2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs 12-3. 5 game lead on a team that has played 5 games and 5.5 game lead on teams that were supposed to be better. So far so good for a team that is in reinventing mode. Shoot all the Cubs have to do from this point is play .500 and win the NL Central. Not a bad start for Ross at all. Awesome job.

10 games in a row at Wrigley:  Brewers (4); Cards (3); and White Sox (3).  A good home stand will go a long way in putting this thing away early. 

On 8/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, IU Scott said:

I know i harp of the Reds manager David Bell but he just did another thing that boggles my mind.  Up 5-3 in the bottom of the 6th he pinch hits for Matt Davison who was 1-1 with a walk and HR for Van Meter who has not gotten a hit all year.  Then he pinch  runs for Winker who is 2-2 and a walk and homerun.  Mind you this is only the 6th inning where these guys will get up again and with our bullpen we could lose this lead easily.  Now the top of the 7th he takes out Castillo who has retired like 5 batters in a row and only had 96 pitches. He had given up 3 runs but only 1 was earned.  No way I trust this bullpen until the 8th where he uses Garrett and Iglesias in the 9th.  He brings in Nate Jones with a 5.06 ERA and he has already given up 2 singles and no outs.

A little crow never hurt any one, Scott.

8 minutes ago, slojoe said:

10 games in a row at Wrigley:  Brewers (4); Cards (3); and White Sox (3).  A good home stand will go a long way in putting this thing away early. 

Hope so. Brewers are coming in thinking they have to take 3 of 4. Who knows with Cardinals.  MLB and Cards have messed this situation up so much I'm not concerned much about them at this point. Having to play as many as 10 doubleheaders at some point will undoubtedly take it's toll on them. Which leaves the White Sox. There on rebuild version 4 or 5 right now but beating the Cubs is their Super Bowl. 

Tough stretch coming to town for sure. Hopefully we continue getting outstanding starting pitching.

Another positive test for Cardinals staffer. At some point MLB is going to have to act on this right? They have 3 vs white sox and 3 vs Cubs this weekend into next. Are teams that are following protocols supposed to be punished because apparently one team can't handle things? 

Great start for the Reds with Pittsburgh already up 7-0 and still batting in the 2nd.  Disco on his first two starts in 12 innings gave up 5 hits so far today in 1.1 innings he has given up 10 hits and 7 runs.  Bell is keeping a pitcher in that getting shelled but will take out a starter with a shutout.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Great start for the Reds with Pittsburgh already up 7-0 and still batting in the 2nd.  Disco on his first two starts in 12 innings gave up 5 hits so far today in 1.1 innings he has given up 10 hits and 7 runs.  Bell is keeping a pitcher in that getting shelled but will take out a starter with a shutout.

Finally the 2nd innings ng is over with the score 9-0.  The Reds had had the easiest schedule so far and after today they will be 8-11 which is a disgrace

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Finally the 2nd innings ng is over with the score 9-0.  The Reds had had the easiest schedule so far and after today they will be 8-11 which is a disgrace

Long way to go. The goal is to get in and get hot at end of September. With that said. Reds made plenty of moves. Right now this looks like same old Cincy.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Long way to go. The goal is to get in and get hot at end of September. With that said. Reds made plenty of moves. Right now this looks like same old Cincy.

Sure does, right now besides Winker no one is hitting.  Also when Moustakas is in the lineup they are 6-3 but he is hurt.

Well it is now 9-5 in the bottom of the 8th and Reds has guys on second and third with one out.  If Bell would have taken Disco out before he gave up 9 runs in two innings we would be in the game.

Stranded the runners so 9-5 going to the 9th inning.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

They found out Disco was tipping his pitches during the game but at that point it was to late. They needed Disco to get through at least 3 or 4 innings. Mahle and Antone weren't available and those are your long men out of the pen. Now on a positive Reed and Lorenzen both threw better yesterday. Bell screws up a lot and he changes his lineup to much but yesterday wasn't on him. 

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Another positive test for Cardinals staffer. At some point MLB is going to have to act on this right? They have 3 vs white sox and 3 vs Cubs this weekend into next. Are teams that are following protocols supposed to be punished because apparently one team can't handle things? 

Teams just won't play the Cardinals. So the MLB will just base teams making the playoffs on winning percentage if they don't make it to 60 games. The Cardinals I would say will be struggling to get enough games in to qualify for the postseason at this rate. The only teams greatly affected will be divisional teams and they could add games to their schedules later with inner divison double headers. 

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Teams just won't play the Cardinals. So the MLB will just base teams making the playoffs on winning percentage if they don't make it to 60 games. The Cardinals I would say will be struggling to get enough games in to qualify for the postseason at this rate. The only teams greatly affected will be divisional teams and they could add games to their schedules later with inner divison double headers. 

That's the part I have issue with. Adding extra games to division teams later does cause problems for starting pitchers and in some cases bullpens. We shouldn't be asked to keep making up games because of ineptness by Cardinals organization.

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the part I have issue with. Adding extra games to division teams later does cause problems for starting pitchers and in some cases bullpens. We shouldn't be asked to keep making up games because of ineptness by Cardinals organization.

We'll see what happens. I tend to disagree about it hurting the teams since it is only 7 innings in the double headers. Plus I believe you get to add a player or two for those double headers. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Am I the only one hoping the Cardinals don't win another game all season?

Well, I guess that is every season though...

22 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Back before 2016 I would have thought 2-3 would get them in the playoffs, beating a 57-3 Cubs team...

Not now though...the Billy Goat is dead...

tenor (2).gif

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

They should just give the Cubs the Cards two wins, and the Reds, Brew-Crew, and Pirates each get on of their loses.  Then, call it a day.

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Well, this is very possible as they may just be eliminated by the league before playing another game.

In other words, "you got a chance".

So Cubs have rescheduled games because of the Cardinals issues. Upcoming series is DH on Monday, regular game Tuesday, DH on Wednesday all in Wrigley. They'll flip flop home teams for 2nd half of DH games. So Cubs have 3 more this weekend with Brewers and 5 on M, T, and W before off day Thursday. Thanks Cardinals. Guess it's the way it has to work this year. Still doesn't mean fans can't be pissed when your guys do all the right things, zero virus,etc...and now 5 games in 3 days next. Shortened or not. It's 5 games.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So Cubs have rescheduled games because of the Cardinals issues. Upcoming series is DH on Monday, regular game Tuesday, DH on Wednesday all in Wrigley. They'll flip flop home teams for 2nd half of DH games. So Cubs have 3 more this weekend with Brewers and 5 on M, T, and W before off day Thursday. Thanks Cardinals. Guess it's the way it has to work this year. Still doesn't mean fans can't be pissed when your guys do all the right things, zero virus,etc...and now 5 games in 3 days next. Shortened or not. It's 5 games.

The reds has done well in DH since it is only 7 innings.  They swept the Tigers in the DH because their starters pitched 13 of the 14 innings only giving up 1 run.  I would be for 7 inning games every day.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Ken Rosenthal reports an unidentified Red's player tested positive for the virus

Just saw this. Hopefully it will be limited to just one player. They can quarantine and keep playing. I'm still really confused by the Cardinals didn't have to call up players like the Marlins did.

Archived