2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

58 minutes ago, slojoe said:

It would be a lot harder for the NFL and MLB for several reasons.

First, is roster size.  MLB is 26 and actually higher in the emergency.  NFL is 40(?).  Roster size a problem for two reasons.  One is you have to have a "bubble" that can handle that many people.  Another is that there is likely to be more chance for spread with this many people close together.

Second, is playing field.  Football and baseball fields of sufficient quality may be difficult to find in a place that can also handle roster size.

Baseball would be very easy because there are plenty of spring training sites in Arizona or Florida.  Really you would only need about 2 sites for it to work well.  You could put the Central in like where the Reds and Indiana train and do that for the East and the west as well.  You have the main field plus probably at least 5 other fields on the complex.  In the NBA they are only using 3 arenas down there so there is going to be a lot of players being around each other.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Yes, bullpens are crazy!  There's just no telling what will happen.  But the Cubs did pretty well break up their pen.  I think it was probably necessary because several the key pieces had lost their confidence for multiple reasons.  That's the most important thing in my opinion about relievers.  They need great confidence.  If they have a bad night, they have to put it behind them and be ready the next night.  If they lose confidence, they start trying to be "perfect" which just make things worse.

Chapman clearly a "loan".  Cubs were never going to able to sign him.  He was there as a shut down reliever.

Glad Cubs didn't trade Schwarber for Miller.  He had bad knees, and he never really regained his previous effectiveness.

Miller was really solid in 2016 and 2017 if memory is correct...before slipping in 2018. I know he did well in the postseason 2016. I do think the cubs tried to extend Chapman but he wanted free agency and probably a return to NY.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Baseball would be very easy because there are plenty of spring training sites in Arizona or Florida.  Really you would only need about 2 sites for it to work well.  You could put the Central in like where the Reds and Indiana train and do that for the East and the west as well.  You have the main field plus probably at least 5 other fields on the complex.  In the NBA they are only using 3 arenas down there so there is going to be a lot of players being around each other.

This is what I was thinking for baseball as well. MLB could have even put the AL in Arizona and NL in Florida, or whatever. I realize the NFL can't do a bubble...but they need to come up with a better protocols than MLB has going on.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is what I was thinking for baseball as well. MLB could have even put the AL in Arizona and NL in Florida, or whatever. I realize the NFL can't do a bubble...but they need to come up with a better protocols than MLB has going on.

Actually how baseball is doing their schedule is that you are only plying within your division and playing the same region in the AL.  With the Reds they are only playing the NL and AL central teams so that is why I said all of the central can be in one location.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Actually how baseball is doing their schedule is that you are only plying within your division and playing the same region in the AL.  With the Reds they are only playing the NL and AL central teams so that is why I said all of the central can be in one location.

I haven't even really looked closely at the schedules...but I do remember reading that. I was just speaking in hypothetical, however...if MLB was inclined they could have separated the NL and AL into two spring training sites to play their games...or they could have broken them up into whatever pods they wanted to make it more effective. I just think it is unnecessary to have them playing in home stadiums if fans aren't allowed anyway. In my opinion it creates lots of unnecessary travel/exposure.  

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I haven't even really looked closely at the schedules...but I do remember reading that. I was just speaking in hypothetical, however...if MLB was inclined they could have separated the NL and AL into two spring training sites to play their games...or they could have broken them up into whatever pods they wanted to make it more effective. I just think it is unnecessary to have them playing in home stadiums if fans aren't allowed anyway. In my opinion it creates lots of unnecessary travel/exposure.  

Totally agree and if they would have just picked 3 or 4 spring training sites in Arizona it would ben very easy.  For the most part a lot of those training facilities are pretty close together.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yes, but the MLB rosters are double the size of NBA rosters.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree and if they would have just picked 3 or 4 spring training sites in Arizona it would ben very easy.  For the most part a lot of those training facilities are pretty close together.

Also Arizona one of hottest spots in world now for COVID-19.

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Miller was really solid in 2016 and 2017 if memory is correct...before slipping in 2018. I know he did well in the postseason 2016. I do think the cubs tried to extend Chapman but he wanted free agency and probably a return to NY.

