Braves

Rays

Marlins

AL Midwest

Reds

Indians

Tigers

Blue Jays

Brewers

NL Midwest

Cubs 

White Sox

Twins

Cards

Royals

NL West

Astros

Rangers

Rockies

Diamondbacks

Mariners

NL California

Giants

Dodgers

As

Angels

Padres

Try to preserve some in state rivalries, along with traditional rivalries here...

Fine time for a Cubs fan to want realignment....you guys "made" the Reds and Braves play in the NL West over your petty rivalries.  LOL

Archived