2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

Covid/MLB news...

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/07/06/mlb-covid-19-test-delays-impacting-multiple-teams/

Is there really going to be a season?

At this point I still believe a season is happening but it seems like baseball just needs to start because the off the field stuff has been one of the best coordinated messes in sports history. Can't remember another sports league having this many issues. I'm still waiting for a few more big names to say no dice this year.

Not sure how much advantage other than travel but schedules coming out. Cubs get Cardinals and Brewers for 7 of 10 games at Wrigley. Play 7 of 10 at Reds/at Pirates. This year though with reduced if any capacities I don't see home field having a true advantage other than travel. 

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure how much advantage other than travel but schedules coming out. Cubs get Cardinals and Brewers for 7 of 10 games at Wrigley. Play 7 of 10 at Reds/at Pirates. This year though with reduced if any capacities I don't see home field having a true advantage other than travel. 

Saw on MLB network that the Reds has the easiest schedule for the first month of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/schedule/2020-08

1 hour ago, rico said:

Did I just see 17 games in a row to start the season?

Sounds about right. I'll need to look at more but Cubs have 17 to start, get a day off followed by another 9. I'm still convinced something is going to happen between now and start. Just yesterday 2 teams suspend practice because they couldn't get test results or whatever and Bryant for Cubs said he really thought there would be more testing. Explained he thought everything would be fine to play now he isn't so sure.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds about right. I'll need to look at more but Cubs have 17 to start, get a day off followed by another 9. I'm still convinced something is going to happen between now and start. Just yesterday 2 teams suspend practice because they couldn't get test results or whatever and Bryant for Cubs said he really thought there would be more testing. Explained he thought everything would be fine to play now he isn't so sure.

I ain't so sure either.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

The economics of cancelling the season are mind-boggling.

Yep.....all the way down to the beer vendors and parking lot attendants. The reach of not having fans in all sports is heartbreaking. Hundreds of thousands of employees nationwide in every ballpark, stadium, gym, restaurants/bars food servers near ballparks, parking, hotel employees all they way down to the guy in the can at Cubby Bear who gives me a towel or shot of cologne for a few bucks. Haha.

15 hours ago, landrus13 said:

I'm pretty optimistic they'll have a season. Not sure they'll finish it, but I think they'll start. I'm curious what happens if a team has an outbreak. Do they just drop the team or what??

I am more concerned about the chewing of sunflower seeds!  LOL 

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs/Braves don't play this year ending the longest uninterrupted series ever in American SPORTS history after 146 years dating to 1873. Assuming there's some breaks in there for WWII.

Maybe the playoffs?

Now that would have been one helluva trivia question.

Turned on MLB Network and is having the 84 game between the Cards and Cubs. I when Bob Dernier came up in the first they gave an amazing stat for Dernier.  He is the lead off hitter and in the first inning he was 34 for 56 up to that point in the season.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Turned on MLB Network and is having the 84 game between the Cards and Cubs. I when Bob Dernier came up in the first they gave an amazing stat for Dernier.  He is the lead off hitter and in the first inning he was 34 for 56 up to that point in the season.

The Sandberg game?

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yep where he hit two home runs off of Suter. 

My oldest daughter was 6 weeks old (she's 36 now) and it was the first time I was trusted to watch her by myself while my wife went out with her mom shopping.

Great game to watch and a great day in Cubs lore...

His two homers tied the game...Davey Owen knocked in the game winner...

Archived