Half correct.  He had a 1.44 ERA in '17, but has been only mediocre since in the 4+ category.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Standard night for Cubs. Starting pitching (Chatwood) pitches another gem well into the 7th. Cubs hit a few dongs...and our bullpen gives up 3 in the 9th to make an easy game a not so easy one. 

S6, Cubs don't have closers they have openers!

I think if the Cubs had a reliable closer,  they would be fine.   They haven't had a reliable closer for at least 2 years.

11 minutes ago, slojoe said:

S6, Cubs don't have closers they have openers!

I think if the Cubs had a reliable closer,  they would be fine.   They haven't had a reliable closer for at least 2 years.

Of course signed Allen last night...couple other moves sound like happening today. Theo's going to be busy until someone steps up and says that position is mine.

Well it looks like the Reds might be finding another wAy to lose a game.  They are playing the first game of a double header which are 7 inning games.  Reds up 3-0 going to the bottom of the 6th and of course Bell took out the starter.  With no one on and two puts we gave up a hit and two walks and then on a routine fly ball Costellanos drop the fly ball.  All three runs scored and now it is tied and the Tigers had the winning run in scoring position.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well it looks like the Reds might be finding another wAy to lose a game.  They are playing the first game of a double header which are 7 inning games.  Reds up 3-0 going to the bottom of the 6th and of course Bell took out the starter.  With no one on and two puts we gave up a hit and two walks and then on a routine fly ball Costellanos drop the fly ball.  All three runs scored and now it is tied and the Tigers had the winning run in scoring position.

We'll see how it plays out but to me as a Cubs fan this is why the 7 inning thing has implications on season. Reds bullpen sucks. 2 innings left and Reds get the W. Guess we'll all deal with different things this year but 9 innings should be a given. Who knows what the implications will be.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs...guess I need to polish up 2020 extra innings rules.

Yu like the new starting a base runner on second because I don't.  Also if I were the Pirates today in that last inning with a runner on 3rd and one out I would have walked the bases loaded.  Those two runners don't mean anything so I would want a force out at any base.

Reds got the double header sweep with Bauer going all 7 in the second game for a 2-0 shutout.  So far this year he has pitched 13 innings and given up one run and has 21K's

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yu like the new starting a base runner on second because I don't.  Also if I were the Pirates today in that last inning with a runner on 3rd and one out I would have walked the bases loaded.  Those two runners don't mean anything so I would want a force out at any base.

Reds got the double header sweep with Bauer going all 7 in the second game for a 2-0 shutout.  So far this year he has pitched 13 innings and given up one run and has 21K's

Hate it. We'll find out what it means but today is perfect example. Reds win one by 7th inning rule....and who knows if Cubs win by extra innings. But...this is what's going to happen this year. Good with bad.

Court is in session with THE JUDGE presiding....

Yankees came from behind late in the game, got their brooms out and swept the Red Sawks by a 9-7 score!

Judge is making an early case for POTY by hitting his 5th homer in 5 games> He followed that up later with a 2 run shot that provided the game winner. He accounted for 5 RBIs

Go Yankees

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Hate it. We'll find out what it means but today is perfect example. Reds win one by 7th inning rule....and who knows if Cubs win by extra innings. But...this is what's going to happen this year. Good with bad.

Actually they won two 7 inning games

Take note Cubs' fans.  "Baby Rico" had his 29th Birthday party Sat. night.  Here is a pic of the Klan after some adult beverages and funny things.  My Sis is in the middle and Trent is on the right.  The guy on the left is me.  See what shirt I am sporting.

IMG_0033.JPG

2 hours ago, rico said:

Take note Cubs' fans.  "Baby Rico" had his 29th Birthday party Sat. night.  Here is a pic of the Klan after some adult beverages and funny things.  My Sis is in the middle and Trent is on the right.  The guy on the left is me.  See what shirt I am sporting.

IMG_0033.JPG

Now if only that shirt had some pinstripes.....

Archived