2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

On 8/9/2020 at 12:05 PM, FritzIam4IU said:

He tore it up with the Cubs after they acquired him last season as well. He hit well at Wrigley and had .321 with 16 HRs and 36 RBIs in 212 at bats with Chicago...in other words I think he could do just fine at Wrigley as well...I am actually a little surprised Cubs didn't make more of a push for him last year.

Don't shoot the messenger (me), but the Cubs didn't sign him because of payroll limits from ownership.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Can’t believe there’s been no talk about Gerrit Cole’s fingers sticking to his hat over the weekend. 

What was his next pitch?

If it was a breaking pitch, that would make sense as I'm sure you can get a better spin rate with pine tar on your index finger...

If it was a fastball, I wouldn't think so. I've read pitchers use pine tar to "increase control." I don't buy that. To make it easier to "pull down" on a breaking pitch, I can see though...

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Same. Their entire week has been postponed. Now the Pirates are in a mess because of the Cardinals players. We've discussed forfeiting before on here and I think most of us don't want that but at some point the Cardinals either will be forced to forfeit or like option 3 said.....start pulling guys off the end of bar stools.  The rest of the NL Central and baseball shouldn't be put in a difficult situation because of them. 

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What was his next pitch?

If it was a breaking pitch, that would make sense as I'm sure you can get a better spin rate with pine tar on your index finger...

If it was a fastball, I wouldn't think so. I've read pitchers use pine tar to "increase control." I don't buy that. To make it easier to "pull down" on a breaking pitch, I can see though...

I’m not sure it matters what the next pitch is. It’s not a one-time use only substance. It’s a sticky foreign substance that allows a pitcher a competitive advantage. I’m surprised how easily some broken rules are swept under the carpet. 

53 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I’m not sure it matters what the next pitch is. It’s not a one-time use only substance. It’s a sticky foreign substance that allows a pitcher a competitive advantage. I’m surprised how easily some broken rules are swept under the carpet. 

You would think a former Astro would be under scrutiny?  Maybe not.

After seeing a couple of homers by the Reds i would love to be a hitter playing in that ball park half a  half the season.  One and maybe both homeruns would probably not been out of many ball parks.  I hope Costellanos see this and wants to not opt out and stay in Cincy.

11 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I was just thinking back to when pitched in various men's/semi-pro leagues (40 or so years ago)...

I've read that pine tar can increase the spin on a fastball, making it move more, but it would seem to me that it might make you "pull" pitches...Hard to find the strike zone that way, at least it was for me...

Pine tar on the inside of an index finger might get more spin on a curve or slider, but I'd also be worried about ripping skin...A pitcher with blisters/torn skin on their fingers is like a tiddlywinks champ with a hangnail...

I know i harp of the Reds manager David Bell but he just did another thing that boggles my mind.  Up 5-3 in the bottom of the 6th he pinch hits for Matt Davison who was 1-1 with a walk and HR for Van Meter who has not gotten a hit all year.  Then he pinch  runs for Winker who is 2-2 and a walk and homerun.  Mind you this is only the 6th inning where these guys will get up again and with our bullpen we could lose this lead easily.  Now the top of the 7th he takes out Castillo who has retired like 5 batters in a row and only had 96 pitches. He had given up 3 runs but only 1 was earned.  No way I trust this bullpen until the 8th where he uses Garrett and Iglesias in the 9th.  He brings in Nate Jones with a 5.06 ERA and he has already given up 2 singles and no outs.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know i harp of the Reds manager David Bell but he just did another thing that boggles my mind.  Up 5-3 in the bottom of the 6th he pinch hits for Matt Davison who was 1-1 with a walk and HR for Van Meter who has not gotten a hit all year.  Then he pinch  runs for Winker who is 2-2 and a walk and homerun.  Mind you this is only the 6th inning where these guys will get up again and with our bullpen we could lose this lead easily.  Now the top of the 7th he takes out Castillo who has retired like 5 batters in a row and only had 96 pitches. He had given up 3 runs but only 1 was earned.  No way I trust this bullpen until the 8th where he uses Garrett and Iglesias in the 9th.  He brings in Nate Jones with a 5.06 ERA and he has already given up 2 singles and no outs.

Well Jones got out of the bases loaded 1 out jam with a hard ground ball double play.  In the 8th the bullpen gave up a 5-3 lead and now the game is tied at 5.  Garrett one of the few guys pitching well out of the pen gave up a two run homer.  Now the bullpen has now given up runs in 14 of the 17 games they have appeared.  It is not like they are having to pitch 4 or 5 innings every game since they have the best starting rotation baseball.

So with the new extra inning rule where a runner starts the inning at 2nd do you try to bunt them over to 3rd.  The Reds game is going to extra innings and they mentioned how a game the other night between the Dodgers and Astros no team tried that.  I can't believe no team tried that in a 15 inning game especially a home team after the other team didn't score.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lester has another strong outing, and despite spotty hitting and a terrible bullpen (although they looked good yesterday) the Cubs are 11-3 (.786) and 4.5 up in the NL Central. 

David Ross is doing a helluva job...

It's amazing what a manager can look like when players actually hit runners in. Haha. Bullpen has me nervous for postseason but I'll worry about that at the end of September. Hopefully we get another one tonight and welcome Brewers and Cardinals (we hope) back to Wrigley.

Glad to see that David Bell is not the only manager who takes out a starter who is pitching great.  KC pitcher went 6 shutout innings on only 90 pitches but took him out.  Bottom of the 7th the Reds has scored 3 on two homeruns.  There are still no outs and the score is 5-0

Hit another Homerun in the 7th to make it 5-4.  Well Costellanos is in slump because he went from batting .426 to .277 in just over a week.

David bell is such an idiot.  In the 8th inning he took Votto out for a pinch runner but in the end it comes back to bite him.  In the 8th we didn't end up scoring so the score was still 5-4 Royals.  Still 5-4 in the bottom of the 9th the Reds loads the bases with 1 out and Votto's spot is due up.  So instead of Votto up with the bases but Christian Colon was up and hit into a double play into a double play to end the game

Cubs 12-3. 5 game lead on a team that has played 5 games and 5.5 game lead on teams that were supposed to be better. So far so good for a team that is in reinventing mode. Shoot all the Cubs have to do from this point is play .500 and win the NL Central. Not a bad start for Ross at all. Awesome job.

Archived