2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, rico said:

I see where Matt Kemp inked a minor league deal with the Rocks.  I looked up his stats...geez he was an AS in 2018.

Perfect year for signings veteran players like this one. Short 90 day windows with Spring Training, Games,etc...instead of the early February to end of October which could be 8-9 months of having to be on. Of course they needed a DH or OF to help out since Desmond isn't playing.

Interesting that MLB cannot name players that test positive for Covid nbecause of HIPAA, but that has not stopped the PGA and NBA.  Maybe in the NBA case, the media is just figuring it out.  But, for Golf, that info seems to be coming directly from the PGA.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29389792/mlb-teams-id-players-test-positive-coronavirus

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Bonilla always gets attention each year probably because of the Mets (New York,etc....) but Sutter's contract was just as bad. If not worse. https://fansided.com/2020/07/01/atlanta-braves-bobby-bonilla-contract-bruce-sutter/

Guess I'll throw this in here under baseball/random stats. On twitter yesterday people were asked to name a random sport stat that blows your mind. Here's one that stood out. More men have walked on the moon (12) than have scored against Mariano Rivera in the postseason (11). Another good one Gwynn faced Maddux 107 times and never struck out. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I'll throw this in here under baseball/random stats. On twitter yesterday people were asked to name a random sport stat that blows your mind. Here's one that stood out. More men have walked on the moon (12) than have scored against Mariano Rivera in the postseason (11). Another good one Gwynn faced Maddux 107 times and never struck out. 

Bet Mariano wishes he had the one Craig Counsell scored back though...

I didn't remember this but watch this clip with the broadcast...McCarver called it perfectly...

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw last night that in a game 30 years ago that Andy Hawkins of the Yankees threw a no hitter but lost 4-0.  The next game he threw 11 scoreless innings but gave up a run in the 12th to lose the game.

2 things about Hawkins...

1)  Hawkins is the last MLB to pitch into the 12th inning.

2)  He is the only guy to record a win in the WS for San Diego.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

2 things about Hawkins...

1)  Hawkins is the last MLB to pitch into the 12th inning.

2)  He is the only guy to record a win in the WS for San Diego.

Starters today usually don't get passed the 6th inning any longer let alone the 11th.

Listening to WLW and the announcer talked about a game from 7/2/63 which is said to be the greatest pitching game ever.  The game went 16 innings and the Giants won 1-0 on a walk off homer by Willie Mays. The two starting pitches pitched complete games with Juan Marichal going 16.0 with no runs and the losing pitcher Warren Spahn pitched 15.2 giving up one run.  I think Marichal threw 227 pitches and Spahn threw 201 pitches.  Also Spahn was 42 years old and led the league with 22 complete games which is probably about what the whole league has today.  Really these pitchers were pretty pitch efficient because today you see starters throwing 100 pitches in 5 innings.

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Listening to WLW and the announcer talked about a game from 7/2/63 which is said to be the greatest pitching game ever.  The game went 16 innings and the Giants won 1-0 on a walk off homer by Willie Mays. The two starting pitches pitched complete games with Juan Marichal going 16.0 with no runs and the losing pitcher Warren Spahn pitched 15.2 giving up one run.  I think Marichal threw 227 pitches and Spahn threw 201 pitches.  Also Spahn was 42 years old and led the league with 22 complete games which is probably about what the whole league has today.  Really these pitchers were pretty pitch efficient because today you see starters throwing 100 pitches in 5 innings.

Box Score

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=196307020SFN

I'm sure people saw but if not Jose Quintana cut his throwing hand doing dishes. Yep. Dishes. Out 2 weeks minimum for surgery. No guarantees he'll  be up and running when season starts. I already had some concerns about starting pitching. This won't help.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure people saw but if not Jose Quintana cut his throwing hand doing dishes. Yep. Dishes. Out 2 weeks minimum for surgery. No guarantees he'll  be up and running when season starts. I already had some concerns about starting pitching. This won't help.

He can't afford a dishwasher, human or mechanical?

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He can't afford a dishwasher, human or mechanical?

Guess not. Cubs got him on the cheap which made the contract and trade seem good at the time but apparently $10M per year isn't enough for a dishwasher. Between this and Morrow injuring himself 2 years ago putting his pants on?? Always something on the North Side. 

55 minutes ago, rico said:

Founded in 1901 and originally known as the Blues, the Cleveland franchise has gone by the "Indians" moniker since 1915, after also being called the "Bronchos" and "Naps." 

I don't know the origin of the "Bronchos" name (although I'd think Browns fans would find it ironic) but the "Nap" name is for Napoleon Lajoie...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Founded in 1901 and originally known as the Blues, the Cleveland franchise has gone by the "Indians" moniker since 1915, after also being called the "Bronchos" and "Naps." 

I don't know the origin of the "Bronchos" name (although I'd think Browns fans would find it ironic) but the "Nap" name is for Napoleon Lajoie...

I was curious and looked up the "Brochos".  It appears the players picked the name.

But that took me to something far more interesting.  The 1902 Broncho stats.

Team BA: .289

Team ERA: 3.28

Runs Scored: 686  Runs Allowed: 667

W-L Record  69-67  for 5th in the AL

Archived